Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 8 of 12 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 >
Topic Options
#330799 - 04/03/2010 17:37 Re: Nexus One - The "Google Phone" [Re: drakino]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Yes, I mean that a potential solution is to drop gestures.

I was going to mention the typing thing, but decided to ignore it for simplicity's sake. It can still detect multiple simultaneous taps accurately, even if they're on the same axis. It's only crossover movement that's affected. (Assuming my supposition about the mechanism of failure is correct.)

Another solution is to disallow gestures that cross axes. If it was good enough for the Ghostbusters, it should be good enough for Google. wink

For the record, I don't think that the iPhone is bad or that Android is an iPhone killer. I don't think the iPhone should be killed. Android is merely an alternative, and one I happen to prefer for a variety of reasons. Are there drawbacks? Sure. But the reasons I chose this over the iPhone more than make up for them, for me.

#330800 - 04/03/2010 17:51 Re: Nexus One - The "Google Phone" [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I don't think that Android should be killed. On the contrary. As mentioned, I think it should continue to be improved. And it should make some improvements sooner rather than later. But, some of the existing hardware needs to be fixed one way or another. I'm sure most customers won't want to invest in buying another product just to get a fix many might consider to be a software-like issue. That's going to lead a lot of people away from Android. Not something the platform needs at this critical time.

Edited by hybrid8 (04/03/2010 17:52)

#330801 - 04/03/2010 18:24 Re: Nexus One - The "Google Phone" [Re: drakino]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
Originally Posted By: drakino
Take for example typing. I don't have to slow down my typing on my iPhone to make sure only one finger is actually on the device. Without proper multitouch, it's possible for letters to be dropped due to the second finger either being ignored, or other just as bad situations that would slow me down.

I just use Swype and have zero issues outside of words it doesn't know, which I just type manually (and which are few and far between for normal conversation).

#330802 - 04/03/2010 19:57 Re: Nexus One - The "Google Phone" [Re: RobotCaleb]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Swype is neat. There are still a number of problems, though. It seems that it doesn't work in landscape mode, where it would actually be most useful to me. (Just because of a particular landscape-only app I have.)

#330804 - 04/03/2010 20:18 Re: Nexus One - The "Google Phone" [Re: wfaulk]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
There's a fixed apk on the xda-developers forums that fixes landscape mode.

#330820 - 06/03/2010 04:59 Re: Nexus One - The "Google Phone" [Re: wfaulk]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Originally Posted By: wfaulk
I don't see any reason that they can't make a reasonable guess on battery consumption based on a variety of factors. The CPU is likely to consume a given amount of power based on usage, and it's easy enough to find out which applications used which amount of CPU time. The display probably consumes a known amount of power depending on the number of pixels lit. Same notions with the GPS receiver, GSM radio, etc.

CPU power is incredibly hard to predict unless you're analyzing the stream of instructions, monitoring the DDR bus usage, times ram is in self refresh and so on. Needless to say, this amount of instrumentation is not going on here... Ditto for the radios: GPS power consumption varies easily by 3x depending on number of correlators running, sampling rate and so on whereas this number is just going to be "how many seconds is it on for multiplied by constant". GSM PA power will vary dependent on network conditions *and antenna match* - eg whether something like your hand is close to the antenna.

As for checking the display content for lit pixels... 60 times a second? That's a lot of math unless it's being done by the display itself. I know, I did this at Rio for the OLED product that almost shipped smile

I just had a thought. You're not assuming that it consumed 6% of the entire battery, are you? The Battery Use display is telling you the relative levels of battery use between the applications (and hardware, etc.) that have been running since the phone was unplugged. What they're saying is that the Browser application used relatively little of the battery compared to the GSM radio and the display. I can confirm that if you leave a CPU-hungry application running, it does show up with a significantly higher percentage of battery use in that display.

I'm just saying that the usage page is largely a work of fiction. Yes, you can see gross CPU usage (likely seconds of CPU time multiplied by a constant, not taking into account NEON use, memory bandwidth, storage bandwidth, etc)... it's a first-level approximation for generic applications but not conclusive in any way for determining how an unknown CPU load - flash - is behaving on the system.

#330825 - 06/03/2010 12:57 Re: Nexus One - The "Google Phone" [Re: altman]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Okay, I'll beat Bruno to the punch on this one:

HTC says the Nexus One doesn't 'go in pockets'

#330827 - 06/03/2010 13:28 Re: Nexus One - The "Google Phone" [Re: Dignan]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

I saw that but decided not to mention it. It's a reasonable expectation that you shouldn't manhandle the phone to cause the screen to crack, even if HTC's comment was utterly senseless. They also mentioned "tight jeans" and that's exactly the type of situation in which you're going to damage any piece of glass - slip into tight back pocket and sit down.

I don't have any reason to believe the Nexus One isn't as robust as most other phones.

The most troubling aspect of this whole situation isn't even the comment that was made. It's who made the comment. This is clearly an HTC retail product, not necessarily any more a Google product than any other Android phone. Google hosts a sales page for the product and I suppose that's the fresh/new/different aspect here.

#330832 - 06/03/2010 20:26 Re: Nexus One - The "Google Phone" [Re: hybrid8]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

At this point I'm just hoping to check out a Nexus One in person and decide on whether or not I want to buy it before HTC is barred from selling Android devices...

#330836 - 06/03/2010 22:54 Re: Nexus One - The "Google Phone" [Re: Dignan]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

I wouldn't buy one, no matter how much promise the software shows.

#330839 - 07/03/2010 07:57 Re: Nexus One - The "Google Phone" [Re: hybrid8]
StigOE
addict

Since I'm not Bruno, I plan to buy one, unless Bitt would recommend that I don't.

So Bitt, since you're the only one here I know own one, would you recommend this phone or would you recommend I don't buy one. I'll be using it mainly for phone calls, SMS and the occasional surfing. I'd probably install various programs too, but I haven't owned a smartphone yet so I don't know which programs I would install.

Thanks,
Stig

#330840 - 07/03/2010 08:43 Re: Nexus One - The "Google Phone" [Re: StigOE]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I have had zero problems of any significant nature. In pictures, it looks kinda cheaply made somehow, but that's definitely not the case. It's got a nice heft to it, and I carry it in my (front jeans) pocket all the time. That said, if I have something else in that pocket, I use the little neoprene-like pouch that it comes with. (I don't really like the brown and champagne color scheme, though.)

The only real issue with it that I have is that if you install a lot of applications, the interface can slow down, and sometimes the Launcher (that is, the GUI shell) will crash. Not a problem for you, at least initially, as you don't have anything you're dying to download.

The browser works quite well, and phone calls and SMS seem to work just fine. I don't have enough experience with an iPhone (or any other recent vintage smartphone) to make a great comparison from that front, though. And, honestly, I don't really talk on the phone all that much.

I paid full price for mine (and swapped in a SIM card for a contract I already had) and I am not disappointed in the least. I have experienced both buyer's remorse and post-purchase rationalization/selection bias in the past, and I feel neither of these about the Nexus One.

#330841 - 07/03/2010 08:44 Re: Nexus One - The "Google Phone" [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I'd be happy to show you mine, Matt (if you show me yours — sorry; I couldn't resist), but Raleigh to DC, or even halfway, is pretty far.

#330842 - 07/03/2010 10:02 Re: Nexus One - The "Google Phone" [Re: wfaulk]
StigOE
addict

Thanks, Bitt.

Better to hear from somene who actually own one, since most of what you read is only from the people with problems. Or Apple fanboys... smile

Are you still running the stock image, or have you flashed to an alternate image?

Stig

#330846 - 07/03/2010 12:17 Re: Nexus One - The "Google Phone" [Re: StigOE]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

BTW, the current iPhone isn't good enough for me either. But I'd certainly take one for free on contract. Problem is that I'm not interested in a contract for cell service and the pricing without one is far too high for my taste. So I make due with an iPod touch.

#330849 - 07/03/2010 12:35 Re: Nexus One - The "Google Phone" [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I'd be happy to show you mine, Matt (if you show me yours — sorry; I couldn't resist), but Raleigh to DC, or even halfway, is pretty far.

Yeah, I appreciate that, but I knew you lived there so I thought one of the other couple N1 owners might be closer. I've driven DC to Raleigh twice now, and you're right, it's pretty darn far. I have in-laws in Cary (or, as I've heard, Containment Area for Relocated Yankees).

#330859 - 07/03/2010 15:08 Re: Nexus One - The "Google Phone" [Re: Dignan]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Originally Posted By: Dignan
I've driven DC to Raleigh twice now, and you're right, it's pretty darn far.

Washington DC to Raleigh NC? Google Maps says that's only 277 miles. I drove from Manchester to Newquay and back in a day to attend a funeral last week, that was only 700 miles. I freely admit, it was a long day, but definitely do-able.

I thought you guys in the US drove thousands of miles without batting an eyelid? smile

Andy M

#330860 - 07/03/2010 15:22 Re: Nexus One - The "Google Phone" [Re: andym]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Someone should really invent some kind of MP3-playing car stereo to pass the time on such journeys...

Peter

#330861 - 07/03/2010 16:05 Re: Nexus One - The "Google Phone" [Re: andym]
StigOE
addict

Originally Posted By: andym
Washington DC to Raleigh NC? Google Maps says that's only 277 miles.

Some might argue that even this might be a tad long just to check out a mobile phone... smile

Stig

#330868 - 07/03/2010 20:41 Re: Nexus One - The "Google Phone" [Re: peter]
andym
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: peter
Someone should really invent some kind of MP3-playing car stereo to pass the time on such journeys...

They do, it's called an iPod, and it's a lot easier to install in a hire car than an empeg. Hertz seem to get a little sniffy when you start running power cables through the firewall.

Andy M

#330872 - 07/03/2010 22:04 Re: Nexus One - The "Google Phone" [Re: peter]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: peter

Precisely. I have no problem driving that way to attend my wife's cousin's wedding, but to check out a phone is a little crazy. By the time I paid for gas, I'd be halfway to paying for the subsidized phone!

I'll try to find someone in the DC area with the phone. I'm just not sure how to go about that. Any ideas? There is a Google building in the area. I wonder how they'd feel about me running around inside asking to see someone's Nexus One...

#330873 - 07/03/2010 22:04 Re: Nexus One - The "Google Phone" [Re: StigOE]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: StigOE
Are you still running the stock image, or have you flashed to an alternate image?

I manually upgraded to 2.1, instead of waiting for it to show up (as it was indicated to help the Launcher crashing, which it did). Otherwise, I've done nothing special with the OS.

#330874 - 07/03/2010 22:17 Re: Nexus One - The "Google Phone" [Re: andym]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I've never driven on a UK M highway, so it may be the same, but driving on US interstates, while generally very efficient, is incredibly boring, even with an empeg to pass the time. Sadly, the wife gets irritated if I try to take an alternate route.

Actually, I wouldn't so much mind driving up to Williamsburg or somewhere, avoiding the major highways.

#330880 - 08/03/2010 07:34 Re: Nexus One - The "Google Phone" [Re: wfaulk]
StigOE
addict

[I manually upgraded to 2.1, instead of waiting for it to show up (as it was indicated to help the Launcher crashing, which it did). Otherwise, I've done nothing special with the OS.

Ok, thanks.

Stig

#330888 - 08/03/2010 20:19 Re: Nexus One - The "Google Phone" [Re: StigOE]
andym
carpal tunnel

Some might argue that even this might be a tad long just to check out a mobile phone... smile

I was in the states for work a few years ago and I met a guy who drove a 150 mile round trip commute every day and didn't think anything of it. Mind you, I drove to London for a curry once.... so maybe I'm the mad one.

Andy M

#330896 - 09/03/2010 00:17 Re: Nexus One - The "Google Phone" [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Actually, I wouldn't so much mind driving up to Williamsburg or somewhere, avoiding the major highways.

Oh my goodness no, I wouldn't want to make you drive the majority, even if I was crazy enough to initiate a meetup just to check out a phone! smile Of course, I quite enjoy Williamsburg, having lived there for five years. The College has also changed quite a bit, with a ton of new buildings. The town its self is also getting a huge new residential area a little bit away from the historic parts.

But no, don't worry about it Bitt. I'm going to try to check it out up here.

Alternatively, I could just go ahead and order the darn phone. I think it's a 14 day return policy.

#330904 - 09/03/2010 11:58 Re: Nexus One - The "Google Phone" [Re: andym]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona

I was in the states for work a few years ago and I met a guy who drove a 150 mile round trip commute every day and didn't think anything of it. Mind you, I drove to London for a curry once.... so maybe I'm the mad one.

I think it depends on where you are. Out here, I've driven 270 miles round trip to get a burger for lunch. Up north, we've driven 300 miles one way to watch a hockey game. There isn't much else to do in North Dakota but then again, it was the Jets.

We do have a couple people at work that commute about 115 miles one way. The town they commute from is amazing though, and I can easily see why they'd do it. I'm really fond of my 1 mile commute though laugh

#330905 - 09/03/2010 12:47 Re: Nexus One - The "Google Phone" [Re: andym]
tman
carpal tunnel

Somebody does a 8 hour/1060 mile commute every week. Not quite the same as 150 miles every day but an 8 hour car trip at the start and end of the week would just be horrendous.

I've been to Paris for dinner before on the Eurostar which is about 300 miles or so.

#330906 - 09/03/2010 13:17 Re: Nexus One - The "Google Phone" [Re: tman]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

It's not quite as far, but a guy who once worked for my dad did this commute for over 32 years. In this case it's not the distance, it's the traffic. The end of that commute hits an area that is often rated as one of the top 3 bad traffic spots in the US.

I couldn't stand to do 4 hours of commuting a day for 32 years. Just think of how much of your life is spent doing that. And it clearly took a visible toll. He had bags under the bags under his eyes.

#330910 - 09/03/2010 13:36 Re: Nexus One - The "Google Phone" [Re: Tim]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Originally Posted By: Tim
I'm really fond of my 1 mile commute though laugh

My current commute is 2.2 miles; it takes me about 35-40 minutes by foot. My new commute (in a month or so) will take me just over an hour on the tube, with no changes. I much prefer short commutes.

Page 8 of 12 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 >