Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#323677 - 24/06/2009 18:51 Re: Super fast question: External hard drives on new HD Tivos [Re: TigerJimmy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: TigerJimmy
There's not an easy way, but you *can* do it. You change the setting on your online account to enable sharing between Tivos, then put both on a network. You can then browse the old unit from the UI on the new unit and transfer the recordings over. You can queue them up, but you've got to mark them for transfer individually. There are other ways to do it, but none of them are worth the hassle, IMHO.

Can I do that with an old DirecTivo? That would be awesome. What about the DirecTV box that isn't a Tivo?

#323678 - 24/06/2009 18:52 Re: Super fast question: External hard drives on new HD Tivos [Re: wfaulk]
tman
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: wfaulk
It's super easy to change the disk

Assuming you think it's "super easy" to open your desktop computer, attach the new hard drive and the old hard drive, boot up off of a CDROM you burned using an image you downloaded from somewhere, and run the requisite programs that have apparently been documented by a 12-year-old Yanomami boy with ADHD.

You had documentation? o.O

#323681 - 24/06/2009 20:06 Re: Super fast question: External hard drives on new HD Tivos [Re: Waterman981]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Originally Posted By: Waterman981
As you're doing a quick drive swap remember to write down all your season passes! Nothing worse than having to swap drives again to get them all. wink

Not to worry! I have given a lot of consideration to that. I don't have a lot of wish lists, but the ones I have are highly customized, some of them with as many as a dozen title or keyword restrictions to keep from recording stuff I don't want. Additionally, I will have to write down all the channels I receive that I want TiVo to ignore, and take a few notes about what channels I do receive so that I can be sure to tell TiVo the correct cable lineup during setup. I'm not concerned about saving anything already recorded. With only 30 hours of recording time available, I don't hang onto a lot of programs!

tanstaafl.

#323682 - 24/06/2009 20:22 Re: Super fast question: External hard drives on new HD Tivos [Re: tman]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
I used Instantcake to upgrade my tivo. It was EXCELLENT. The time it saved me was well worth the extra $20 versus a free DIY. PLUS you don't need a valid image to begin with. I used this after my HDD just gave up, leaving me with no upgrade path.

#323683 - 24/06/2009 20:31 Re: Super fast question: External hard drives on new HD Tivos [Re: lectric]
tman
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: lectric
I used Instantcake to upgrade my tivo. It was EXCELLENT. The time it saved me was well worth the extra $20 versus a free DIY. PLUS you don't need a valid image to begin with. I used this after my HDD just gave up, leaving me with no upgrade path.

Bit dubious that it doesn't require the original TiVo drive. They must be distributing the TiVo image which contains copyrighted TiVo stuff...

#323684 - 24/06/2009 20:41 Re: Super fast question: External hard drives on new HD Tivos [Re: tanstaafl.]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Originally Posted By: wfaulk
I find that the lighted buttons wear out the batteries too fast...

I really meant to mention that in my post. That is the only negative to the "glow" remote. I find I have to replace the AAA's about every few months, which is a lot for a remote.

Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
Originally Posted By: Dignan
Were you getting incomplete and/or garbled recordings?

Yes... and no. The big problem is random reboots in the middle of recording or playback, most frequently when watching a previously recorded program at the same time as recording another. Sometimes it will reboot while recording when I am not otherwise using it, this shows up as a single program split into two sessions with eight minutes of programming missing at the time of the split. Other times (less frequently) the picture will just freeze, all controls unresponsive, and my only choice is to pull the power and force a reboot. Still other times (even less frequently) the entire TV screen turns into a garbled green pattern of tight zig-zags and then freezes, again forcing a power-off reboot.

I am almost positive that it's a bad hard disk. Those last two symptoms I am very familiar with smile

#323693 - 24/06/2009 23:12 Re: Super fast question: External hard drives on new HD Tivos [Re: tman]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Originally Posted By: tman

Bit dubious that it doesn't require the original TiVo drive. They must be distributing the TiVo image which contains copyrighted TiVo stuff...

The critical items of activation, account numbers, and lifetime service, are stored in a chip on the motherboard. As long as you install an image meant for that specific unit, there is no problem.

But tivos have rigid drive mounting, and the drives are read/writing constantly. You do not never want to move a tivo when it's operating.

#323694 - 24/06/2009 23:42 Re: Super fast question: External hard drives on new HD Tivos [Re: gbeer]
tman
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: gbeer
The critical items of activation, account numbers, and lifetime service, are stored in a chip on the motherboard. As long as you install an image meant for that specific unit, there is no problem.

The S1 TiVos just had the machine ID in the EEPROM. Everything else was kept on the server side. No clue what they do in S2 and S3 TiVos.

Dubious as in distributing copyrighted software not as in risk of losing your sub. Unlikely that TiVo will do that much about it considering the image is pretty useless if you don't have the TiVo hardware. The main things that do annoy them is switching software images between different types of unit and stealing service.

#323704 - 25/06/2009 01:21 Re: Super fast question: External hard drives on new HD Tivos [Re: tman]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
Oh, totally agreed. But I don't have a problem imaging another drive if mine is toast. I even told tivo support on the phone that I had done this when I reactivated it and they didn't bat an eye. The tech just commented on how nice it must be to have that much space. -=shrug=-

#323706 - 25/06/2009 02:38 Re: Super fast question: External hard drives on new HD Tivos [Re: tfabris]
TigerJimmy
old hand

Originally Posted By: tfabris
There's not an easy way, but you *can* do it. You change the setting on your online account to enable sharing between Tivos, then put both on a network. You can then browse the old unit from the UI on the new unit and transfer the recordings over. You can queue them up, but you've got to mark them for transfer individually. There are other ways to do it, but none of them are worth the hassle, IMHO.

Can I do that with an old DirecTivo? That would be awesome. What about the DirecTV box that isn't a Tivo?

Not sure, but if it runs Tivo software I'd be really surprised if it didn't work...

#323707 - 25/06/2009 02:43 Re: Super fast question: External hard drives on new HD Tivos [Re: TigerJimmy]
tman
carpal tunnel

Not sure, but if it runs Tivo software I'd be really surprised if it didn't work...

Apparently DirecTV have disabled networking. You can enable it if you hack it tho...

#323725 - 25/06/2009 13:22 Re: Super fast question: External hard drives on new HD Tivos [Re: tman]
Waterman981
old hand

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
It does depend on which version of a TiVo you have. I know my buddy hacked his old DirecTiVo's to do show sharing, but it definitely isn't there by default. It's also not available on series 1 TiVo's.

#040103696 on a shelf
Mk2a - 90 GB - Red - Illuminated buttons

#323819 - 27/06/2009 05:11 Re: Super fast question: External hard drives on new HD Tivos [Re: tanstaafl.]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Products ordered:
SKU: rs300pio8
Product: Pioneer 810H TiVo Upgrade Kit: Replace with one 320gb hard drive
Quantity: 1
Item price: $ 139.00

Well, TiVo lives with the new hard drive. Installation was amazingly simple, well worth the premium over just buying a new hard drive, installing the software, etc. TiVo says that the new drive has a maximum recording time of "variable up to 422 hours". At highest quality (it's not HD) I'm guessing it will be about 120 hours.

We'll see if this fixes the problem.

tanstaafl.

#323822 - 27/06/2009 13:24 Re: Super fast question: External hard drives on new HD Tivos [Re: tanstaafl.]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I'm glad to hear it was so easy! That's what I've heard from others who have ordered from them. I really like that they give you everything you need to do the job.

My fingers will be crossed for you smile

#323825 - 28/06/2009 05:07 Re: Super fast question: External hard drives on new HD Tivos [Re: tanstaafl.]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

We'll see if this fixes the problem.

No joy.

Three reboots and one lockup (that I can document, there may have been others that occurred when the TiVo wasn't recording) in the first 24 hours.

frown

tanstaafl.

#323829 - 29/06/2009 03:55 Re: Super fast question: External hard drives on new HD Tivos [Re: tanstaafl.]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Damn! I'm so sorry to hear that. My apologies for leading you down the wrong path.

It just sounded like exactly what I was seeing...

#323830 - 29/06/2009 04:26 Re: Super fast question: External hard drives on new HD Tivos [Re: Dignan]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Dignan
Damn! I'm so sorry to hear that. My apologies for leading you down the wrong path.

It just sounded like exactly what I was seeing...

Not your fault. I knew going in that it was about 80% likelihood to fix the problem (based on posts in various TiVo forums) and it looks like I lucked out and got the other 20%.

Weaknees wrote back to me and suggested that I disconnect the IDE cable to the DVD burner and see if that helps; and if not, then they recommend a small UPS that Amazon sells (~$30 incl. shipping) but I wonder if that isn't overkill. I already have a pretty good APC brand surge protecting power strip, and while I know that won't protect against under-voltage situations, in the 14 months I have lived here I have never seen a power failure, nor have the lights ever flickered or dimmed. Power seems to be pretty stable. I'll go ahead and disconnect the DVD and see if that helps, but I'll hold off on the UPS for now.

tanstaafl.

#323836 - 29/06/2009 19:14 Re: Super fast question: External hard drives on new HD Tivos [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
A UPS isn't going to help you here. The DVD burner disconnect might. But keep in mind that a Tivo is a small computer and all the things that might plague a small computer can plague the Tivo: Power supply. RAM. Bad capacitors on the main board. Dry solder joint. Blah blah blah.

#323852 - 30/06/2009 01:24 Re: Super fast question: External hard drives on new HD Tivos [Re: tfabris]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Yes, My early Series 1 Sony had a failing power supply. They were easy to get on the surplus market. Not expensive to replace. YMMV

#323856 - 30/06/2009 03:32 Re: Super fast question: External hard drives on new HD Tivos [Re: tanstaafl.]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: tfabris
A UPS isn't going to help you here. The DVD burner disconnect might.

DVD disconnected, so far 22 hours with no reboots/freezes. I know it's too early to know, but initial symptoms (i.e., lack thereof) are at least promising.

tanstaafl.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2