Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#323617 - 23/06/2009 18:14 Super fast question: External hard drives on new HD Tivos
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
If I buy this...

And I want more hard drive space...

Must I buy one of these?

Or will any SATA hard disk with an E-SATA plug do?

(It just so happens I snagged a 1tb SATA drive a little bit ago... thanks to a tip here on the bbs... you might remember the thread... and I ended up not hooking it up to my file server yet. Can I just get an E-SATA connector cable for the thing and then just plug it in and it's all done?

#323618 - 23/06/2009 18:28 Re: Super fast question: External hard drives on new HD Tivos [Re: tfabris]
tman
carpal tunnel

Your googlefu fails. The short answer is yes. You need the special DVR expander. If you want to use something else then you need to hack the TiVo and void the warranty.

#323619 - 23/06/2009 18:39 Re: Super fast question: External hard drives on new HD Tivos [Re: tman]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

FANTASTIC link. It answers all of my questions. I might see about using that 1tb drive as an internal upgrade. Thank you very much.

#323620 - 23/06/2009 18:40 Re: Super fast question: External hard drives on new HD Tivos [Re: tman]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I know it's outside the scope of the question, but if you got a Series3 instead of an HDTiVo, you could attach any external SATA drive you want.

#323621 - 23/06/2009 18:40 Re: Super fast question: External hard drives on new HD Tivos [Re: tman]
Waterman981
old hand

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
It is easy to upgrade the hard drive inside the TiVo HD itself, but as Trevor said you will void the warranty. WinMFS is a simple and easy way to upgrade to any SATA drive of your choice. I replaced my TiVo HD drive with a 750 just over a year ago and it's been running great with ton's of storage space. And I still have the original drive if I need.

Edit: Doh! Should have read Trevor's link before posting WinMFS which is mentioned in his link. Of course it's way down on the post before he mentions it.

Edited by Waterman981 (23/06/2009 18:45)
Edit Reason: Didn't read.

#040103696 on a shelf
Mk2a - 90 GB - Red - Illuminated buttons

#323622 - 23/06/2009 18:50 Re: Super fast question: External hard drives on new HD Tivos [Re: wfaulk]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Dammit. They're back to offering lifetime subscriptions. For ⅓ more than the 3-year subscription. Which I got only because there was no lifetime subscription.

#323623 - 23/06/2009 18:53 Re: Super fast question: External hard drives on new HD Tivos [Re: wfaulk]
Waterman981
old hand

I hear ya... They offered it about 2 months after I activated my TiVo HD a few years ago. I could always get a second one with Lifetime, but I still need to finish the contract on my current one. frown

#040103696 on a shelf

#323624 - 23/06/2009 18:54 Re: Super fast question: External hard drives on new HD Tivos [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Originally Posted By: wfaulk
Dammit. They're back to offering lifetime subscriptions. For ⅓ more than the 3-year subscription. Which I got only because there was no lifetime subscription.

SInce TiVo stopped innovating years ago and thanks to their various deals with other companies (such as their exclusive with WD for HD expansion), I wouldn't touch one again even if it included a lifetime sub at the base retail price.

Unfortunately it seems they're turning into a bit of a patent troll to boot.

#323625 - 23/06/2009 18:57 Re: Super fast question: External hard drives on new HD Tivos [Re: hybrid8]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Originally Posted By: hybrid8
Unfortunately it seems they're turning into a bit of a patent troll to boot.

At least they actually make and sell products embodying the patents in question. That puts them about one fiery and squalid circle of hell above the actual patent trolls, IMO.

Peter

#323626 - 23/06/2009 18:59 Re: Super fast question: External hard drives on new HD Tivos [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I have a Series 3 model, which was the first to support external drives, and did so before there even was a Tivo-branded drive. So I went to the Tivo forums and bought the most popular drive people were using (a 750GB Seagate) and the most popular enclosure (a very nice Antec model with great, quiet cooling.

This solution has worked flawlessly for about two years, aside from the annoyance that when the TV was off and it was silent in the room, it was quite easy to hear the hard disk, even when nothing was recording.

But then there's last month. Our Tivo started freezing quite a bit and rebooting. I posted this and several other symptoms to the Tivo forums, and they correctly diagnosed it as hard disk failure on the external drive. I removed the drive, which wipes out all of the recordings, and everything is fine now, aside from having an annoyingly small amount of HD recording space (I have to be super vigilant or we lose a lot of recordings).

Eventually I plan on getting a new external drive, but I think I'll go with the Tivo-branded one this time, despite the higher cost. I know that Western Digital's MyBooks are seriously quiet (I have two on my desk right now and they're silent), and I think these would be more suited to the task of being used on a DVR.

So my suggestion is to replace the drive (not easy) or get the Tivo external drive (easy, but not entirely inexpensive).

#323627 - 23/06/2009 19:02 Re: Super fast question: External hard drives on new HD Tivos [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

On father's day they were offering the Tivo and the lifetime sub for $100 off of each. Not bad.

#323628 - 23/06/2009 19:12 Re: Super fast question: External hard drives on new HD Tivos [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: hybrid8
SInce TiVo stopped innovating years ago and thanks to their various deals with other companies (such as their exclusive with WD for HD expansion), I wouldn't touch one again even if it included a lifetime sub at the base retail price.

I don't really care that much if they're innovative. I want it to just work, and have a reasonable UI that doesn't look like shit, which makes it pretty much the only game in town.

#323629 - 23/06/2009 19:20 Re: Super fast question: External hard drives on new HD Tivos [Re: wfaulk]
Phoenix42
veteran

Loc: MA but Irish born
Not to far off topic, has there been any update on their new DirecTV box?

#323630 - 23/06/2009 20:44 Re: Super fast question: External hard drives on new HD Tivos [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I know it's outside the scope of the question, but if you got a Series3 instead of an HDTiVo, you could attach any external SATA drive you want.

When I go to http://www.tivo.com and click on the "Tivo DVRs" link, that's all they give me: Tivo Series 2, Tivo HD, and Tivo HD XL. There's no mention of a Series 3. I thought I *was* buying a series 3 since the Series *2* is the only one called out separately.

Where's the Series 3 sold if not at Tivo.com?

#323631 - 23/06/2009 20:47 Re: Super fast question: External hard drives on new HD Tivos [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Aha, answered my own question, from their FAQ:

Quote:
How is TiVo HD different from the TiVo Series3 HD DVR?

Both products are designed on the Series3 architecture so the core TiVo functionality is the same. However, the TiVo Series3 HD DVR offers a bigger hard drive (250GB), THX® certification, a front panel display, and a programmable, backlit TiVo Glo remote control.

Yeah, the only thing I'd want out of that list is the bigger hard disk, and I'm already solving that problem at the lower cost (hopefully).

#323632 - 23/06/2009 22:13 Re: Super fast question: External hard drives on new HD Tivos [Re: Dignan]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Originally Posted By: Dignan
But then there's last month. Our Tivo started freezing quite a bit and rebooting. I posted this and several other symptoms to the Tivo forums, and they correctly diagnosed it as hard disk failure on the external drive

I have a Pioneer-branded TiVo, not sure what series but it is single tuner and not HD, that SWMBO bought used at a pretty reasonable price. She bought it because it had a lifetime subscription, and also a built-in DVD player/recorder. It is exhibiting the symptoms you describe: random reboots and lockups. It is most likely to reboot or lock up when playing back a previous recording at the same time it is recording a new one. I always make sure that I have it paused in playback mode before turning it off and this helps, but I still average one or two reboots/lockups per day.

There is no external hard drive on this TiVo, but could my trouble be caused by an internal hard drive problem? And if so, just how daunting a task is it to replace the hard drive? I think it is a pretty small hard drive, it only holds 30 hours at the next-to-best recording quality.

tanstaafl.

#323637 - 23/06/2009 23:30 Re: Super fast question: External hard drives on new HD Tivos [Re: tfabris]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
The glow remote is much better than the standard squishy button one. I bought one for my series 2 when it's remote died. I was pleasantly surprised I wasn't expecting it to work any better. Not that it's worth getting a different DVR for.

So you guys with series 3 family Tivos, how do you get charged for cable cards ? do you end up paying more than the cable box was ?

Matt

#323641 - 24/06/2009 00:38 Re: Super fast question: External hard drives on new HD Tivos [Re: tanstaafl.]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

You can replace the hard drive yourself with any old hard drive, but it's kind of a pain in the ass to properly initialize it. There are companies that will sell you a pre-initialized drive so that all you have to do is physically replace it.

#323642 - 24/06/2009 01:11 Re: Super fast question: External hard drives on new HD Tivos [Re: tanstaafl.]
Attack
addict

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
I have a Pioneer-branded TiVo, not sure what series but it is single tuner and not HD, that SWMBO bought used at a pretty reasonable price. She bought it because it had a lifetime subscription, and also a built-in DVD player/recorder. It is exhibiting the symptoms you describe: random reboots and lockups. It is most likely to reboot or lock up when playing back a previous recording at the same time it is recording a new one. I always make sure that I have it paused in playback mode before turning it off and this helps, but I still average one or two reboots/lockups per day.

There is no external hard drive on this TiVo, but could my trouble be caused by an internal hard drive problem? And if so, just how daunting a task is it to replace the hard drive? I think it is a pretty small hard drive, it only holds 30 hours at the next-to-best recording quality.

tanstaafl.

I would say that the trouble your having is a hard drive problem. Replacing the internal drive is simple. Here is an older FAQ more relivant to your TiVo but I would use the newer WinMFS tool to copy your current drive to the replacement drive. If you don't have a SATA/IDE to USB adapter get one in will make all of this even easier.

Edit:
After reading a bit more the it seems you might have a locked drive and would need to use the MFSLive CD to run diskutil -u 2 on the drive. I don't know if the MFSLive CD has USB drive support, this will require to open your PC and connect the drive via the ide cable.

Also when using WinMFS if you plan on expanding the drive space you might need to enable the MfsSuperSize option as the size of your drive might also be locked.

Edited by Attack (24/06/2009 01:35)

#323647 - 24/06/2009 03:49 Re: Super fast question: External hard drives on new HD Tivos [Re: msaeger]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
There is no external hard drive on this TiVo, but could my trouble be caused by an internal hard drive problem? And if so, just how daunting a task is it to replace the hard drive?

I can't really say for sure, but it certainly sounds like the same symptoms I had. The good news is that, as Bitt mentioned, there are sites that will make the hard disk replacement process as painless as possible for you. The classic site IMO is Weaknees, which will sell you a drive kit specifically designed for your model, and give you everything you need to do the swap, right down the the Torx keys.

The other good news is that I'd be surprised if you could even buy a hard disk as small as the drive you'll be replacing. For instance, it looks like the smallest recording time you'll be able to order from that site is 180 hours smile

Originally Posted By: msaeger
The glow remote is much better than the standard squishy button one.

Agreed. The glow remote is fantastic. My three favorite features: the lighted buttons (obviously), the quality of the buttons (not to hard/soft, with a satisfying click when pressed), and most importantly - on the back of the remote, the battery compartment is ridged. That might not seem important, but in my experience it eliminates the only complaint I've ever had about the peanut remotes: that I always pick it up backwards smile

#323650 - 24/06/2009 04:59 Re: Super fast question: External hard drives on new HD Tivos [Re: Dignan]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

The classic site IMO is Weaknees, which will sell you a drive kit specifically designed for your model, and give you everything you need to do the swap, right down the the Torx keys.

You're my hero!

Products ordered:
SKU: rs300pio8
Product: Pioneer 810H TiVo Upgrade Kit: Replace with one 320gb hard drive
Quantity: 1
Item price: $ 139.00

This quadruples my recording time from 90 hours (at base rate) to 350 hours; at the quality level I record at I should get about 120 hours, far more than I will ever need. More importantly, it should fix the reboot/lockup problem, but no guarantees. About 80% likelihood is my guess.

Thank you for that link.

tanstaafl.

#323652 - 24/06/2009 05:21 Re: Super fast question: External hard drives on new HD Tivos [Re: tanstaafl.]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

No problem! Glad I could help. I very much hope that is the issue smile

Aha! I just found the post I made about this on the Tivo Community Forums. Were you getting incomplete and/or garbled recordings?

#323661 - 24/06/2009 13:33 Re: Super fast question: External hard drives on new HD Tivos [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I find that the lighted buttons wear out the batteries too fast, probably especially because I use rechargeables, so I've turned that off. I find that I notice the weight distribution is more significant to me as far as picking it up backwards goes.

#323665 - 24/06/2009 15:17 Re: Super fast question: External hard drives on new HD Tivos [Re: Dignan]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Were you getting incomplete and/or garbled recordings?

Yes... and no. The big problem is random reboots in the middle of recording or playback, most frequently when watching a previously recorded program at the same time as recording another. Sometimes it will reboot while recording when I am not otherwise using it, this shows up as a single program split into two sessions with eight minutes of programming missing at the time of the split. Other times (less frequently) the picture will just freeze, all controls unresponsive, and my only choice is to pull the power and force a reboot. Still other times (even less frequently) the entire TV screen turns into a garbled green pattern of tight zig-zags and then freezes, again forcing a power-off reboot. One or another of these problems occurs on average once or twice a day, although I have had three spontaneous reboots occur in a single hour.

If the new hard drive doesn't fix it, then the site you linked to has a flat-rate $99 repair service (if the problem is not the DVD player/burner) so that is another avenue open to me.

Of course by the time I get through all this I may well have spent more money than a new TiVo would cost... except that this TiVo has a lifetime subscription which makes it pretty valuable to me.

tanstaafl.

#323671 - 24/06/2009 17:03 Re: Super fast question: External hard drives on new HD Tivos [Re: tanstaafl.]
Waterman981
old hand

As you're doing a quick drive swap remember to write down all your season passes! Nothing worse than having to swap drives again to get them all. wink

#040103696 on a shelf

#323672 - 24/06/2009 18:18 Re: Super fast question: External hard drives on new HD Tivos [Re: Waterman981]
TigerJimmy
old hand

Originally Posted By: Waterman981
As you're doing a quick drive swap remember to write down all your season passes! Nothing worse than having to swap drives again to get them all. wink

I've upgraded the internal HD on two different Tivos, including a Tivo HD. You can copy everything over from the old disk to the new one which will bring all season passes, network settings, and recorded programs and everything else.

It's super easy to change the disk and the program I used was really simple to use. I wouldn't hesitate to just replace the internal hard disk with a bigger one. I went to a 1000GB drive.

FWIW,

Jim

#323673 - 24/06/2009 18:35 Re: Super fast question: External hard drives on new HD Tivos [Re: TigerJimmy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

This Tivo HD will be the third DVR in my posession. What I really wish is that there was a way to transfer the old recordings from the old DVRs over to the new Tivo.

I have to give up one of the two old DVRs since it's a non-Tivo DirecTV lease box and I'm moving away from DirecTV. I'm still hanging on to my really old DirecTivo with the old recordings, but I don't suppose there's an easy way I can go about grabbing the old recordings off of either box and putting them on the new Tivo HD?

#323674 - 24/06/2009 18:44 Re: Super fast question: External hard drives on new HD Tivos [Re: tfabris]
TigerJimmy
old hand

There's not an easy way, but you *can* do it. You change the setting on your online account to enable sharing between Tivos, then put both on a network. You can then browse the old unit from the UI on the new unit and transfer the recordings over. You can queue them up, but you've got to mark them for transfer individually. There are other ways to do it, but none of them are worth the hassle, IMHO.

#323675 - 24/06/2009 18:46 Re: Super fast question: External hard drives on new HD Tivos [Re: TigerJimmy]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: TigerJimmy
It's super easy to change the disk

Assuming you think it's "super easy" to open your desktop computer, attach the new hard drive and the old hard drive, boot up off of a CDROM you burned using an image you downloaded from somewhere, and run the requisite programs that have apparently been documented by a 12-year-old Yanomami boy with ADHD.

#323676 - 24/06/2009 18:49 Re: Super fast question: External hard drives on new HD Tivos [Re: TigerJimmy]
Waterman981
old hand

Originally Posted By: TigerJimmy
Originally Posted By: Waterman981

I've upgraded the internal HD on two different Tivos, including a Tivo HD. You can copy everything over from the old disk to the new one which will bring all season passes, network settings, and recorded programs and everything else.

It's super easy to change the disk and the program I used was really simple to use. I wouldn't hesitate to just replace the internal hard disk with a bigger one. I went to a 1000GB drive.

FWIW,

Jim

I've done hard drive upgrades as you mentioned, but as Doug bought a "drop in" replacement drive that already has the TiVo software on it, I mentioned that to avoid realizing he forgot all his season passes after it's been swapped.

#040103696 on a shelf

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >