Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#326113 - 15/09/2009 07:39 Re: Best Mass Payment Method? [Re: tfabris]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Originally Posted By: tfabris
Originally Posted By: peter
And there was me thinking y'all would run out of stuff to fix once you'd fixed healthcare.

Yeah, it's pretty slimy.

Well, not just that bit. It's pretty general in the UK nowadays that you can ring up your bank and do a transfer to someone else's account, even at another bank, for free and (I'm fairly sure) same-day. Online too, though for anti-fraud reasons the bank I use will only let you do online transfers to accounts you've done transfers to before, so the first one has to be by phone banking.

On the other hand I've never heard of direct deposit to more than one account, though maybe that's something people don't need over here because inter-account transfers are so easy.

Peter

#326114 - 15/09/2009 09:23 Re: Best Mass Payment Method? [Re: peter]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
It's pretty general in the UK nowadays that you can ring up your bank and do a transfer to someone else's account, even at another bank, for free and (I'm fairly sure) same-day.

Same day for accounts at the same bank; I think it's usually 3-4 days for accounts at other banks, although there are periodically noises about forcing the banks to change this -- it's artificial, and they just sit on the money for those days.

Quote:
Online too, though for anti-fraud reasons the bank I use will only let you do online transfers to accounts you've done transfers to before, so the first one has to be by phone banking.

My bank will let me set up transfers online as well.

Quote:
On the other hand I've never heard of direct deposit to more than one account

Never heard of this either.

#326115 - 15/09/2009 09:33 Re: Best Mass Payment Method? [Re: Roger]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Originally Posted By: Roger
It's pretty general in the UK nowadays that you can ring up your bank and do a transfer to someone else's account, even at another bank, for free and (I'm fairly sure) same-day.

Same day for accounts at the same bank; I think it's usually 3-4 days for accounts at other banks, although there are periodically noises about forcing the banks to change this -- it's artificial, and they just sit on the money for those days.

It isn't just noises any more, it really is same day between any of the banks implementing the Faster Payments scheme.

http://www.apacs.org.uk/sortcodechecker/index.html

Not all the banks are doing it yet, but a good half of my payments end up going same day now, for free.

#326116 - 15/09/2009 10:50 Re: Best Mass Payment Method? [Re: tanstaafl.]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
I have never been charged a fee of any kind for any service by my bank, a small, locally owned bank in Fairbanks, Alaska. Those services include checking, savings, wire transfers to foreign countries, money orders, automatic monthly bill pay, electronic banking, overdraft protection, and a host of other services I don't remember or never needed to use. (I have used all of the services listed above)

My overdraft protection is not free, but there is no fee involved. Instead, I have a revolving line of credit so if I go into overdraft, the bank just covers the overdraft and I pay about 8% annual interest on the loan which is normally paid back within a few days so actual expense is trivial.

My credit union is the same way. Free checks, interest earned on savings and checking accounts, no fee outside of interest for overdraft, etc. They do charge for out of network ATMs, which is rough since the credit union is in UT and I'm in AZ. It works great for online payment though.

#326117 - 15/09/2009 11:38 Re: Best Mass Payment Method? [Re: tanstaafl.]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I, uh, availed myself of my overdraft protection recently. (I did it all for you guys.) Turns out that the bank sends me a letter via first-class mail so I get it ASAP, which costs 33¢ postage. So 50¢ sounds like it's pretty much just to cover costs.

Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
at Costco (they don't take my Visa card there)

Huh? Do they not take Visa at all or something?

#326118 - 15/09/2009 11:43 Re: Best Mass Payment Method? [Re: wfaulk]
petteri
addict

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Costco is American Express only. I don't think they accept anything other than cash, American Express or a local check. I don't think debit cards work as they aren't connected to the VISA/Mastercard system that most debit cards use to connect to the bank account.

#326119 - 15/09/2009 11:46 Re: Best Mass Payment Method? [Re: petteri]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Thankfully Costco in the UK accept debit cards wink

I remember when I started my first job, at the newly opened ADSA hypermarket (which at the time was the biggest in the UK). They only accepted cash and cheques.

Worse than that, you couldn't use a cheque on your first visit. You had to pay with cash the first time (I think there was a minimum amount you had to spend) and then take your receipt and cheque book to customer services. They would then stamp your cheque book, which would mean your cheques would be accepted next time you shopped.

Nowadays there are plenty of places that don't take cheques at all, thank goodness.

Edited by andy (15/09/2009 11:57)

#326120 - 15/09/2009 12:27 Re: Best Mass Payment Method? [Re: andy]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Costco in Canada (just for comparison) accept American Express, Cash and all Canadian ATM cards (our "debit cards") The processing for cards is independent of the card vendors, and for ATM cards it's called "Interac." In the US you have the Plus system, which allows use of cards on that network at ATMs (they don't have to be Visa nor MC). I have no idea is anyone supports Plus at retail.

#326121 - 15/09/2009 13:03 Re: Best Mass Payment Method? [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Plus is only one of many interbank networks, though (I think) the largest and one of the few nationwide ones. Those networks all interoperate, though. They function as the intermediary for both ATM and PoS purchases for ATM/debit/check cards.

It seems like they would be the best candidate for direct transfer of funds between people. I don't know why something hasn't already come up. I would guess that either there's some legislation involved or they don't think it would be profitable, or both.

#326124 - 15/09/2009 18:45 Re: Best Mass Payment Method? [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Interac also does the interbank "email money transfers" in Canada that we've previously discussed in another thread. And charges $1.50 for each such transaction.

#326125 - 15/09/2009 19:53 Re: Best Mass Payment Method? [Re: hybrid8]
Shonky
pooh-bah

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
I just had to have a comment here. I'm really surprised this is so much hassle for you guys in the US. In Australia we can easily transfer money electronically with just a BSB (Bank State Branch) and Account Number. All the banks have online banking facilities and regular transfers can be easily set up.

The money makes it there overnight (at worst - sometimes even same day). About the only quicker way is walking into a bank and depositing cash with the teller (ie no ATM)

The transaction is essentially free. It counts as a withdrawal on one account and then a deposit on the other. Deposits are almost always free although some accounts have a limited number of free withdrawals per month (usually 10 or 20 or so).

You can even put your own description which appears on the receiver's statement. Even though it's a credit friends and I have often put dubious text comments in to embarrass each other.

And we're always whinging about bank fees and the banks making huge profits here...
#40104192 120Gb (no longer in my E36 M3, won't fit the E46 M3)

#326128 - 15/09/2009 20:23 Re: Best Mass Payment Method? [Re: Shonky]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Hehe. I just found this:

Quote:
Visa Money Transfer is not available for Visa cards issued in the following countries: Balkans, Belarus, Colombia, Congo, Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Ivory Coast, Liberia, Myanmar, Nigeria, North Korea, Sudan, Syria, USA, Venezuela and Zimbabwe.

It's got to be legislation.

#326129 - 15/09/2009 20:52 Re: Best Mass Payment Method? [Re: Shonky]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Originally Posted By: Shonky
You can even put your own description which appears on the receiver's statement. Even though it's a credit friends and I have often put dubious text comments in to embarrass each other.

I thought I was the only person that did that.....

Andy M

#326132 - 15/09/2009 22:04 Re: Best Mass Payment Method? [Re: peter]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
On the other hand I've never heard of direct deposit to more than one account, though maybe that's something people don't need over here because inter-account transfers are so easy.

Direct deposit to more than one account seems pretty common, at least at the places where I've worked. Even if inter-account transfers are simple, if you know that about 20% of your paycheck needs to end up in your checking account to cover expenses, and 2% needs to go into your daughter's college savings account, and 15% is slated for your investment account, why wouldn't you set it up so you don't have to keep making those transfers?

#349407 - 07/12/2011 12:49 Re: Best Mass Payment Method? [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Necropost.

Dwolla looks interesting.

$0.25 fee per transaction, unless it's less than $10, in which case it's free. cite

$5000 limit per transaction, but apparently no limit on the number of transactions or total amount transferred. cite

#349413 - 07/12/2011 22:46 Re: Best Mass Payment Method? [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Nice! I'll have to remember this in another 12-13 years for my 25th HS Reunion... smile

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3