Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#298325 - 11/05/2007 01:59 (solved) Need help choosing a live boot linux that can mount ntfs r/w
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
http://www.livecdlist.com/?pick=All&sort=Purpose&sm=0

This page has a lot of links to live boot iso's.

The first I tried wouldn't mount ntfs writable. I'm currently d/loading the knoppix iso. While that takes it's time, does any one have a sure fire choice of "live boot iso" for being able to mount an ntfs partition truly read/write?

EDIT:
dang! be sure to disable reload every when composing a post.

Anyway, the knoppix rescue live boot worked. It was even kind enough to suggest I run fixntfs when my attempt to mount the ntfs partition rw, failed for errors.

That plus this kb article got my lappy back on line. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/

Edited by gbeer (11/05/2007 03:21)

#298326 - 11/05/2007 09:37 Re: (solved) Need help choosing a live boot linux that can mount ntfs r/w [Re: gbeer]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Did the XP recovery console not work for you then?

Alternatively, there's always Windows PE (if you can get hold of it) or BartPE (if you can't).

My Vista laptop dual boots Vista and Windows PE (because I was doing some hacking with credential providers and needed a way to unbugger it if I couldn't log in).

#298327 - 11/05/2007 21:51 Re: (solved) Need help choosing a live boot linux that can mount ntfs [Re: Roger]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

The recovery console.

Yes and No. The first time in, I could get to the files and did not have to type an admin passwd. After the first reg file swap and reboot back into the recovery console, I found it necessary to key in the admin passwd. Needless to say none of the expected passwords would work, thus the need to abandon RC for the remainder.

After working through the whole exercise, I wonder why the KB article had me first reload the reg files from the cd then reboot and reload same from the restore point on the hard drive. Seems to me like it would have been easier to load them from the restore point in the first place.

edit
Quote:
Alternatively, there's always Windows PE (if you can get hold of it) or BartPE (if you can't).

I looked for BartPE, the page google found seemed to be a procedure that required a working system to build the needed boot cd. I also stumbled across the windowsPE home page but had to use google to find it. To be sure I find the Microsoft's web the be mostly impenetrable.

Edited by gbeer (11/05/2007 22:05)

#298328 - 11/05/2007 23:16 Re: (solved) Need help choosing a live boot linux that can mount ntfs [Re: gbeer]
AndrewT
old hand

Loc: Oxford, UK
Quote:
I looked for BartPE, the page google found seemed to be a procedure that required a working system to build the needed boot cd.

I think you found Bart PE Builder - the tools to create a bootable PE CD from your XP CD. A working Bart PE CD will include Microsoft non-redistributable files and as a result it's illegal to share it... not that that stops the Ultimate Boot CD eventually getting out there.

#298329 - 12/05/2007 01:16 Re:knoppix live [Re: AndrewT]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

I was surprised about one thing, that the cd actually worked, completely. All the devices worked drives, sound, wi-fi, battery meter... everything I noticed of thought to try. Given that the laptop is a Sony vgn-s150, it was unexpected.