Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#309576 - 28/04/2008 16:51 IT Crowd
AndrewT
old hand

Loc: Oxford, UK
I often think of this sketch on The IT Crowd at times like these!

Edited by drakino (09/07/2008 16:57)

#309825 - 05/05/2008 00:23 Re: Windows Explorer crashes instantly if I try and open ANY graphic f [Re: AndrewT]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
Originally Posted By: AndrewT
I often think of this sketch on The IT Crowd at times like these!

That is funny stuff!

Pity me in the USA. frown

#309827 - 05/05/2008 03:22 Re: Windows Explorer crashes instantly if I try and open ANY graphic f [Re: Robotic]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Robotic

http://www.nbc.com/Fall_Preview/The_IT_Crowd/

#309831 - 05/05/2008 13:56 Re: Windows Explorer crashes instantly if I try and open ANY graphic f [Re: drakino]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Originally Posted By: drakino

Oh dear. At least Richard Ayoade is going to be in it and Jen is hotter. But no-one can replace Chris Morris.

Andy M

#309833 - 05/05/2008 15:14 Re: Windows Explorer crashes instantly if I try and open ANY graphic f [Re: andym]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Really? You think that generic blond girl is more attractive than Katherine Parkinson? You Brits really do have a prejudice against redheads, don't you?

Also, word is that the US version is not going to be developed after all. Too bad. Joel McHale is very funny. Maybe they got cold feet after "The Big Bang Theory", another geek-oriented show, got mediocre ratings. That probably has more to do with the fact that it's awful, though.

#309834 - 05/05/2008 15:56 Re: Windows Explorer crashes instantly if I try and open ANY graphic f [Re: wfaulk]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Originally Posted By: wfaulk
Really? You think that generic blond girl is more attractive than Katherine Parkinson? You Brits really do have a prejudice against redheads, don't you?

Not me. I think Katherine Parkinson's better-looking than the generic (I was going to say "generic American") blonde they've picked.

Mind you, I prefer brunettes...

#309836 - 05/05/2008 17:08 Re: Windows Explorer crashes instantly if I try and open ANY graphic f [Re: wfaulk]
andym
carpal tunnel

Yes, Katherine is very funny and plays the role very well. But generic wins out on the looks front, sorry. Call me shallow if you must, I'm unlikely to meet either of them so it's all academic anyway.

Andy M

#311899 - 09/07/2008 04:04 Re: Windows Explorer crashes instantly if I try and open ANY graphic f [Re: drakino]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Originally Posted By: drakino

Well- I'm glad the US version has been abandoned. Shame to say that it seems the UK version is also over. (Please correct me if I'm wrong!)

I'm glad I have all of the original episodes on hand. I've watched them in consecutive order at least a half dozen times over the last couple of months and they've always brought a laugh.

#311910 - 09/07/2008 12:54 Re: Windows Explorer crashes instantly if I try and open ANY graphic f [Re: Robotic]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I'm glad the US version has been abandoned.

Why? I've never understood why people are opposed to a new version of something. It doesn't diminish the original. And the new one might be good, too. It might not, and I have no problem with either comparing it with the original or calling the remake flat out bad, if that's the case. But, at least in US television these days, remaking a sitcom that was good elsewhere is probably a better idea than coming up with yet another reality show. (Not that those aren't being stolen from elsewhere as well.)

"They didn't destroy my books. They're right here on the shelf, and they're just fine." — Raymond Chandler, when asked about Hollywood adapting his stories

#311911 - 09/07/2008 13:20 Re: Windows Explorer crashes instantly if I try and open ANY graphic f [Re: wfaulk]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
I've never understood why people are opposed to a new version of something. It doesn't diminish the original.

That'd be fine if people got the chance to be exposed to the undiminished original. This doesn't always happen.

#311921 - 09/07/2008 14:42 Re: Windows Explorer crashes instantly if I try and open ANY graphic f [Re: wfaulk]
Robotic
pooh-bah

I'm glad the US version has been abandoned.

Why? I've never understood why people are opposed to a new version of something. It doesn't diminish the original. And the new one might be good, too. It might not, and I have no problem with either comparing it with the original or calling the remake flat out bad, if that's the case. But, at least in US television these days, remaking a sitcom that was good elsewhere is probably a better idea than coming up with yet another reality show. (Not that those aren't being stolen from elsewhere as well.)

"They didn't destroy my books. They're right here on the shelf, and they're just fine." — Raymond Chandler, when asked about Hollywood adapting his stories

Good sitcoms are very rare.
Good remakes also.

I'd just rather not see them fail. Call me a pessimist.

#311926 - 09/07/2008 15:09 Re: Windows Explorer crashes instantly if I try and open ANY graphic f [Re: Roger]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Roger
That'd be fine if people got the chance to be exposed to the undiminished original. This doesn't always happen.

But Americans aren't going to be exposed to the British The IT Crowd dependent on whether or not the US version is made. BBC America does show a number of British TV shows (not exclusively BBC, notably) that aren't shown elsewhere. They showed The Office before the US version was made, for example. Coupling, too. They have not shown The IT Crowd to my knowledge. If they haven't by now, it seems unlikely to me that they would in the future.

So the possibles states of US viewers seem to be "already aware of TITC"; "not aware of TITC and will remain unaware"; and "not aware of TITC but will become aware when the US version is shown". It seems to me that the only outcome that will increase the likelihood of people to be exposed to the original is by showing the US version.

#311927 - 09/07/2008 15:11 Re: Windows Explorer crashes instantly if I try and open ANY graphic f [Re: Robotic]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Good remakes also.

So your argument isn't that it shouldn't be made because the original shouldn't be touched, but that it's likely to be good and it would bum you out for it to be canceled, which (I'll admit) is highly likely.

That kinda-sorta makes sense.

#311956 - 09/07/2008 16:49 Re: Windows Explorer crashes instantly if I try and open ANY graphic f [Re: wfaulk]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Good remakes also.

So your argument isn't that it shouldn't be made because the original shouldn't be touched, but that it's likely to be good and it would bum you out for it to be canceled, which (I'll admit) is highly likely.

That kinda-sorta makes sense.

Actually, I was going on the premise that they'd fail to make it *any* good at all.
I agree that it's a poor argument, so think of it more as an opinion. That definition fits my world a little better! lol

If they made an American version, I'd watch it. Yes, I would. 'Bad' or not.

Perhaps a better show to argue over whether or not a remake should be done is The Prisoner.

Any remake brings the concepts in general to a wider audience... and some of that audience is likely to learn about the original.
So, in that sense I don't mind remakes.
I'm not against them, you see.

With The IT Crowd, I could easily imagine the US producers going for 'the nerd genre', which is specifically *not* what the UK production goes for (and the subtle reason for its success, IMO).
"US productions lack subtlety" is a generalization I'm game to make.

#311961 - 09/07/2008 17:13 Re: Windows Explorer crashes instantly if I try and open ANY graphic f [Re: Robotic]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I'd like to use the example of "Life on Mars." I have mixed feelings about the upcoming remake of this show.

The good:
- I'm sorry, but I was only able to understand half of the dialog of the British version. Of the stuff I couldn't understand, it was either because the accents were too think, they were using colloquialisms that meant nothing to me, or they were referencing 1970's England, which also meant nothing to me.
- ...That's about all

The BAD:
- The original, despite my troubles understanding it, is fantastic. So there's little room to improve with a remake.
- I worry that they'll try to make the American version too palatable for the US audience, and try to explain too much.
- It would be hard to top the music in the British version.
- Colm Meaney is the best replacement they could have found to play DCI Hunt, but I can't imagine anyone topping Philip Glenister's performance.
- I worry that they'll do the usual American thing and try to drag the show out as long as possible, and it'll get canceled before American audiences are given an explanation. US networks can't conceive of a primetime show that only lasts 20-24 episodes.

I'll probably watch the first couple episodes, but I'll be pretty biased, so it might not get through to me.

However, I did watch the first two episodes of The [British] Office, and just couldn't get into it. I think Ricky Gervais is brilliant, but I couldn't get into the show. Maybe it was the cultural differences again, but it just didn't work for me. The US version, however, I find hilarious.

#311962 - 09/07/2008 17:16 Re: Windows Explorer crashes instantly if I try and open ANY graphic f [Re: Dignan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
"US productions lack subtlety" is a generalization I'm game to make.

Ouch! I think that's a gross generalization. I think the networks here throw far too much at the wall, so there are certainly dozens (if not hundreds) of examples to support your statement, but there are, IMO, very many exceptions.

#311963 - 09/07/2008 17:26 Re: Windows Explorer crashes instantly if I try and open ANY graphic f [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

That's okay. They're reshooting the entire US LoM pilot with all new actors except the lead: Squarejaw McStoneface.

I'm inclined to say that the US LoM will suck because of what I've seen of the casting and other production issues. But that doesn't mean that they couldn't make one.

They should really make US scifi/fantasy shows as miniseries anyway. They invariably get canceled before they've gotten anywhere. The one exception being The X-Files which should have been canceled long before it ended.

#311965 - 09/07/2008 17:29 Re: Windows Explorer crashes instantly if I try and open ANY graphic f [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

The one exception being The X-Files which should have been canceled long before it ended.

Oh, God yes. That should have had a five season run. I have another enormous complaint about that show but I won't derail the thread any more smile

#311990 - 10/07/2008 04:24 Re: Windows Explorer crashes instantly if I try and open ANY graphic f [Re: Dignan]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
All you IT Crowd fans, have you seen the *amazing* l337 subtitles on the first season DVD, first episode? They are just so hilarious and worth buying the DVD for on their own.

#312189 - 14/07/2008 20:33 Re: Windows Explorer crashes instantly if I try and open ANY graphic f [Re: sein]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Does anyone have any opinion on League of Gentlemen (a UK sitcom)? I saw it briefly recommended in someone's forum post on IMDB's IT Crowd pages.

I'm going to give the UK IT Crowd a shot likely next week since there's not much of anything on TV right now. Except Weeds which I have to get online to watch (new season won't be on here for a few months).

#312191 - 14/07/2008 20:36 Re: Windows Explorer crashes instantly if I try and open ANY graphic f [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I watched it a few times. For about five minutes each time. I didn't like it. It feels to me like it's that extreme quirky British humor, except without the actual, you know, humor.

#312192 - 14/07/2008 20:42 Re: Windows Explorer crashes instantly if I try and open ANY graphic f [Re: hybrid8]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
I loved the LoG when it was a radio show. Didn't really get the TV version in the same way. It is yet another show that started on BBC Radio 4 and made its way onto BBC TV later.

#312193 - 14/07/2008 20:45 Re: Windows Explorer crashes instantly if I try and open ANY graphic f [Re: hybrid8]
andym
carpal tunnel

I seemed to remember asking this question quite a few years ago (when they were still popular) and getting a pretty uniform negative response. Some bits were funny, some weren't. Maybe you had to be british to 'get it'.

Andy M

#312196 - 14/07/2008 21:19 Re: Windows Explorer crashes instantly if I try and open ANY graphic f [Re: andym]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Any recommendations for other funny british comedies then? I used to love Red Dwarf, Allo Allo and Keeping Up Appearances (in moderation).

BTW, slightly off topic (what isn't?) but does anyone have any idea why a UK series (aka "season") is only 6 or so episodes long? I could understand if there were 3 or 4 series per year, but no one ever does that.

#312199 - 14/07/2008 21:40 Re: Windows Explorer crashes instantly if I try and open ANY graphic f [Re: hybrid8]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Originally Posted By: hybrid8
Any recommendations for other funny british comedies then? I used to love Red Dwarf, Allo Allo and Keeping Up Appearances (in moderation).

Spaced, The Peep Show, Father Ted.

BTW, slightly off topic (what isn't?) but does anyone have any idea why a UK series (aka "season") is only 6 or so episodes long? I could understand if there were 3 or 4 series per year, but no one ever does that.

I've always put it down to a number of things:

- more UK comedies have story elements that span episodes and such story arcs seem to naturally fit into half a dozen or so episodes
- there tends to be only one or two writers on UK shows, rather than a team. Churning out 13 or 26 episodes in one go for one or two people is a bit of a challenge
- budget. When you make a series for UK TV you maximum guaranteed target audience is a fifth of what it is in the US, so I think the budgets available to put together a series are less
- we tend to end a show's run when it is sensibly finished, as compared to US shows where new writers are rolled on season after season to drag it out for 10 seasons, I'm looking at you Friends !

I should also say that in the UK we also have plenty of series of shows that have a dozen episodes in them, but they tend to be reality shows and the like that you won't have seen in the US. There are also some shows that churn out two 12 episode series a year, much like the US ones. I tends to be comedies and dramas that only get 6/8 episodes, which are probably the ones that get exported to the rest of the world more.

Edited by andy (14/07/2008 21:46)

#312200 - 14/07/2008 21:45 Re: Windows Explorer crashes instantly if I try and open ANY graphic f [Re: hybrid8]
AndrewT
old hand

Loc: Oxford, UK

Coupling, which I think Bitt mentioned further up this discussion. Series 1 & 2 are my favourites.

The Worst Week Of My Life. It is one of those comedies where you can see what's (probably) going to happen next, but skillfully done in such a way that you cringe slightly as each episode's tale of woe unfolds. Sarah Alexander from Coupling is the leading actress.

Gavin and Stacey is highly acclaimed. I can envisage non-Brits missing some of the quick-fire remarks in this (as a Brit I often need a 10-second rewind on some stuff myself!).

#312201 - 14/07/2008 21:45 Re: Windows Explorer crashes instantly if I try and open ANY graphic f [Re: hybrid8]
andym
carpal tunnel

i don't know the proper reason, if any. It seems that's always been the case. Maybe that's the reason why uk shows rarely get cancelled mid-season. I heard interviews where writers have said they've simply said they'd managed to get the story across in 6 ep's.

Andy M

#312202 - 14/07/2008 21:49 Re: Windows Explorer crashes instantly if I try and open ANY graphic f [Re: andy]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

And, clearly, some of that has to do with a history of being more-or-less uninterested in ratings. Obviously the BBC has always wanted people to watch it so that it can keep its ... commission(?), but the desire to drag out a popular show to get every ounce of life out of it wasn't there.

Obviously there are ratings issues in the UK now, what with the commercial competition, but, still, that's how TV grew up in the UK.

Any actual Brits, please correct me if my viewpoint is invalid.

#312203 - 14/07/2008 21:49 Re: Windows Explorer crashes instantly if I try and open ANY graphic f [Re: andym]
andym
carpal tunnel

my two favorites are Peep Show and The Mighty Boosh. The latter being a tad Marmite (You either love it or hate it).

Andy M

#312204 - 14/07/2008 21:58 Re: Windows Explorer crashes instantly if I try and open ANY graphic f [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Of things not already mentioned that I've seen on BBC America, I enjoyed The Robinsons and Hardware reasonably well. Only a handful of episodes each, AFAIK, though. Not Going Out is bad. (I don't think that's a subjective opinion, honestly.) I didn't like Little Britain, either. Same as LoG. Oh, The Thick of It was awesome. I mostly liked Extras. That's all I can think of at the moment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >