Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#31187 - 15/05/2001 20:33 jemplode
xlR
new poster

Loc: Southern California, USA
so i was wondering. How do mp3s get stored on the hard drive in empeg? Are they on a fat partition? If so, my phatbox hard drive also stores its mp3s on a fat partition. And phatnoise doesn't make a linux program to transfer mp3s via usb to the hdd(even though the player runs linux!!!!) So i'm thinking, maybe jemplode could perform this on my redhat box? I dunno its just a thought. If not im gonna need to write a java app to do it for me with my 1 semester knowledge of java.

____ _ ____ _
xlR

#31188 - 16/05/2001 04:45 Re: jemplode [Re: xlR]
jstrain
enthusiast

Loc: philadelphia pa
i know it is not a fat partition. i'm pretty sure it is a linux ext2 partition.

12 gig, green...

#31189 - 19/05/2001 23:35 Re: jemplode [Re: xlR]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
you might get a better response from the technical section

Murray 06000047
I don't think, therefore I am not.

#31190 - 20/05/2001 01:35 Re: jemplode [Re: xlR]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Transfers between empeg and whatever else are done by (semi)documented protocol over RS232, USB or Ethernet. 'Host' computer does not see empeg as a disk, but as another computer (which it is). Therefore, jemplode or any other similar empeg util will be of little use to you.

IIUC, Phat 'docking station' simply connects the 'Digital Media Storage' unit to the 'host' via USB. I gather that the station is not another computer, so the unit is connected as USB disk. If so, then in order to write your own 'phatman' you will first of all have to know how the things are stored on DMS (tune files naming, where metadata - tags - are stored, format of playlists etc). Next, you will either have to find USB disk driver for your Linux box (I don't know whether it is available or included in the distro), or figure out the low-level protocol USB disk drives use and write either driver or user-level transfer program yourself. Finally, everything should be dressed up in a usable user interface.

Depending on how much documentation is available to you (and your experience, obviously), this could range from interesting to very challenging. Good luck and keep us posted!

Cheers!

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia
Q#5196, MkII#80000376, 18GB green
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue