Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#292431 - 16/01/2007 07:13 Stalk controls / Hijack
julf
veteran

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
After long last, I have decided to try to sort out my (Sony) stalk controller programming. But color me clueless... The Hijack FAQ ir_translate entry is great at explaining almost everything, except what the symbolic button names actually do.

There are lots of seemingly nearly-overlapping functions, and some of them don't seem to do what the label suggests. Are the button functions documented anywhere beyond just short tags/names?

#292432 - 16/01/2007 15:32 Re: Stalk controls / Hijack [Re: julf]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
There are 10 possible "buttons" that the stalk can generate, using the physical buttons in combination with various "twists" and whatnot. Hijack uses these names for those 10 "buttons":

KOff KSource KAtt KFront KNext KPrev KVolUp KVolDown KRear KBottom

By default, they should "just work".

But if you want to change what they do, then they can be remapped. For example:

[ir_translate]
;; Use the stalk "Off" button as an empeg "Info" button instead:
KOff=Info

#292433 - 17/01/2007 08:03 Re: Stalk controls / Hijack [Re: mlord]
julf
veteran

Quote:

[ir_translate]
;; Use the stalk "Off" button as an empeg "Info" button instead:
KOff=Info

That part is actually very well documented. What I am struggling with is sort of the other side - as in "What does 'Info' do?". OK, 'Info' is easy enough, but some of the other ones are not so clear. For example, what is the difference between 'NextTrack', 'Next', 'Track+' and 'Right' in, let's say, Tuner mode? And what are the default mappings for a Sony stalk?

#292434 - 17/01/2007 12:54 Re: Stalk controls / Hijack [Re: julf]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
For example, what is the difference between 'NextTrack', 'Next', 'Track+' and 'Right' in, let's say, Tuner mode? And what are the default mappings for a Sony stalk?

All good questions, those.

Generally, the "names" match the exact spellings on the Front-Panel, Rio, Kenwood, and Stalk remotes.

The problem is that many buttons have symbols rather than names (eg. the "|<<" and ">>|" buttons on both the Kenwood and Rio remotes. And several buttons, including those two, have different names/meanings when held down for more than half a second or so. And even on the Rio Remote, some button names are used on more than one button (eg. "Source" is printed on two buttons there).

Plus, the Front-Panel buttons have no names printed on them at all.

I guess we need to publish a glossary of button names, since even I cannot remember what they all are for now. Normally I just refer to the quick reference table, also known as the button_names[] table inside the hijack.c source file. The button names and functions are reasonably easy to grok from that.

I believe I will go ahead and extract that table from the source code, and reformat it and publish it here shortly.

Cheers

#292435 - 17/01/2007 14:04 Re: Stalk controls / Hijack [Re: mlord]
julf
veteran

Quote:
Normally I just refer to the quick reference table, also known as the button_names[] table inside the hijack.c source file. The button names and functions are reasonably easy to grok from that.

Hmm. I couldn't find the hijack sorce anywhere, just binaries.
Quote:

I believe I will go ahead and extract that table from the source code, and reformat it and publish it here shortly.

That would be great!

Thanks and cheers!

#292436 - 17/01/2007 14:44 Re: Stalk controls / Hijack [Re: julf]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:

Hmm. I couldn't find the hijack sorce anywhere, just binaries.

Source is on the Hijack Site (link at top of this BBS page).

Quote:

Okay, published in a new thread in General.

#292437 - 17/01/2007 18:02 Re: Stalk controls / Hijack [Re: mlord]
julf
veteran

Quote:

Hmm, that's where I looked. I must be having a dense day, or a blonde moment.

Quote:

Okay, published in a new thread in General.

Great! Thanks!

#292438 - 17/01/2007 21:46 Re: Stalk controls / Hijack [Re: julf]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:

Hmm, that's where I looked. I must be having a dense day, or a blonde moment.

The bottom 500 lines or so of the main Hijack page consists of links to the incremental source code patchfiles, interspersed with a few complete dumps of the source tree.

Cheers

#292439 - 18/01/2007 06:26 Re: Stalk controls / Hijack [Re: mlord]
julf
veteran

Quote:
The bottom 500 lines or so of the main Hijack page consists of links to the incremental source code patchfiles, interspersed with a few complete dumps of the source tree.

So I *was* having a blonde moment. Didn't read close enough, just assumed those links were just release notes.