Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#311652 - 29/06/2008 15:23 CD Storage sleeve (getting rid of jewel boxes)
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I know I've seen at least one person mention CD sleeves in the past, but I'll be damned if I can find the thread. I'm also looking for specific product recommendations and I'm not sure if a link or name was provided.

Since I play my music through my Squeezeboxes and empeg, everything lives ripped on hard drives for daily use. Since moving, I've decided not to dedicate the wall space to my CD cabinets and would also like to get rid of the jewel cases to save on storage space.

Ideally I will keep everything but the jewel cases and insert the lot (CD, Booklet and Tray Card) into some type of protective sleeve.

The two best I've been able to find so far are these:

20.5 cents each in qty 500 Univenture Viewpack XG Safety Sleeve - it holds 1 CD and two graphic inserts but I have yet to write to them to find out if the tray card can be one of those inserts (given it's larger than the booklets).

Next up is a solution I know will hold everything and seems to be a nice little package without any folding...

52 cents each in qty 500 DiscSox CD Pro Sleeve - each sleeve can hold two CDs in addition to the printed materials. Most would only be holding a single disc, but the option for 2 is good for those multi-sets.

If I could buy the DiscSox at the price of the Viewpack I'd be sold already. wink

Any other recommendations for storing all these bits at a more economical price?

#311656 - 29/06/2008 16:58 Re: CD Storage sleeve (getting rid of jewel boxes) [Re: hybrid8]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Stay away from any glossy clear vinyl, over time, it has a tendency to bond to any slick surface. It would likely lift the label off the cd.

My audio CD's are in CaseLogic ProSleeve's. They have been stored that way for several years now. They store 1 disk, 1 cover and the spine of the jewel case back label. Booklets, thin ones can be jammed in but it's not optimum.

I have a lot of software CD's stored in various album type cd cases. Some of those have had the printing adhere to the sleeve. Though I suspect it's due more to a lower quality printing done on that type of disk.

My most frequently used Software CD's are in a 1x2 album. I've found that the 2x2 (4 on each side of a page) albums are just too bulky to be useful. I also have a couple of bulk CD spindles that are truly useful for all those cd's that seem to accompany anything with a usb attachment.

#311659 - 29/06/2008 17:19 Re: CD Storage sleeve (getting rid of jewel boxes) [Re: gbeer]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Both the products I linked above allow the CD to stay in contact with a fabric layer. Which I should have also mentioned as a pre-requisite - no poly surface should touch the printed side of the CD or either side if possible.

#311662 - 29/06/2008 17:48 Re: CD Storage sleeve (getting rid of jewel boxes) [Re: hybrid8]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

I looked at both websites, they appear to be as every other sleeve product I've ever seen. Where the fabric protection is only supplied to one side of the disk.

Edit: Looked again the http://www.mmdesign.com/products/cd-pro-sleeve-tab.htm That one clearly reads as having fabric protection for both sides of one cd. And full storage of all the jewel case papers. Looks good!

Edited by gbeer (29/06/2008 17:57)

#311664 - 29/06/2008 17:56 Re: CD Storage sleeve (getting rid of jewel boxes) [Re: gbeer]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

The second sleeves I mentioned have two layers of fabric, so you can slip the first CD so it is protected by fabric on both sides. The second CD, if you put one in, will have fabric on one side and I believe the paper tray card on the other.

But I can't justify paying 52 cents per sleeve. wink Plus the price of a box to put the sleeves into.

#311665 - 29/06/2008 18:04 Re: CD Storage sleeve (getting rid of jewel boxes) [Re: hybrid8]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

The sleeves are the important part. An old shoe box would be fine.

#311666 - 29/06/2008 18:12 Re: CD Storage sleeve (getting rid of jewel boxes) [Re: hybrid8]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Another one: 46 cents each in qty 500 JewlTray
Fits only a single disc, but it's protected by fabric on both sides and also fits the cover/booklet and tray card. Also has, like the Sox product, a section for a notes card along the top.