Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#308909 - 07/04/2008 13:15 Is Sourceforge still the best Sourceforge?
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
I'm looking for hosting for an open-source project nearing its first release, and I don't want it on my personal pages in case it gets slashdotted. There seem to be a few free sites out there, but obviously Sourceforge is the 800lb gorilla. Should I just stick it on Sourceforge by default, or are there better options? All I'm looking for is file hosting, maybe a mailing list, and some web pages for Doxygen documentation. (Not shared SVN, for now; I'm going to start with the Linux-y "email me patches" version control and see how it goes from there.)

Licence will be GPL for the Qt GUI binaries, LGPL for the daemon binaries, public-domain for the source itself (so that bits of it can be taken by companies and re-used in proprietary products as long as its LGPL/GPL dependencies aren't also needed). This rules out Google Code (who don't deal with multi-licensed) and probably also Savannah (who'd also insist I re-spelled Linux with a "GNU/" everywhere).

Peter

#308910 - 07/04/2008 13:20 Re: Is Sourceforge still the best Sourceforge? [Re: peter]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Sourceforge has been completely hassle-free for my empeg-hijack and hdparm projects.

I was concerned for a while with empeg-hijack, since I basically just use Sourceforge as a web host and ignore all of their file management stuff for it, but so far, so good..

With hijack, I do use the file release management stuff, and end-users use the bug/patch reporting tools. And it's all just fine.

Cheers

#309580 - 28/04/2008 19:58 Re: Is Sourceforge still the best Sourceforge? [Re: mlord]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Originally Posted By: mlord
it's all just fine

Thanks Mark, that's a good-enough recommendation for me. I went with Sourceforge.

Peter

#309588 - 29/04/2008 00:46 Re: Is Sourceforge still the best Sourceforge? [Re: mlord]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: mlord
With hijack, I do use the file release management stuff, and end-users use the bug/patch reporting tools. And it's all just fine.

Duh.. just noticed my typo now weeks later -- that should have said:

With hdparm, I do use the file release management stuff ...

-ml