Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#30057 - 22/04/2001 08:26 Setting up GCC om empeg
ChrisTall
new poster

Loc: South Wales, UK
Can one of you Linux guru's please tell me how to set up GCC to run on my Empeg please. Specifically where to get the include files from and were to put them.

I have installed Franks debian environment, chrooted into it and installed GCC without too much trouble. It took a while to work out what CPP was and where to get it though. However when I try to compile a program, from the developers forum, it cannot find the required include files. I am thinking that they may be the ones included with the glibc source available from the Empeg site but I am not sure.

Also is there a "deltree" style deleting command available as I have untarred some stuff all over my Empeg drives that I want to get rid of quickly and easily without manually clearing each directory then deleting the directory.

Any help would be much appreciated.

ChrisTall
That really is my name!

#30058 - 22/04/2001 08:52 Re: Setting up GCC om empeg [Re: ChrisTall]
xavyer

In reply to:

Also is there a "deltree" style deleting command available as I have untarred some stuff all over my Empeg drives that I want to get rid of quickly and easily without manually clearing each directory then deleting the directory.

rm -r dirname

should do what you want.

#30059 - 22/04/2001 08:54 Re: Setting up GCC om empeg [Re: ChrisTall]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Also is there a "deltree" style deleting command available...

rm -rf [directory-tree-to-be-removed]
e.g.
rm -rf /usr/local/oops

Be careful! It asks nothing, and if you do it as root (superuser), and there are no other users on empeg, it will merrily delete everything it you tell it so.

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia
Q#5196, MkII#80000376, 18GB green
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#30060 - 22/04/2001 09:21 Re: Setting up GCC om empeg [Re: ChrisTall]
BillB

Loc: Orlando, FL USA
I'm not near my linux box or my empeg at the moment to verify this, but I believe you need the libc6 developers package. You can get the arm version here. Using dpkg to install it should put everything where it needs to be (which, IIRC, is /usr/include for the header files). I'm pretty sure this sounds right, but I won't know for sure till I get home.

Bill B.
Mk.2 SN 080000183 - 38 GB /
Green

#30061 - 25/04/2001 06:33 Re: Setting up GCC om empeg [Re: BillB]
ChrisTall
new poster

In reply to:

I'm not near my linux box or my empeg at the moment to verify this, but I believe you need the libc6 developers package. You can get the arm version here. Using dpkg to install it should put everything where it needs to be (which, IIRC, is /usr/include for the header files). I'm pretty sure this sounds right, but I won't know for sure till I get home.

Thanks Bill. I actually installed the ordinary libc6 as the developer version depended on it and it put all the required headers into the correct place. I then managed to compile and run the test program without any trouble.

One more question. I run GCC from the chroot environment but I have to exit that as it does not have a /dev/display device. Is it posibble to set it up to run GCC in the normal root environment or somehow make a /dev/display device for the chroot environment?

Thanks to those who replied with rm -rf for "deltree." This woked a treat. Thanks again Bill. This has now got me thinking of all the wonderful things I could program on it!! Or not

ChrisTall
That really is my name!

#30062 - 25/04/2001 14:02 Re: Setting up GCC om empeg [Re: ChrisTall]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
One more question. I run GCC from the chroot environment but I have to exit that as it does not have a /dev/display device. Is it posibble to set it up to run GCC in the normal root environment or somehow make a /dev/display device for the chroot environment?

I suppose you could set Debian up from the real root (i.e. it will probably not clash with anything already there). However, it will get overwritter each time you do an upgrade, and there might not be enough space in the root filesystem, so you would probably have to monkey around with relocating some branches elsewhere and symlinking them in place anyway.

As for /dev/display, this should work (from chroot environment):
cd /

mkdir dev
cd dev
mknod display c 244 0

You might need other devices, too.

Enjoy!

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia
Q#5196, MkII#80000376, 18GB green
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#30063 - 26/04/2001 05:19 Re: Setting up GCC om empeg [Re: bonzi]
ChrisTall
new poster

In reply to:

As for /dev/display, this should work (from chroot environment):

cd /
mkdir dev
cd dev
mknod display c 244 0

You might need other devices, too.

Enjoy!

I did this and it worked a treat. There already was a /dev/display but doing an ls -la did not show the 244 no for it. I deleted it and created a new one as you suggested and it worked fine.

Thanks a lot.

ChrisTall
That really is my name!