Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#315485 - 23/10/2008 13:29 Re: New Macbook Pro [Re: matthew_k]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Ok, I'm officially opposed to the glossy screen. See the attached self portait taken on the train. It also is evidence of having to use Windows to get decent tethered internet when I forget my bluetooth dongle.

The apple store experience was fine. They did "try and fix it in the back" which I suspect meant they pushed pretty hard while I couldn't watch, then came out and told me they'd swap it out. That fixed the problem with the plastics, but the new one also the problem with the same screw simply not being screwed in all the way. The genius told me it was probably just a problem with the design, which I found amazing. A few seconds work with the screwdriver when I got home got it fixed up.

Anyways. I'd been considering buying Apple stock at its recently depressed price, but with the lack of attention to detail on this one I'm leaning against it. My powerbook just worked for three and a half years, the macbook pro, not so much.

Attachments
IMAG0030.jpg

Edited by matthew_k (23/10/2008 13:31)

#315486 - 23/10/2008 13:58 Re: New Macbook Pro [Re: matthew_k]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Has there been any word/rumors of a glare filter made for the new MBP models? Does it look like there's room for one that fits over the glossy screen and doesn't interfere with the lid closing?

#315492 - 23/10/2008 15:19 Re: New Macbook Pro [Re: tonyc]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Seems like someone could make some sticky film à la the protective films for PDA screens.

Edit: Yup.

Edit edit: Even better. (Their films get excellent reviews.) Not one available specifically for the MacBook Pro yet, though.

Edited by wfaulk (23/10/2008 15:33)

#315493 - 23/10/2008 15:48 Re: New Macbook Pro [Re: tonyc]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
I don't think there's anything out there yet. The problem is that there's no traditional bezel to hold the filter on the LCD. It could be permamently installed with something sticky, or some sort of picture corners style solution which might not be too bad.

#320020 - 04/03/2009 20:25 Re: New Macbook Pro [Re: matthew_k]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Note: This is an older thread. But better than killing/hijacking Rob's RAID thread.

Just a FYI. BluRay will be (should be) in Apple machines this year. It's being worked on now.

The concerns I expressed in this thread about the large trackpad seem not to be a problem. Testing at the Apple Store was OK with leaving a resting thumb at the bottom. At least in a standing position at a counter. wink

From looking and handling I would never guess the trackpad has any glass in it whatsoever. At least not with a 15 minute perusal. The glossy screen looked OK in the Apple Store (it's all I saw on display) but I went for the matte option anyway since it's what I'm accustomed to with my PowerBook (and because I don't want glare obviously).

NVIDIA seems to have a clean sweep of every standard Mac configuration. I can't even remember the last time that's ever happened with any vendor, if it's ever happened at all. I'm pretty sure that even in ATI's Mac heyday there were always at least a couple of SKUs with NVIDIA or another vendor (before NV hit the scene).

It doesn't look like NV will hold this sweep through the rest of 2009 though. Expect some changes in the summer.

#320026 - 04/03/2009 22:31 Re: New Macbook Pro [Re: hybrid8]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Originally Posted By: hybrid8
Just a FYI. BluRay will be (should be) in Apple machines this year. It's being worked on now.

How certain of this are you? Jobs is pretty famous now for describing BluRay as "a big bag of hurt." And I believe that was pretty recent.

#320027 - 04/03/2009 22:46 Re: New Macbook Pro [Re: Dignan]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Dignan
How certain of this are you? Jobs is pretty famous now for describing BluRay as "a big bag of hurt." And I believe that was pretty recent.

True he said that, but with some context, the comment was another way of saying "No, we have nothing to talk about regarding BluRay here at this event where we are launching new notebooks". Apple completely ignoring BluRay is just not an option if they want to keep their footing in the movie production business. They at a minimum need to get their pipeline working on disc mastering. This also means BluRay burners as an option in their products and so on.

Though OS X does support burning BluRay data disks already. I have an external burner here at work for some things, and didn't have any problems using Disk Utility, or the third party Burn program.

#320029 - 05/03/2009 00:17 Re: New Macbook Pro [Re: Dignan]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Dignan
How certain of this are you?

100% - I just don't know what the roll-out schedule is. Might be for Snowleopard, but might not be. I can probably find out what the working schedule is right now though. I'll update this bit later when I've had the chance to get some more info. Steve and I are having dinner next Thursday. wink

#320030 - 05/03/2009 01:44 Re: New Macbook Pro [Re: hybrid8]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

I just found out (by reading that Engadget MBP 17" review) that the anti-glare screen doesn't have a black bezel frown Too bad, I was looking forward to the black bezel to give the screen more "pop."

As an aside, if anyone is rocking the new Safari 4 beta (or any version really), one of the better plugins is (now) definitely Glims

It's totally replaced Stand for me to enable things like type-ahead page searching and search shortcuts. It also adds some nice features to the search box without removing the search history display.

#320036 - 05/03/2009 03:00 Re: New Macbook Pro [Re: hybrid8]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Originally Posted By: hybrid8
I just found out (by reading that Engadget MBP 17" review) that the anti-glare screen doesn't have a black bezel frown Too bad, I was looking forward to the black bezel to give the screen more "pop."

Easily fixed.

smile

tanstaafl.

#320037 - 05/03/2009 03:02 Re: New Macbook Pro [Re: tanstaafl.]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

How did I know (even before hovering over the link) that you were going to send me to Krylon? ESP man, ESP.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3