Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#301235 - 03/08/2007 19:59 Another dumb question...
Ladmo
addict

Loc: Oklahoma
Another dumb quetion... I have an old Dell Digital Audio box and I finally got it to work when plugged directly into the computer acting as the server. Works. Now my question is, can I use it over the phone line in the house, even though I have DSL for my internet...??? Anyone know? I could not seem to find that info on the board or on the Dell site...
Any help would be appreciated...thanks

#301236 - 03/08/2007 20:13 Re: Another dumb question... [Re: Ladmo]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yes. I use one of my Dell DAR receivers over the phone lines in my house, even though I have DSL.

I don't recall, right at the moment, whether I have to plug them in behind the DSL line filters or in front of them.

Please note that in order for you to use a phone line to connect the receiver to the server, the server must have an interface for HPNA networking (a special kind of network interface that is different from an ethernet network interface).

If you don't have HPNA on the server side, then you have to run an ethernet connection (either wired or wireless).

#301237 - 04/08/2007 17:37 Re: Another dumb question... [Re: tfabris]
Ladmo
addict

Thanks for the info!!!

Now where can I find one of those HPNA cards fairly cheaply? (Remember that I am monotaraly challenged).
I did not see one listed on TigerDirect, but I'm just searching for HPNA ...
And I have to find out the hook up sequence for the dsl filters...

#301238 - 05/08/2007 17:34 Re: Another dumb question... [Re: Ladmo]
jhitesma
new poster

I've got two or three of the Rio HPNA cards just laying around. No clue if they're any good or not as I've never used them. I'd say $5 S&H plus whatever you want to offer for the card would probably cover it.

I found one of them...the others are probably stashed in a box with some old modems. Let me know if you're interested.

#301239 - 10/08/2007 13:39 Re: Another dumb question... [Re: jhitesma]
Ladmo
addict

Thanks for the offer, but as of right now, I am still struggling to keep the bills from getting too far behind, so let me know what you want for it, and I'll see if I can swing it somehow.
Thanks again!