Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#295412 - 16/03/2007 20:44 Car insurance prices... in New Jersey
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
How do I not go broke over car insurance? And if I switch to a cheap company, will I get cheap service? Anyone have a positive recommendation?

I have no accidents and a 4.7 year old ticket, yet my car insurance rates go up every year. I recently found my insurance company listed two of my sister's accidents on my policy for years!! Now they've been removed, but my premium didn't drop (currently or retroactively).

And I thought I fit all their nearly-illigal profiling - safe driver, college degree, decent job, homeowner, money in the bank, not young anymore (27), etc, etc. Sure I take a hit for being male and single, but come on.

When I called my agent about the incorrect accident listing, she called back with a quote $1000 less with another company "because they look at other things." Was she trying to sneak away from the mistake? Will the other company give me bad service/payout if I need it?

I'm going to try Geico (again) and USAA (if I qualify). Any other companies? Any other agencies? Thanks.

#295413 - 16/03/2007 23:11 Re: Car insurance prices... in New Jersey [Re: FireFox31]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
I was a satisfied Amica customer for many years. I only switched because I encountered a specific inflexible policy constraint related to off street parking (and living on a boat). But I felt like they were straightforward and would look at them in future.

Years ago, I foreswore the Government Employees Insurance Company because of their stance on radar detectors. I do like the caveman adverts, tho. Very clever.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#295414 - 17/03/2007 00:10 Re: Car insurance prices... in New Jersey [Re: jimhogan]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Quote:
Years ago, I foreswore the Government Employees Insurance Company because of their stance on radar detectors.

Ha! That makes two of us!

tanstaafl.

#295415 - 17/03/2007 02:02 Re: Car insurance prices... in New Jersey [Re: jimhogan]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

I wonder if the insurance company overcharged me and is not owning up to it. Why not, I have no way to prove they overcharged me because I don't have their actuarial formula. Any idea how I could find the truth about my last 4 years of auto insurance?

#295416 - 17/03/2007 11:23 Re: Car insurance prices... in New Jersey [Re: FireFox31]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I personally use State Farm in NJ. Not the greatest, but it works and is not too bad. I have also heard very good things about Manufacturers. If you want more info, I will see if I can dig up some info on them.

#295417 - 17/03/2007 13:50 Re: Car insurance prices... in New Jersey [Re: FireFox31]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
The one observation I have is the the initial quote is usually low balled. You don't really find out what the cost will be until you ask for a policy, then it's "Oh, the initial quote had some mistakes in it. So sorry."

#295418 - 19/03/2007 12:05 Re: Car insurance prices... in New Jersey [Re: pgrzelak]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Quote:
I personally use State Farm in NJ. Not the greatest, but it works and is not too bad.

I use to use State Farm, although not in NJ. I dropped them because they kept raising my rates even though I had one ticket (over 10 years ago) and no accidents. My premium went up almost 50% over four years with them.

#295419 - 19/03/2007 12:17 Re: Car insurance prices... in New Jersey [Re: Tim]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
Odd, that. I've hade State Farm for over 10 years, and my premium has never gone up. Take that back, I had an 8$ a month hike a few years back, but that's it. Not sure if it matters, but I also use them for Flood, Fire, and Homeowners. Not to mention my wife's car is also on my policy. So I guess I probably get a fair amount of breaks.

#295420 - 20/03/2007 11:27 Re: Car insurance prices... in New Jersey [Re: lectric]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
I asked them about it before just dropping them (since I've had State Farm since I could drive). They said that even though I had a stellar record, they base the premiums off of others who drive the same Make/Model. Apparently a lot of reckless drivers drive the same kind of car I do.

#295421 - 20/03/2007 22:43 Re: Car insurance prices... in New Jersey [Re: Tim]
rubennyc

Loc: New Jersey, USA
FWIW, I use AIG in New Jersey, but I also get a little discount for using them for my homeowners, too. We haven't had to use them for a claim, so I can't comment on that. Anyway, no serious problems so far.

#295422 - 21/03/2007 00:44 Re: Car insurance prices... in New Jersey [Re: Tim]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Quote:
base the premiums off of others who drive the same Make/Model

Of all the crazy insurance schemes, I'd never heard this one before. So all the value-conscious normal people who want a 90's Honda are getting punished because of the street racers who also own them? Maybe I should buy a 90's Mercury or Buick to match the over-cautious over-70 crowd.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Nothing like real-world recommendations. My company is currently "looking into" the years of overcharging, so I'm not sure the outcome. But, with your tips, I'll be ready to switch if things don't go as planned. Thanks again.

#295423 - 21/03/2007 01:19 Re: Car insurance prices... in New Jersey [Re: FireFox31]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
Wow. I would have thought most mustang drivers were a little undercautious. I always assumed it also had a bit to do with the value of the vehicle.

#295424 - 21/03/2007 13:23 Re: Car insurance prices... in New Jersey [Re: FireFox31]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Quote:
base the premiums off of others who drive the same Make/Model

Of all the crazy insurance schemes, I'd never heard this one before.

This has been the case for all insurance companies for as long as I can remember. I even remember our teacher telling us this in Driver's Ed when I was in high school. I remember it clearly, because when he told the class "if you want to drive a Trans-am or a Camaro, you're going to pay twice as much insurance as the next guy", and every jock in the class moaned and whined.

Quote:
So all the value-conscious normal people who want a 90's Honda are getting punished because of the street racers who also own them?

I don't think there's anything wrong with that pricing scheme. Keep in mind that the street racers are buying the 2-door models and the responsible adults are buying the 4-door models. I'll bet the premiums are different.

But more importantly, the car's make and model has a very high correlation with the amount the insurance company pays out in claims. Certain kinds of cars are safer than others in an accident, thus reducing the amount the company tends to pay out in injury claims. Certain cars are greater theft targets than others, thus increasing those kinds of claims. Certain cars have ABS brakes, again making them safer. Certain cars are very expensive to repair, making the claims more expensive, etc. And yes, certain cars tend to be purchased by people who tend to drive them unsafely.

An insurance company needs to balance its income in premiums with its outgo in claims. They do it by calculating lots of variables, and I think that's a valid variable to put in the equation.