Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#305279 - 19/12/2007 00:24 emplode: Sort by name, sort by position
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Using emplode 2.0, I'd like to sort some playlists by name and some by "position". I'm guessing "position" means the order they appear in emplode, which is not always alphabetical, intentionally.

Actually, I only want to sort my root playlist by position, all others by title. Is this possible, and how? Thanks!

#305294 - 19/12/2007 12:36 Re: emplode: Sort by name, sort by position [Re: FireFox31]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Sort everything by position and then modify the positions to match what you want.

#305295 - 19/12/2007 13:42 Re: emplode: Sort by name, sort by position [Re: wfaulk]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Except that you can't edit the positions of items in the root playlist...

#305296 - 19/12/2007 13:45 Re: emplode: Sort by name, sort by position [Re: Roger]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I have mine in a non-alphabetical order....

Though now that you say that, it does seem that there was some specific hack to make that happen. Not that I can remember now what it is.

#305297 - 19/12/2007 14:56 Re: emplode: Sort by name, sort by position [Re: Roger]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
 Originally Posted By: Roger
Except that you can't edit the positions of items in the root playlist...

Sure you can. I think dragging and dropping to re-order is specifically disabled in the root playlist, but you can use the little buttons to move items up and down in the root playlist.

There was some kind of bug with re-ordering in the root playlist, something that would cause emplode to crash, I don't remember what it was exactly, and so one of the ordering methods got disabled in the root playlist.

Did I make a FAQ on that? (goes to look...)

#305298 - 19/12/2007 15:01 Re: emplode: Sort by name, sort by position [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: wfaulk
I have mine in a non-alphabetical order....

Though now that you say that, it does seem that there was some specific hack to make that happen. Not that I can remember now what it is.

That's an option in the Configure Player screen in Emplode.

#305300 - 19/12/2007 15:17 Re: emplode: Sort by name, sort by position [Re: tfabris]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
 Originally Posted By: tfabris
There was some kind of bug with re-ordering in the root playlist, something that would cause emplode to crash, I don't remember what it was exactly, and so one of the ordering methods got disabled in the root playlist.

I wrote that code, so I figure I can be definitive here.

The problem is that the root playlist also has the "Unattached Items" playlist (FID 0x110) in it. It's always there; it's just that emplode hides it from view. I think we hid it around the time we were working on the Rio Central (because it has soup, and doesn't need everything to be attached).

Then, shortly before leaving for the pub one evening, someone discovered that reordering items by dragging them crashed, but only in the root playlist, and specifically because of the hidden entry. I was thirsty, so I simply disabled drag-and-drop reordering in the root playlist.

A proper fix actually turned out to be harder than you'd think, so we never got around to fixing/reenabling that feature.

#305424 - 25/12/2007 14:35 Re: emplode: Sort by name, sort by position [Re: Roger]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
 Quote:
I wrote that code, so I figure I can be definitive here.

That's what's so great about empeg. Where else can you get such definitive answers!

Quote:
you can use the little buttons to move items up and down in the root playlist.

I will look for this, even though Roger's information seems to invalidate it. Worth a shot. Worst case, I throw a dummy letter/number before the playlist name.

Thanks again!

#305437 - 25/12/2007 21:57 Re: emplode: Sort by name, sort by position [Re: FireFox31]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: FireFox31
I will look for this, even though Roger's information seems to invalidate it.

I don't think so. My recollection is that drag-and-drop reordering got disabled in the root playlist, but that hitting the little arrow buttons did not get disabled. So you should be good to go.