Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#293772 - 14/02/2007 04:22 Problems with IDE cable....
burdell1
old hand

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I have been getting the infamous "No Hard Drive Found....." error, and awhile back I took the empeg apart and the IDE cable seemed very, very slightly loose. So I tightened it up and it worked fine for quite awhile. Lately, it has been acting up again. Is there anything I can do after I tighten it up again to keep the IDE cable more secure to the hard drive?

#293773 - 14/02/2007 12:26 Re: Problems with IDE cable.... [Re: burdell1]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Maybe you just need a new cable? They usually maintain connection pretty well and don't have to be pressed flat against the plastic frame of the board IDE connector to establish a connection. In fact the Empegs all, I believe, shipped with a spacer in between the cable and the header. The other possibility is that you have a bad solder joint or joints and resecuring the connector just happened to reseat the joint.

Stu

#293774 - 14/02/2007 16:07 Re: Problems with IDE cable.... [Re: burdell1]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Is there anything I can do after I tighten it up again to keep the IDE cable more secure to the hard drive?

They actually used hot glue at the factory on most of the players. See the drive upgrade guide for pictures and movies of the gluing and removal procedures.

Also make sure it's not one of the myriad other problems that might cause the same error message (as Stu already suggested).