Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#3306 - 14/11/1999 05:56 Alphabetical playlists
Mark Miller
journeyman

Loc: Southeastern Pennsylvania
I seem to have some confusion regarding the alphabetical "rules" involved in creating playlists under 8a. I generally prefer the tracks to follow the source CD that I encode with AudioCatalyst (which is in correct sequence.) However Win98 seems to resort the tracks in alphabetical order (which I manually correct --can Win98 be changed?) but somehow I notice the playlists are in alphabetical order again in the empeg but will play in correct order if I select the onscreen > arrow at the beginning of the target CD tracks. I can live with it, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to display the native track order, or if I'm missing something. I don't like the alfa order in my PC, either. Thanks!

#3307 - 14/11/1999 09:29 Re: Alphabetical playlists [Re: Mark Miller]
scoco

Loc: St. Louis, MO
I encoded all of my MP3's with the filename artist - album - track - title (KMFDM - Adios - 01 - Adios.mp3). When I add a playlist to the Empeg, I open the directory in explorer, highlight and copy all of the tracks, and paste them into Emplode. It puts them in the right order everytime.

#3308 - 15/11/1999 16:46 Re: Alphabetical playlists [Re: Mark Miller]
dan
new poster

Loc: UK
I know what you mean, the empeg likes to put things in alpha order:(
I have already sent an e-mail to empeg regarding the matter. I also would like
to see track numbers displayed on the empeg. I am sure most people are like me
and cannot remember track titles but can remember track numbers, comes from
using cd players for all those years!! Perhaps if more people request it they
will sort it out. As for AudioCatalyst I select create Artist dir/Album dir
and use %3_%4 for the filename. If you need a good program to manage your
hard drive full of mp3's I recommend mp3-Exporer @ http://www.mp3-explorer.com
Lets you sort out all those ID3 tags etc, have a look I think its superb,

#3309 - 20/11/1999 11:06 Re: Alphabetical playlists [Re: Mark Miller]
Dredd
enthusiast

Loc: Bay Area, California
I seem to have exactly the opposite problem (unless I'm misunderstanding your problem). Emplode keeps my playlists in the reverse of the order I create them (newest lists on top) and doesn't seem to allow me to sort them. So I might have

empeg-car
\-Men At Work
\-Contraband
\-Madness
\-Leary, Denis
\-Metallica
\-Suicidal Tendencies

Is there any way to tell emplode to alphabetize the left-hand list of playlists? I've already accidentally created the same playlist twice a couple of times (make playlist for Metallica, say, come back later with more Metallica tunes and create a SECOND playlist called "Metallica").. If they were in alphabetical order it would at least be easier to find if an original exists, (although alerting the user when a duplicate Playlist name is created would probably also be a big bonus)

Is there any answer to this?

#3310 - 21/11/1999 22:51 Re: Alphabetical playlists [Re: Mark Miller]
pharf
new poster

Loc: california, usa
I seem to remember a solution that people came up with very early on.

If you want them in the order they are on the cd, and you ripped them in order, you can sort by the modified date in win98 explorer.

For whatever the reason, if you are dragging and dropping a group of files, it makes a difference which file the pointer is actually on. After you put the files in order (sorting by modified date), try dragging them over by clicking on the first song in the list.

I'm not sure if emplode can sort by modified date or even how it works, but I've had similar problems in other situations.

here's a neat demonstration using winamp of what I'm talking about. In windows explorer: If your files are in one directory, sorted alphabetically, and you drag and drop them into another directory as a group, the physical storage of the files is now alphabetical. Load the directory into the winamp playlist and the files are alphabetical (without using winamp to sort.)

Now, do the same thing again, but this time have the files sorted in some other fashion (ie. modifed date). Select them all and move them to another directory. Use winamp to load the directory into the playlist and the files should be in whatever order you had them.

So maybe, if you do this trick and then use emplode, they will go into the empeg in the right order...

good luck.

Pharf

#3311 - 21/11/1999 23:12 Re: Alphabetical playlists [Re: Dredd]
ClemsonJeep
enthusiast

Loc: Ashburn, VA
Er.. yeah. You can put those in any order you want. To change the order of that ROOT filesystem [empeg-car], you have to click on [empeg-car] and then in the right window, click on any of the playlists and drag them up or down the window, and it will move them in the left window (tree) as well.

Ex:

empeg-car
\Men At Work
\Contraband
\Madness

click on [empeg-car] and you'll see
Men At Work
Contraband
Madness

in the right window. Click on Contraband, drag it to the top:
Contraband
Men At Work
Madness

and in the left window it will have made the changes as well.

Hope this helps. If I've completely misunderstood your problem.. just ignore me ;)

(O|||||O)
Q: 0596 S/N: 00246 6GB Blue

#3312 - 22/11/1999 13:38 Re: Alphabetical playlists [Re: ClemsonJeep]
Dredd
enthusiast

Loc: Bay Area, California
Well, yeah, but the idea of bubble-sorting my entire 250-item playlist by hand doesn't really appeal to me. :) I was sorta hoping the computer could be made to do what it does well... hehe

#3313 - 27/11/1999 20:10 Re: Alphabetical playlists [Re: scoco]
Mark Miller
journeyman

Loc: Southeastern Pennsylvania
Thanks, I'll try that!

=MM