Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#299697 - 26/06/2007 10:04 Unit will not power on after flashing :Mk.2 HDD Builder (upgrade file)
K-tracid
new poster

I have a 30gb Mk.2 unit which was working fine untill
I accidently flashed my drive with: Mk.2 Builder for initialising new hard drives (upgrade file) downloaded from http://www.empeg.com/support.html

Half way through the flash it failed and now the unit wont boot up....! It will however turn on with pulsing led, and wont let me connect it via serial,usb,ect...so i cant fix with new firmware
The screen doesnt work the buttons dont work but i'm sure the unit's not dead and can be fixed and music saved......!

Has anyone has a problem like this
or does any one know a fix this?
THANKS

#299698 - 26/06/2007 12:20 Re: Unit will not power on after flashing :Mk.2 HDD Builder (upgrade f [Re: K-tracid]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Did you follow the instructions for flashing new firmware properly? In particular, the part about it being unplugged and only plugging it in when the utility tells you?

#299699 - 27/06/2007 06:52 Re: Unit will not power on after flashing :Mk.2 HDD Builder (upgrade f [Re: wfaulk]
K-tracid
new poster

No I dont think so thats why things went wrong.
These are the steps I did.
connect the unit via serial connection.
opened: car2-builder with Rio Car upgrade program.
hit next......application run for about 3,4 minutes reboots empeg usual behavour.
Then an error stoped the application cant remember the specific error but it was similar error inside the application like when there is no empeg found.
after this the unit will not boot up
there is no screen function just pulsing led
no hdd sound like it's booting
buttons dont work and not conection possable to PC
i'm stuck with this now and need help!

any solutions anyone
THANKYOU

#299700 - 27/06/2007 08:58 Re: Unit will not power on after flashing :Mk.2 HDD Builder (upgrade f [Re: K-tracid]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
what happens when you retry the flashing process? ie reconnect the serial cable, start the upgrade, connect power?
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#299701 - 27/06/2007 09:26 Re: Unit will not power on after flashing :Mk.2 HDD Builder (upgrade f [Re: frog51]
K-tracid
new poster

ok
i have fixed this problem! (these are the steps to took)
connect the empeg to PC via serial cable NO POWER
run firmware upgrade file v3.00-alpha11
wait till application trys to apply power to empeg
then plug in power and then firmware should install (this is where the screen become active again whilest a reboot was performed by application. also HDD spolled up and also become active.
after this was compleated empeg operates as normal.
the above process was tried with the Mk.2 HDD Builder (upgrade file) which caused this problem but the result ended in same error which crashed the unit ("could'nt find pump" occured during stage 0x20)

i hope that others read this and can solve this problem if it happens to them.
also thanks to everyone for there support and response
( i should problery read instrustions before attempting things like this to my beloved unit, if there any instructions to be found?)

#299702 - 27/06/2007 10:20 Re: Unit will not power on after flashing :Mk.2 HDD Builder (upgrade f [Re: K-tracid]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
( i should problery read instrustions before attempting things like this to my beloved unit, if there any instructions to be found?)

Click on Empeg FAQ at the top of the page. If you're doing a disk upgrade, there's a guide for that, too.

#299703 - 27/06/2007 15:21 Re: Unit will not power on after flashing :Mk.2 HDD Builder (upgrade f [Re: K-tracid]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Mk.2 HDD Builder (upgrade file) which caused this problem but the result ended in same error which crashed the unit ("could'nt find pump" occured during stage 0x20)

I think that particular file was reported to be corrupt on the empeg.com main web site. Try using Mark's builder files for large hard disks instead. The ones linked from the disk upgrade guide.

#299704 - 27/06/2007 23:19 Re: Unit will not power on after flashing :Mk.2 HDD Builder (upgrade f [Re: tfabris]
mrfixit
enthusiast

Yep, Tony is right that is the same one I found not to work. I did attach the working one Here or you can just use Mark's builder as Tony said
mk2a 40gig blue no illumination....yet
hijacked

#299705 - 28/06/2007 00:08 Re: Unit will not power on after flashing :Mk.2 HDD Builder (upgrade f [Re: mrfixit]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Note that the "big disk builder" is not only for big disks, it works just fine on smaller ones, too!

Cheers