Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#300967 - 27/07/2007 19:41 Two news helicopters collided today
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
In downtown Phoenix AZ. They were, along with the other local channel news choppers, following a police chase.
Both pilots and both passengers died.

#300968 - 27/07/2007 20:22 Re: Two news helicopters collided today [Re: RobotCaleb]
LittleBlueThing
addict

Loc: Reading, UK
Hmm, I'm afraid my first response was a rather heartless "yeah, so? More entertainment."

I bet the other helicopters in the area hovered around the wreckage for ages?

There has been coverage of the Princess Diana death recently and glimpses of that make me think the work 'despicable' (dunno who that word describes - producers or consumers?)

I just have no respect for most of the modern 'news' media or those that watch it.

Then you look at the humans doing their job - hey, I'll bet the helicopter pilots *loved* chasing around the skies

#300969 - 27/07/2007 21:27 Re: Two news helicopters collided today [Re: LittleBlueThing]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Yeah, I don't ever watch either of the the channels that lost lives today, but I do feel bad for the loss of life.

And it is kind of a neat picture.

#300970 - 27/07/2007 21:50 Re: Two news helicopters collided today [Re: LittleBlueThing]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Quote:
Then you look at the humans doing their job - hey, I'll bet the helicopter pilots *loved* chasing around the skies

I'm sorry I don't have a clue what you're on about there.....

Just like any accident I think it's a sad loss of human life. Despite what you may think about the media (speaking as someone who works in that industry) those people will have had families, they didn't deserve that.

Lawyers and consultants however...... only kidding

Andy M

#300971 - 27/07/2007 22:01 Re: Two news helicopters collided today [Re: RobotCaleb]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
The police chief said the suspect will likely face criminal charges for the deaths in the helicopter crash.

"I think he will be held responsible for any of the deaths from this tragedy," Harris said.

I do hope the judge tosses this out. Bringing him up on charges for what he did is fine, and if he endangered lives of people on the ground or any police, then sure slap him for that too. But punishing him for being covered by the local news media and an accident occurring due to no fault of the suspects? Next thing you know he will be sued by people for being late to some appointment because he caused a traffic jam somewhere.

#300972 - 27/07/2007 22:11 Re: Two news helicopters collided today [Re: drakino]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

My fiancee was in that area shortly after it occurred. Traffic was horrible. I was talking to her on the phone and I mentioned that the dude would probably be charged for their deaths. She said "That's bullshit. That's not right."

#300973 - 27/07/2007 23:42 Re: Two news helicopters collided today [Re: drakino]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:
The police chief said the suspect will likely face criminal charges for the deaths in the helicopter crash.

"I think he will be held responsible for any of the deaths from this tragedy," Harris said.

I do hope the judge tosses this out. Bringing him up on charges for what he did is fine, and if he endangered lives of people on the ground or any police, then sure slap him for that too. But punishing him for being covered by the local news media and an accident occurring due to no fault of the suspects? Next thing you know he will be sued by people for being late to some appointment because he caused a traffic jam somewhere.

That makes no sense though. As you said, it is no fault of the suspect that the two helicopters crashed into each other. I could understand if the suspect had fired something at the helicopters but not otherwise. The suspect didn't even ask for the helicopters to be following him.

From the BBC article:
Quote:
n Los Angeles, a service exists whereby viewers, in return for a monthly subscription, are paged every time a pursuit is being shown.

Do people really find police chases that thrilling that they're willing to pay to make it into a form of entertainment?

#300974 - 28/07/2007 00:16 Re: Two news helicopters collided today [Re: tman]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
It's all in the pursuit of money, via television ratings.

Second thought: They became just the kind of NEWS they were hoping to catch on film. The very definition of irony.

Edited by gbeer (28/07/2007 00:22)

#300975 - 28/07/2007 06:28 Re: Two news helicopters collided today [Re: andym]
LittleBlueThing
addict

Loc: Reading, UK
Quote:
Quote:

I'm sorry I don't have a clue what you're on about there.....

I just meant that the pilots *probably* lived their lives doing what they loved. To me that's the point of living.

I'm not one to cry over death - it's somewhat inevitable and I prefer to look back on lives with a smile.

On a tangent...
My mother died last year and my wife's mother died earlier this year. Both dad's died ages ago and we seem to have a lot of recently dead relatives right now!! She gets upset when she thinks about her mum; I smile when I think about mine. We were talking about it last night. Anyhow the point is I said:

Quote:
"I smile when I think about my relatives; well, the dead ones at least."

You've not met my sister!

Suffice it to say we were in hysterics for a while

#300976 - 29/07/2007 03:39 Re: Two news helicopters collided today [Re: RobotCaleb]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
My fiancee was in that area shortly after it occurred.

Vixy's cousin witnessed the event, unfortunately. She's got several relatives in that area.

#300977 - 29/07/2007 11:25 Re: Two news helicopters collided today [Re: tman]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
Do people really find police chases that thrilling that they're willing to pay to make it into a form of entertainment?

It'd be an interesting study, though I don't know how you'd avoid people deceiving you (or themselves) as to their intentions, to look into exactly what outcome people are hoping for when they watch these things: spectacular wipeout and/or explosion; orderly arrest followed by jury conviction in open court under the rule of law; or clean getaway, possibly involving jumping the ol' creek while playing "Dixie" on your car's horn.

Peter

#300978 - 29/07/2007 15:20 Re: Two news helicopters collided today [Re: tman]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Quote:

There is a TV show called 'America's Most Exciting Car Chases' or whatever it is called. I want to say there is another one 'Deadliest Police Chases' or some crap.

Apparently, people love that stuff. Look at how many people watched the OJ 'chase'.

#300979 - 29/07/2007 16:30 Re: Two news helicopters collided today [Re: Tim]
tman
carpal tunnel