Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#312930 - 12/08/2008 18:39 Emptool compile problem openSuse
Zeb
new poster

Hi guys,

I regret posting but I've searched all across this site looking for tips on compiling Emptool. Alas, no luck...

Log story short, I'm using OpenSUSE 11 and can't get Emptool to compile. I'm admittedly no Linux compile guru, and therefore can't make sense of the spew of text that comes through upon the failed make. But I'm just folowing the included readme instructions. My SUSE has GCC GNU C compiler 4.3-39.1 installed "out of the box" but I've added "compat" which adds extra compatibility layers and a few other compiler packages in the hopes of fulfilling missing requirements (or the like) with no luck. I've tried compiling MANY times - have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Before I paste the failed compile messages perhaps someone can educate me as to what my mistake is just on this info?

Background: I've been using my empeg mk2 rio-car since 2000 when it was new out of the box - I put 30 gb of tunes into it back in the day and never needed more since. So it's been litterally 8 years since I've tried to make a computer talk to my Empeg. I had sent it in for the button light kit to be installed and the HD's died in transit (they were flaking out anyway) and thanks to Eutronix's superb skills - I now have pretty lights and 2 new drives with more than double original 60gb capacity - nicely formatted and installed. But they have no tunes! Empty of course. They updated the firmware for me along the way to latest final of course.

PC OS: I've been off Micro$oft for almost a year now - currently enjoying the new Suse 11 under Gnome (but KDE is also installed I just don't like it much). Can't get emptool to compile. I use Virtualbox a LOT for business and pleasure and can run Emplode successfully in it and can communicate to the Empeg via direct IP#, however due to a documented NAT problem with VirtualBox, direct data uploads are EXTREMELY slow unless HTTP based. As in 20kB/s - over an hour per album. Not good when I now have over 60 gb of CD's ripped.

There is no known fix for this VirtualBox problem - it seriously sucks as it affects my total commander FTP, SFTP and almost any outbound XP application traffic that remotely resembles FTP!! Bugs are registered at VirtualBox, but I'm not holding my breath.

Rio Empeg: The Empeg player seems healthy - I let an album process for an hour (in Emplode under the XP VirtualBox) and the songs were there in the end. Using the download feature, I tested that I could get the songs back out, and of course a whole song downloads in about 7 seconds - normal and to be expected with 10baseT. So again, happy player. VirtualBox is just screwing me just like with all my other FTP style applications for which I'm forced to use the Linux host if I ever want to upload files.

USB: I've also exhausted my USB options: In the VirtualBox I have successfully passed through my USB devices and installed the XP drivers and can see the Rio player in the device manager with the correct drive, but the Emplode software refuses to see it. Only direct IP makes a connection. I've tested my USB setup with a USB stick drive, and can successfully pass it through to XP and read/write files. So USB seems to work - just not good enough for Emplode.

Java jEmplode: I've also tried jEmplode both in Suse and in my VirtualBox XP - with the jEmplode.dll USB wrapper from the site in XP. No matter where the java tool is run, it can't find my player via any communication method.

So.... Because the XP virtual box DOES work albeit nauseatingly slow - I'm 99.9% sure a native XP computer without the silly virtual machine NAT bug would get me the speed I need to spend a weekend uploading songs. Using the defective slow NAT upload in Virtual box would (if my calculator pecking is to be believed) take 103 years!! I probably missed a decimal point, but you get the point - 20kB/s is no way to transfer music in this lifetime.

So, before I go buy a windows computer JUST to upload songs into my Empeg, I thought I'd give you super clever guys a shot at my problem? smile Any tips or help would be MUCH appreciated!!!!

All the best,
Zeb

#312931 - 12/08/2008 19:38 Re: Emptool compile problem openSuse [Re: Zeb]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Originally Posted By: Zeb
My SUSE has GCC GNU C compiler 4.3-39.1 installed "out of the box" [...] Before I paste the failed compile messages perhaps someone can educate me as to what my mistake is just on this info?

Emptool, particularly v2, is very old code and won't compile as-is on systems with modern GCC, modern glibc, or modern Python. These issues could probably be fixed, but the reason they haven't been is that everyone uses Jemplode (or complete alternatives such as mp3tofid)... your best bet is probably troubleshooting your Jemplode problems. Can you use something like Wireshark or Ethereal to capture the network traffic as it looks for the player?

Peter

#312934 - 12/08/2008 21:03 Re: Emptool compile problem openSuse [Re: Zeb]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yeah, I agree, I think using Jemplode, in Suse, via Ethernet, is your long-term answer, we just need to find out why Jemplode can't see the player.

Netmask on your LAN is 255.255.255.0? You've tried setting a fixed IP on the player and pointing Jemplode at it? More troubleshooting here.

#312938 - 13/08/2008 00:06 Re: Emptool compile problem openSuse [Re: peter]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
It has been a *very* long while since I last compiled emptool, but I do still have the binaries.

If they're of any use to you, then see the attachments.

Cheers

Attachments
emptool-v2final (267 downloads)
Description: emptool-v2final

emptool-v3a1.static (250 downloads)
Description: emptool-v3a1.static