Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#298982 - 06/06/2007 08:04 Palm TX or Nokia E60?
Schido
enthusiast

Loc: Probably lost somewhere in Wal...
My Tungsten E still works ok, but none of the new navigation programs run on it.
I have found that the 2006 maps from viamichelin do work with version 4.6 though, but it gets very slow.

Please help me make up my mind, what to buy to replace it. I allready found a place for the old one, my sister wanter to try it.
Maybe Sein can help a bit? I read you have a nokia now, you had a Treo before, right?

Palm TX:

Pros:
sd card memory (photo viewer)
Familiar to me (palm III->Vx->E)
bigger screen, 3.8" (nokia 2.1") but resolution not that different 320x480 vs 352x416
No need to buy a new brodit car holder.

Cons:
Tomtom 6 not officially supported and apparently does run but you need occasional resets. The only really up to date supported navigation option is viamichelin.
2 Years old and hasn't dropped much in price.

Nokia E60:

Pros:
Gsm and voip over wifi
Choice of navigation options: Tomtom, route66, Smartgo, Nav4all

Cons:
Only the nummeric keypad, how do you select an adress without a touchscreen?

Edited by Schido (06/06/2007 08:13)
Empeg Mk1 #00177, 2.00 final, hijack 4.76

#298983 - 06/06/2007 13:08 Re: Palm TX or Nokia E60? [Re: Schido]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
Quote:
Maybe Sein can help a bit? I read you have a nokia now, you had a Treo before, right?

Yup, I had 2 Treos and now a Nokia. Used them all quite a lot. Used Tomtom 5 and 6 on the Palm and Tomtom 6 on the Nokia.

I'll try and point out the differences from a Navigation point of view.
  • The extra screen size of the Palm is definitely useful in the car.
  • The Tomtom 6 display was a little smoother on my Treo 650 than on my Nokia. On a complex junction, the Nokia has a hard time refreshing the screen fast enough. The Palm was slightly better. Tomtom 5 on Palm was smooth as butter.
  • Absolutely the best thing about navigation on Nokia is the audio path will be sent through a Bluetooth audio device if you have one paired at the same time. This way I get navigation instructions coming through my car kit, and if I had a earpiece thing I would get it through there.
  • Because the Nokia has multi-tasking, I can take a call while navigating and the audio is mixed nicely, its pretty cool. The Treo would have real issues if someone called while I had the navigation running.
  • Can't really say for the E60, but my E61 has outstanding battery life. Used it on a 100 mile cycling challenge, and it took it in its stride with over 10 hours navigation use including breaks and driving to and from the start line. This is with the keylock on and the screen on standby with Tomtom in the background. That definitely would not have worked on the Palm.
  • I find it handy to have it on the phone rather than on a seperate device like a PDA. A friend can text me a new address, and I can find out how long it takes to get there in no time. Its good for planning, even without the GPS around. Also you can put peoples addresses in the phonebook and navigate to them without inputting it into Tomtom. This works great on Palm but is extremely slow on the Nokia.
Quote:
Cons:
Only the nummeric keypad, how do you select an adress without a touchscreen?

Aah, the surprising thing is that its actually just as fast as the touchscreen! As you can imagine you can use the direction pad to move around, but the best way is to tap the number that corresponds with the menu item. Each option has a key assigned to it that you can press directly. Its easy when you see it.

#298984 - 06/06/2007 15:37 Re: Palm TX or Nokia E60? [Re: sein]
Schido
enthusiast

Thanks for that Sein, I still can't make a choice though.

#298985 - 15/06/2007 13:16 Re: Palm TX or Nokia E60? [Re: Schido]
Schido
enthusiast

Ok, i made a choice. Just ordered the palm TX. It should arive tomorrow