Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#298959 - 04/06/2007 19:08 d-slr advice (novice)
lastdan
enthusiast

Loc: santa cruz,ca
I'm beginning to desire an entry level / used d-slr camera, and I hope someone can point me to a model to consider.
I'm a novice photographer, at best. no, I'm not even a novice photographer, I'm one of the people that they make point-and-shoot cameras for.
my budget is ~500 $us, so maybe I should just wait, but maybe not?
can anyone recommend a decent camera to cut my teeth on?
I'm guessing I'm better off with a used solid unit, rather than a new cheap one. but again, I really don't know all that much (read : nothing) about them.

I read an older post about a 30d deal, and all that I could gather is that there are people here that have a good deal of experience.

#298960 - 04/06/2007 19:50 Re: d-slr advice (novice) [Re: lastdan]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
I'm beginning to desire an entry level / used d-slr camera, and I hope someone can point me to a model to consider.

I highly recommend a Pentax camera, such as the K10D kit from B&H.

Or perhaps the Nikon D40 kit from B&H, which is more in your stated price range.

The Canon entry/mid level cameras are not as nice, except when it comes to very low-light conditions (eg. hockey arena).

Cheers

#298961 - 04/06/2007 21:25 Re: d-slr advice (novice) [Re: mlord]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

With any D-SLR, there's a modest concern of which system you're slowly but surely locking yourself into. If you buy Nikon or Canon, you've got an impressive after-market of used equipment. If you buy anything else, things get a little rougher.

That said, Nikon's bottom-of-the-line D40 cuts one very specifically important corner. All but the newest Nikon lenses expect the motor that drives the autofocus to be inside the camera. The latest Nikons have the motor in the lens, so the camera only needs to supply power. Part of how they cost-reduced the D40 was to remove the in-camera autofocus motor. This may not actually be all that big a deal, since you can learn your way around the D40 then upgrade later to a fancier body, should you be so inclined.

Alternately, you can consider the used market, where $500 should be enough to get a Nikon D50 or D70 plus a reasonable starter lens.

#298962 - 05/06/2007 03:33 Re: d-slr advice (novice) [Re: lastdan]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Quote:
I'm beginning to desire an entry level / used d-slr camera,

Is there a reason you specifically want an SLR camera?

Pros: Versatility. Interchangeable lenses. Better low light capability in extreme situations. Impresses other people when they see it.

Cons: Expensive. Interchangeable lenses (Very expensive.) You'll need a wheelbarrow to carry all the lenses you'd need to match the capability of a super-zoom camera. Did I mention expensive?

I have a new Panasonic DMC-FZ50, and the more I use it the more impressed I become. I can choose between 12x, 17x, 21x optical zoom (depending on how many megapixels I want to use), and then throw in 4x digital zoom on top of that, giving me the equivalent of lenses ranging from (35mm equivalent) 28mm to 750mm optically, or if I want to go completely bonkers, a 3000mm equivalent using digital zoom.

A good quality 750mm lens for a D-SLR could quite possibly cost more than I paid for my whole setup.

Can you get better image quality with an SLR? Undoubtedly. Will the improvement in quality be discernible on your computer screen, or in a 4x6 inch print? Unlikely.

Unless you are a professional photographer (been there, done that!), or a very serious amateur, you might want to consider alternatives to going the SLR route.

tanstaafl.

#298963 - 05/06/2007 05:34 Re: d-slr advice (novice) [Re: tanstaafl.]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
You forgot some of the other pros for the DSLRs.

Pros:

A real viewfinder, faster operation, faster response between pressing the shutter and taking the shot, typically longer battery life, holdable by people with big hands, thanks to low noise can take flash free shots when prosumers don't have a chance.

P.S. the DMC-FZ50 doesn't really have a 750mm 21x zoom, it pretends to have one by cropping the image to give the effect of zooming beyond the 420mm of the lens. You can get the same effect on any photo from any camera by just cropping it.

#298964 - 05/06/2007 12:01 Re: d-slr advice (novice) [Re: DWallach]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
If you buy Nikon or Canon, you've got an impressive after-market of used equipment.

Our local camera shops have a much MUCH wider selection of used Pentax lenses than any other brand. And Pentax lenses are quite well regarded in the biz -- certainly much better value for the cash than Nikon or Canon. They also have a lot more used Minolta lenses and flashes than Canon or Nikon, as well.

Cheers