Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#301229 - 03/08/2007 14:34 Moddint tRio slim web interface?
plympton
new poster

Hey all,

I know JRec/tRio is pretty much dead as a do-do, but I was wondering if anyone knows where to start hacking on the HTML for the slim front-end? I'm picking up a Tungsten C tomorrow (another grand old tech :-)) that has a 320x320 screen, so it would be nice to be able to stretch out the UI a few more pixels than the 240x320 PocketPC screen it's probably coded for.

Anyway, thanks. I finally moved my receivers off of Linux where it was always teetering on the edge of not-working due to a system update or what-not (had to hold-back MySQL upgrade because of it). Now on Windows it's slow and ugly, but it's pretty stable, I think.

Anyway... is there ANYTHING out there that replaces these boxes yet??

-Dan

#301230 - 03/08/2007 15:24 Re: Moddint tRio slim web interface? [Re: plympton]
plympton
new poster

Found a lead here:

http://triot.sourceforge.net/tfe-content.htm#config

Paul thought ahead on a lot of his stuff...

-Dan

#301231 - 06/08/2007 09:42 Re: Moddint tRio slim web interface? [Re: plympton]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Quote:

Yes http://www.sonos.com/

Given that Hugo owns a Sonos setup it can't be bad. Not nearly as cheap a solution though.

I think I'll be switching to Sonos at some point.

#301232 - 06/08/2007 10:13 Re: Moddint tRio slim web interface? [Re: plympton]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:

http://utter.chaos.org.uk/~pdh/homilies/receivers/

The Sonos is good, but isn't quite the same idea as the Receiver -- the screen is on the remote-control, not the unit. The Squeezebox is IMO the best Receiver replacement out there, though it would be even better if it were UPnP and not its own proprietary protocol.

Peter

#301233 - 06/08/2007 10:43 Re: Moddint tRio slim web interface? [Re: peter]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Quote:

The Sonos is good, but isn't quite the same idea as the Receiver -- the screen is on the remote-control, not the unit.

I can only see that as an improvement. I could never read any of the screens on my Receivers from a couple of inches away, let alone on the other side of the room. Mind you I wouldn't be able to read a Squeezebox screen from the other side of the room without my glasses either.

#301234 - 08/08/2007 19:48 Re: Moddint tRio slim web interface? [Re: andy]
plympton
new poster

Quote:
Quote:

Yes http://www.sonos.com/

Given that Hugo owns a Sonos setup it can't be bad. Not nearly as cheap a solution though.

I think I'll be switching to Sonos at some point.

Yeah, the Sonos seem like the closest. I've checked out that Homolies page a few times - he's got most of the info out there condensed. The thing that there isn't a replacement for yet (that I've seen):

Rio has display & control on unit - very handy for WAF (wife acceptance factor) - no need to hunt for remote
Syncs between units
Has on-board Amplifier (that's actually pretty good)

Sonos has all that, but at what cost (yikes!). I think it would cost about $2000 to replicate what I have in 5 Rio's. <gulp>. Some day, when they're OOB and closing these things out, however... :-)

I just picked up a Tungsten C for $50 to use the Trio lite interface to control my Rio's. $50 kludge is better than $350 elegent at the moment... :-)

-Dan