Originally Posted By: Dignan
Were you getting incomplete and/or garbled recordings?

Yes... and no. The big problem is random reboots in the middle of recording or playback, most frequently when watching a previously recorded program at the same time as recording another. Sometimes it will reboot while recording when I am not otherwise using it, this shows up as a single program split into two sessions with eight minutes of programming missing at the time of the split. Other times (less frequently) the picture will just freeze, all controls unresponsive, and my only choice is to pull the power and force a reboot. Still other times (even less frequently) the entire TV screen turns into a garbled green pattern of tight zig-zags and then freezes, again forcing a power-off reboot. One or another of these problems occurs on average once or twice a day, although I have had three spontaneous reboots occur in a single hour.

If the new hard drive doesn't fix it, then the site you linked to has a flat-rate $99 repair service (if the problem is not the DVD player/burner) so that is another avenue open to me.

Of course by the time I get through all this I may well have spent more money than a new TiVo would cost... except that this TiVo has a lifetime subscription which makes it pretty valuable to me.

tanstaafl.