Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#302622 - 28/09/2007 20:37 Is there a way to convert fid files back to MP3
Jodi
new poster

I've had a search through the archive for the answer to this question, but couldn't find it, so apologies if this question has been asked a lot before.

I have a Mk2 empeg, that I bought from a friend years ago (6 maybe) and since then have added a few songs, but not upgraded any drives in it. It did have 2 drives at one point, but I started to hear cracking and popping during playback in the car and in the end one of the drives failed. That was a long time ago. In the last couple of weeks I've heard the same sort of sounds again. I'm now concerned that the second drive is on the way out (or maybe whatever caused the first drive to die is about to kill the second). Either way I need to get the music backed up pronto, because I don't have the original mp3's (or indeed CD's) to most of the music. Having looked around on the board I have found the instructions on how to back up the data (using FTP software), but I notice that it will be .fid format not mp3. Is there anyway to convert the fid files to mp3 so that I can also drop them on my ipod?

Any help would be much appreciated.

#302623 - 28/09/2007 21:11 Re: Is there a way to convert fid files back to MP3 [Re: Jodi]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
The simplest way to back up music already on the player is to use JEmplode.

#302624 - 28/09/2007 21:24 Re: Is there a way to convert fid files back to MP3 [Re: Jodi]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
but I notice that it will be .fid format not mp3.

Some of the fid files are just renamed MP3 files. So if you want, you can just copy them and rename them. The trick is, how do you know what to rename them if their file names are all just a bunch of random hexadecimal numbers. (A complete description of exactly how fid files work is here.)

If you were VERY VERY SMART, and you tagged all the files correctly before sending them to the player in the first place, then after you FTP them back to your PC, you could simply use a tool that renames all the files based on what's in their tags, such as MP3 Tag Studio. (It would refuse to rename files that aren't MP3s, so if you combined this with Tag Studio's option to sort the files into folders, you would very quickly get all the true MP3 files organized and the non-MP3s would just remain untouched in their original folder). This would be the fastest way to rescue your MP3s.

If you didn't tag them correctly, then, as Canuck said, you could use Either Emplode or Jemplode to download the files off of the player. If you use Jemplode, you will get some nice options for retagging the files based on the empeg's database. This will be slower than using FTP, but should also work.

#302625 - 01/10/2007 19:31 Re: Is there a way to convert fid files back to MP3 [Re: tfabris]
Jodi
new poster

Thanks for the information guys. As i didn't upload a lot of the files to player I'm not sure if they will be tagged sensibly here's hoping.

If I get stuck I'll get back to you.

Thanks again.