Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#301307 - 05/08/2007 01:50 Mono playback in Windows Media Player
maczrool
pooh-bah

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Does anyone know a way to get Windows Media Player or even the whole Windows XP to play back in mono? Setting the speaker type in the audio properties control panel to mono seems not to make any difference. I'm testing a notebook speaker for a project and want both channels emerging from the L/R outputs to be identical.

Thanks,
Stu

#301308 - 05/08/2007 04:01 Re: Mono playback in Windows Media Player [Re: maczrool]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
This will do it in winamp. Can't seem to find one for Media player.

Edited by lectric (05/08/2007 04:08)

#301309 - 05/08/2007 14:34 Re: Mono playback in Windows Media Player [Re: maczrool]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Plug the speaker jack into the notebook not-quite-all-the-way?

I was recently working on some mixing and editing for the album I'm producing. I was using headphones. I was working on panning the overhead mics for the drum tracks left and right, and couldn't understand why they weren't moving in the stereo field, but rather just seemed to phase a bit funny. There are billion different ways to modify and route the audio within the software, and I'd just been doing a bunch of tweaking, and I was sure I'd made some kind of a mistake when moving the drums onto their own virtual bus. I spent quite a while trying to find my mistake, before discovering that the Radio Shack female-female jack that I was using to plug my headphones into the extension cord needed a bit of extra pressure to snick all the way into place.

#301310 - 05/08/2007 16:41 Re: Mono playback in Windows Media Player [Re: tfabris]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Thanks guys! I guess I could use Winamp and had thought about it, but I really loath the interface of it (loath Windows Media Interface too actually). I'm using a plugin for WMP that I paid for because it no longer works on iTunes (VolumeLogic to remove dynamic range). I've got the speaker playing through the left amp output from my Dell speakers, but I want to hear the stereo mixed down to mono on each channel. If I am listening to a stereo recording, I only hear the left side as it stands now because that is how it is wired. If the recording has some dramatic stereo effect such as a hard pan to the right, I hear almost nothing other than maybe some room ambiance put on the left channel. Since I would like to do my listening over this one speaker I have for about a week, I would like to not have such irritations if possible.

Maybe Winamp is the only answer?

Stu

#301311 - 05/08/2007 18:49 Re: Mono playback in Windows Media Player [Re: maczrool]
tman
carpal tunnel

Make a passive audio mixer with two resistors?

#301312 - 05/08/2007 22:14 Re: Mono playback in Windows Media Player [Re: tman]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Quote:
Make a passive audio mixer with two resistors?

Yes that could work. I guess I was looking for a simple switch somewhere I could throw in software, but I guess one doesn't exist. If I can find some suitable value resistors around here I'll give that a shot.

Stu

#301313 - 06/08/2007 00:44 Re: Mono playback in Windows Media Player [Re: maczrool]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
Hehe, you could get 2 adapters at Radio shack. a Stereo>Mono and a Mono>Stereo. That'd play a mono signal together on both channels.