Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#303808 - 03/11/2007 13:43 Subwoofer problems when changing Amps
BREmpeg
new poster

My old amp (4x1 channels) is dead now, so I order a new one. When I received the new one I noticed that it does not have a level control for the Subwoofer Output, like my older one had. The result is that my subwoofer is very loud. I would like to know if somebody can help me to lower the level that my amp sends to the subwoofer. It will be better if I can control it (like a potenciometer).

Thanks in advance

Ricardo

#303809 - 03/11/2007 18:55 Re: Subwoofer problems when changing Amps [Re: BREmpeg]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I have sucessfully wired a simple cheap stereo potentiometer, obtained from Radio Shack, to the line-level outputs of stereos before. It should be no problem, a very simple operation, once you know how to solder it.

I actually had to have some help on the empeg BBS regarding which wires get soldered to which pins, because I was confused about how that sort of thing worked. I'll see if I can dig up the thread.

If you don't feel like getting out the soldering gun, I'm sure someone sells that sort of thing as a pre-made box.

Remember it has to go on the line-level side of things, not the speaker-level wires.

#303810 - 03/11/2007 18:57 Re: Subwoofer problems when changing Amps [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

One thing I should mention is that if the amp is creating its own sub channel, in other words, if it has four input plugs instead of six, then what I said before does not apply. In that case, just twiddle the EQ is probably the best you can do.

#303811 - 03/11/2007 19:27 Re: Subwoofer problems when changing Amps [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I actually had to have some help on the empeg BBS regarding which wires get soldered to which pins, because I was confused about how that sort of thing worked. I'll see if I can dig up the thread.

Here is the thread:
http://empegbbs.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/286939/an//page/0/vc/1

Does anyone have links to someone selling a pre-made version of this?

#303812 - 03/11/2007 20:41 Re: Subwoofer problems when changing Amps [Re: tfabris]
BREmpeg
new poster

Thanks Tony,

but I think it will not be possible to do this, because my amp do the Subwoofer channel separation. It has four line inputs (Left Front, Right Front, Left Rear, Right Rear) and five speaker outputs (LF, RF, LR, RR and Subwoofer). So I will have to fins another way to control teh Sub Level. I tried the equalization but could not find a satisfatory solution.

Thanks again.

#303813 - 03/11/2007 23:53 Re: Subwoofer problems when changing Amps [Re: BREmpeg]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

That's odd. Perhaps the amp has an input plug for a remote subwoofer level control knob?

Anyway, twidding the EQ should take care of it for you. Just use the EQ's parametric features to adjust the lowest frequency's bandwith and frequency center to most closely match up with the subwoofer's output peak, and then attenuate that frequency until it sounds right to you.