Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#30721 - 08/05/2001 00:13 Serial Port command(s) for next/previous playlist?
number6
old hand

Loc: In The Village or sometimes: A...
I was just playing with controlling my empeg [running 1.02 developer kernel] from the serial port and I notice that according to the list of commands I found that date back to the Mark I EMPEG that there appears to be no commands to switch to a different playlist from the current playlist.
There are commands to do just about everything else, but not that.
Am I missing something or is this genuinely missing from the serial interface command set?

- Greg

#30722 - 08/05/2001 08:43 Re: Serial Port command(s) for next/previous playlist? [Re: number6]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Once you're playing music, there is no next/previous playlist -- it's all been flattened down into the running order.

However, you can navigate the menu structure using the serial port, but you'll get no useful feedback from the serial connection.

Use 'm' to get into the menu, 'n' and 'p' to go right and left, and 'm' to go down a level. '*' goes back up a level. Press return to confirm the character, or sequence of characters.

Roger - not necessarily speaking for empeg

#30723 - 08/05/2001 08:45 Re: Serial Port command(s) for next/previous playlist? [Re: Roger]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Press return to confirm the character, or sequence of characters.

I never knew about the sequence of characters thing. I just tried it, pretty nifty!

#30724 - 08/05/2001 17:43 Re: Serial Port command(s) for next/previous playlist? [Re: Roger]
number6
old hand

Loc: In The Village or sometimes: A...
Does anyone have any idea how (or when) the serial port command characters can be delivered to the player via a different port than the serial port?
[say IOCTL, or similar low-level method] or are we stuck with having to send serial characters to the serial port to control the EMPEG remotely?

Greg

#30725 - 08/05/2001 19:36 Re: Serial Port command(s) for next/previous playlist? [Re: number6]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Frank's IRHack kernel already does this. It's how you can remotely control the Empeg with the Java applet in Displayserver. It's just a question of modifying the kernel to do your bidding.

#30726 - 09/05/2001 08:59 Re: Serial Port command(s) for next/previous playlist? [Re: number6]
fvgestel
old hand

Loc: Netherlands
I've got a small program which puts characters in the serial buffer, so it is possible to have a program running on the empeg issueing serial command sequences. I will look it up...

Frank van Gestel