Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#30316 - 30/04/2001 16:58 Install pics updated
crewe

Loc: London, UK
Hi guys, Wow, that last thread got a bit off the point! I've redesigned and updated my car install site at http://www.v8mgb.com if anyone's interested. Found a great sub solution (at last). Sally

#30317 - 30/04/2001 17:01 Re: Install pics updated [Re: crewe]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I'm having trouble seeing the pages about the sub? Are the pages "crash course in car audio" and "choosing the components" supposed to be blank, or is there a browser incompatibility problem?

#30318 - 30/04/2001 17:03 Re: Install pics updated [Re: tfabris]
crewe

It's under 'planning the install' - sorry about all the blank pages. I figure if I do it that way it's an insentive to get it finished ASAP!

#30319 - 30/04/2001 18:53 Re: Install pics updated [Re: crewe]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Hmmm... 5.25" and calling it a subwoofer.

Sally, what are some of the specs on those speakers? Particularly frequency response. Will they give you what you want in the 20-50Hz range?

On my new install, I went from a single 10" sub to a pair of 10" subs installed in a common enclosure, just so I could get my cone area up to around 160 square inches in order to drop my lowest attainable frequencies down to the 20-30 Hz range. It wasn't a matter of power, or volume, or punch or anything like that. It's just that, as a general rule, small cone area means loss of low frequency response. When that pipe organ in the Albinoni Adagio starts rumbling, you want speakers that can go almost subsonic. I would go with 10" subs in undersized boxes before I went so small as 5.25". But, I haven't seen nor heard your speakers, and it's quite possible they are working some technical magic I am unaware of. The only thing that counts is this: Are you happy with them?

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#30320 - 01/05/2001 02:54 Re: Install pics updated [Re: tanstaafl.]
crewe

I don't know what the specs are, but they sounded good to me so I'm willing to give them a try. Obviously, I haven't heard them in the car at speed with the roof down yet, and I might quite possibly find they don't cut it - if so, I'll try and find a place for my HEX 10". I'm not going to sell the HEX until the Focal's have passsed the V8 audition! I know what you're saying, but for the space and placement flexibility the Focal's offer I might be willing to lose a bit of low end. Anyway, I should know the answer in a few weeks! If these do the job, a whole legion of MGB owners now have NO exuse for crappy sound! :o)