Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#295873 - 24/03/2007 21:38 Removing sled pins
gopi
new poster

After a couple years of trouble-free operation, it looks like the improperly crimped docking sled pins have finally started to fail. Lots of static with the slightest bump.

I've started following the instructions for removing the pins, and have looked at the video. But, I'm having some problems. I've tried wires of various sizes, needles, nails, TO-220 IC pins, etc. etc. So far, I've only managed to get two pins out. Thin wires bend (even if I use a pair of pliers 1mm away from the connector and push), thick wires just don't unlatch the pins.

Does anybody have any advice? I'm really at a loss here about what to do, other than get a new connector from digikey and wire it up from scratch. I'm sure I could do that, but I would prefer not to.

Thanks,

gopi.

#295874 - 24/03/2007 22:13 Re: Removing sled pins [Re: gopi]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
I use a paperclip, or a lead from some kind of component (like a resisitor). Just seat the paperclip into the release hole, then push out the pin with another instrument.

#295875 - 24/03/2007 23:20 Re: Removing sled pins [Re: gopi]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Loc: Louisiana, USA
If you can't get them to release with wire leads, they make a release tool you can buy for about $10. You can also experiment with some steel wire. I use stainless steel wire about 1/16th of an inch to release the connectors in the Empeg half and the tool for the sled half.

Stu

#295876 - 25/03/2007 01:35 Re: Removing sled pins [Re: maczrool]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Weirdly enough, I did this today. It takes almost zero force, to don't try to force it. I used a large safety pin.

Watch the movie in this FAQ entry. A picture is worth a thousand words.

#295877 - 25/03/2007 05:05 Re: Removing sled pins [Re: JBjorgen]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
He did watch the movie, but it doesn't do you any good if your wire is too thick or too thin. The FAQ entry doesn't talk about the right tool size.

#295878 - 25/03/2007 11:30 Re: Removing sled pins [Re: tfabris]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Ah. In that case, a large safety pin and a small flathead screwdriver worked fantastic for me. I just put slight downward pressure on the safety pin to make sure it was pushing the tab up and then gave it a nudge with the screwdriver and it slid right out.

#295879 - 21/05/2007 21:25 Re: Removing sled pins [Re: JBjorgen]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
The thing that is not immediately obvious in the video: you have to push the connector IN to the housing from behind the connector to relieve the tension on the small latch that the pin has before you try to release the latch with a pin from the inside. "Too thick" or "too thin" does not apply here: pulling on the wire as you try to release it with a pin from the other side of the connector makes all the difference. I have successfully used a fine screwdriver, hatpin, copper wire, needle, etc. and been successful each time.

The key here is BE PATIENT and DON'T force it, or you will never get it out.
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015