Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#29175 - 06/04/2001 02:34 New riocar website (replacement for www.empeg.com)
smu
old hand

Loc: Germany (Ruhrgebiet)
Hi.

I really expected this to happen, but it is still frustrating: The new empeg website (or riocar webpages, whatever they like to call it) is only usable with javascript enabled, and even tries to use ActiveX elements.
Oh well, at least the good old download section of the original site and the geek site are still online.
HEY empeg guys: Please make the sonicblue guys build an as good website as you had. That means two things: Accessibility and clearness. The product pages really should be available to any browser, even with the most secure setup (no javascript, no ActiveX, limited or no cookies). This is especially true for the support pages.

cu,
sven
(MkII 12GB blue now green, #080000113)

#29176 - 06/04/2001 07:05 Re: New riocar website (replacement for www.empeg.com) [Re: smu]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Reply from the Riohome web master:

hello rob,
we are working on these.
thankyou.
regards,
bryan

So there you have it.

#29177 - 07/04/2001 14:36 Re: New riocar website (replacement for www.empeg.com) [Re: rob]
Lemmy

Loc: Germany
So what exactly is the point in:

1. get some expensive 'Web developers' to make a major f**k-up of a website, with all things evil in it...
2. learn that your clients think 'this sucks'
3. get them 'Web developers' to remove all their fuckup for another heap of $$$...

Or is it just them 'Web developers' thinking 'Hey let's screw up those pages with $ALL_THINGS_EVIL' so the surfers will complain and then we can rake in another heap of dosh for removing that [censored]...'

SCNR,
L

#29178 - 07/04/2001 14:51 Re: New riocar website (replacement for www.empeg.com) [Re: Lemmy]
rob
carpal tunnel

Rio's web site is developed in house.

Supporting older or less featured browsers doesn't mean removing all the current stuff, it means putting thought into how that stuff can be made to work in those environments.

Rob

#29179 - 09/04/2001 20:59 Re: New riocar website (replacement for www.empeg.com) [Re: rob]
CHiP
enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey, USA
do you guys need help with the web site? i've been doing web development for 4 years. i would love to help out some how. :)

-CHiP

#29180 - 10/04/2001 10:45 Re: New riocar website (replacement for www.empeg.com) [Re: CHiP]
rob
carpal tunnel

Rio and SONICblue have quite a sizeable web team who take care of the various sites entirely in-house. Unfortunately there are far too many corporate style requirements, legal reviews and so forth to consider out sourcing portions of the task.

Thanks for the offer though!

Rob

#29181 - 10/04/2001 21:23 Re: New riocar website (replacement for www.empeg.com) [Re: rob]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
I'd hate to count the number of times the Empeg team have been offered free help!! A real credit to the community

#29182 - 12/04/2001 17:19 Re: New riocar website (replacement for www.empeg.com) [Re: muzza]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Wow. I must be getting old, slow or really busy. I just noticed the re-redesign of the site. I like it a lot better than all of those separate pop-up windows. Much better!

Paul G.
SN# 090000587 (40GB Green)

#29183 - 13/04/2001 14:12 Re: New riocar website (replacement for www.empeg.com) [Re: smu]
EngelenH
enthusiast

Loc: Belgium/Holland
Just my fair opinion (no offense intended or implied) but it really really disappoints me. I was unable to locate something I really needed ... The link to non-official resources such as this BBS. Did I just plain mis the link ? If so ok but that does not make it better. I was looking for the link, if it is there and I didn't find it chances are I am not the only one. It's only luck that I managed to remember it with some difficulty. (I reinstalled my whole home system over the last few months which is why I was a little scarce here lately. (Not that anyone cares )

In all, it would be nice if a seperate links section was made to resources like this where people can clearly and easily find them.

Cheers,
Hans

Mk2 - Blue - 080000431

#29184 - 13/04/2001 21:37 Re: New riocar website (replacement for www.empeg.com) [Re: EngelenH]
GeorgeLSJr
enthusiast

Loc: Sayreville, New Jersey USA
There's a link to the geek site on this page. The links section on the geek site has a listing for this BBS. I'm not crazy about the geek site being listed under the "box contents" page, though. It's like they're ashamed of it and "hiding" it. I would've expected it to be under "additional resources", personally.

George

#29185 - 15/04/2001 11:24 Re: New riocar website (replacement for www.empeg.com) [Re: GeorgeLSJr]
srhodes
enthusiast

Loc: Derbyshire, UK
I know what you mean. I lost all my favourites after a reformat and couldn't find the link anywhere on the Rio site but luckily a standard search came up with the site. Its now safely back in my favourites.

On another note - any more news on the radio module? I'm about to change cars and would rather put everything in the new one at the same time. When they finally come out will they be available in the UK or through the US?

Steve

18GB Mk II - Blue then Green made my display more serene.

2x80GB Mk II with Illuminated buttons