Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#324158 - 11/07/2009 00:47 Thumbnail question
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
No, not the kind of thumbnail you're thinking of... smile

The thumbnail on my right hand is cracked. It has been cracked for going on two years now, and I don't know what to do about it.

I can trim the nail to the point where there is only a fraction of a millimeter of crack left, and as the nail grows out the crack grows with it. If I bang the nail on something the crack will spread further down the nail, but otherwise it stays right where it is in the picture. I have tried the usual remedies (cyanoacrylic glue and repair powder) and that covers and protects the cracked area, but the crack remains and exactly matches the growth of the nail.

BTW... if you want an interesting challenge, just try photographing your right thumbnail! smile

tanstaafl.

Attachments
Thumbnail.jpg

Description: Right thumbnail with crack

#324159 - 11/07/2009 02:32 Re: Thumbnail question [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Try an antifungal.

#324160 - 11/07/2009 02:37 Re: Thumbnail question [Re: tanstaafl.]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
If I were concerned about it, I'd go to a manicurist. And not that cheap strip-mall manicurist, either. Find the most reputable spa you can and have it done there. Pay ten times as much. You're probably only going to need to do it once.

(I think they have fiberglass plasters for exactly this sort of thing, which I think is really cool.)

#324164 - 11/07/2009 11:00 Re: Thumbnail question [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Don't let the manicurist put any designs of birds, flowers or insert fake gems onto the nail though. I've regretted it every time. wink

#324173 - 13/07/2009 13:57 Re: Thumbnail question [Re: tanstaafl.]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
if you want an interesting challenge, just try photographing your right thumbnail! smile

Attachments
thumb.jpg

#324174 - 13/07/2009 14:04 Re: Thumbnail question [Re: hybrid8]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
Originally Posted By: hybrid8
Don't let the manicurist put any designs of birds, flowers or insert fake gems onto the nail though. I've regretted it every time. wink

Perhaps this is more your style?

laughing *with* you

#324177 - 13/07/2009 16:58 Re: Thumbnail question [Re: canuckInOR]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Nicely done. What sort of camera did you use?

My camera is laid out like an SLR (Panasonic DMC-50Z) with the shutter release reachable only with the right hand, while camera support and focusing is done with the left. I ended up having to preset the focus manually, then use the 10 second timer to start the shutter release countdown while I transferred the camera to my left hand, moving my right hand into the picture in time for the actual exposure.

I still haven't figured out why the split in that nail has remained for nearly two years though. It suggests that there is some underlying pathology there causing the nail to split as it grows out. It never gets worse (unless I accidentally bang the nail on something which is why I keep it cut so short) but it never gets better, either. [Bitt: Should that be "neither" rather than "either"?] A puzzling annoyance.

tanstaafl.

#324178 - 13/07/2009 17:09 Re: Thumbnail question [Re: tanstaafl.]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
but it never gets better, either. [Bitt: Should that be "neither" rather than "either"?]

No. Then it would be a double-negative ("never" + "neither"), which is either grammatically or logically incorrect, depending on your grammar nazi quotient. You could, though, rephrase it as "but neither does it get any better."

Edited by wfaulk (13/07/2009 17:11)
Edit Reason: clarity/scansion/flow

#324179 - 13/07/2009 17:13 Re: Thumbnail question [Re: tanstaafl.]
pca
old hand

Loc: UK
It's probably damage to the underlying nail bed. It might be, as suggested, a fungal infection as these can last for years. Or it may just be some bad cells that aren't replicating keratin properly. I had a slightly odd toenail that did something similar for many years. It eventually seemed to fix itself, but it took a very long time.

There are all sorts of conditions and diseases that show up as changes in the nails.

pca

#324180 - 13/07/2009 18:00 Re: Thumbnail question [Re: tanstaafl.]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Nicely done. What sort of camera did you use?

My Olympus Stylus 1030-SW. It's a palm-size point-n-shoot, and has a 2cm focus-distance in super-macro mode. As a camera, it's mediocre at best. The only reason I bought it is because it's so dang tough. Shockproof and waterproof -- exactly what I need for whitewater kayaking.

#324181 - 13/07/2009 23:17 Re: Thumbnail question [Re: tanstaafl.]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
My left index finger has something similar. It was the result of something being jammed deeply into the cuticle. (Edit: Jewelers screwdriver, and yes I was misusing that tool at the time) I suspect a bit of scar tissue is mucking things up.

My nail is just a bit thin, from the underside, and if the nail gets too long, it tends to split and tear off to the short side, leaving a big chunk missing.

I asked my Doc about it once, About the only option is to remove the nail. Anything else would likely just make the problem worse.

Edited by gbeer (13/07/2009 23:19)

#324187 - 14/07/2009 03:59 Re: Thumbnail question [Re: tanstaafl.]
Schido
enthusiast

Loc: Probably lost somewhere in Wal...
Quote:

My camera is laid out like an SLR (Panasonic DMC-50Z) with the shutter release reachable only with the right hand, while camera support and focusing is done with the left. I ended up having to preset the focus manually, then use the 10 second timer to start the shutter release countdown while I transferred the camera to my left hand, moving my right hand into the picture in time for the actual exposure.

Very simple solution: Hold the camera upside down, and press the shutter with you left thumb?
Empeg Mk1 #00177, 2.00 final, hijack 4.76

#324196 - 14/07/2009 16:23 Re: Thumbnail question [Re: Schido]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Schido

Very simple solution: Hold the camera upside down, and press the shutter with you left thumb?

I tried that, and it can be done, but in that orientation the balance of the camera is very awkward with the hand turned upside down as well as the camera, and it was quite difficult to support the weight of the camera primarily with my thumb and simultaneously work the shutter release. In the end, the timer was the better solution.

tanstaafl.