Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#341840 - 04/02/2011 01:21 New HD reporting 0.0b free?
Coyttl
new poster

Hey guys - quick question for ya -

I had to get a new HD, as my old one was timing out. Got a new PATA 160Gb drive, and slipped it in. I ran an upgrade file called "builder_bigdisk_v11.upgrade", a builder I think mlord had made a while back. It said it completed successfully, so I install v3.00a11 in, and install v509 hijack. Run jEmplode, and can't upload anything - says that my drive is 0.0b, with 0.0b free.

What'd I forgot? smile

#341874 - 04/02/2011 18:43 Re: New HD reporting 0.0b free? [Re: Coyttl]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: Coyttl
It said it completed successfully

What exactly said it completed successfully?

Do you mean, that Emplode said it successfully sent the upgrade file to the player? That's just the beginning of the builder process. There's more to it. Did you watch the builder operate via the serial port and see if that worked? I'm assuming you followed the drive upgrade guide, the bit I'm concerned about is this bit here:

Quote:
The instant that the upgrade has been applied, and the wizard is finished, run that Hyperterminal profile. Quickly! When the player reboots after the upgrade, you will see it reboot and it will start formatting the disk. You should see the formatter's output in ASCII on the serial port and on the screen of the player.

If the disk drive wasn't blank, the formatter may complain by saying 'disk is already built'. If this happens, you must prune the "fids" folder from the disk and apply the builder image again from scratch. Here is how to do that:

While still in Hyperterminal, get to a shell prompt. There's a chance that you might already be sitting at a shell prompt. If not, press ctrl-C and it should drop you to a shell. If not, see if sending a break command works (should be somewhere on the terminal program's menus).

type rwm (then press enter and wait a while for a shell prompt to appear)

type rm -r /drive0/fids (then press enter)

type rom (then press enter)

If everything worked, then pull the player's power, close Hyperterminal, and restart the procedure as described above, applying the builder image and launching Hyperterminal as soon as it's been applied, to make sure it didn't stall again a second time.

Eventually, it will complete the formatting of the disk. If you're using a factory builder, it will start a disk stress-testing loop at this point. (Note: Mark Lord's Bigdisk Builder does not do a stress testing loop.)

#341876 - 04/02/2011 19:07 Re: New HD reporting 0.0b free? [Re: tfabris]
Coyttl
new poster

Originally Posted By: tfabris
Originally Posted By: Coyttl
It said it completed successfully

What exactly said it completed successfully?

Apologies for not being clear - Mlord's bulider displayed "done!" on the display, and on the com port I was dropped to the bask prompt.

Disk was blank when installed (came fresh from factory, so it was not formatted. Bootup on normal player firmware (before running build script) stated that it found 'hda', no partitions.

At that point I ran the Upgrade tool, selected the v3.0a11 developer's firmware, closed the term program, and when prompted rebooted the empeg. (So that the builder wouldn't start running again, in case.)

The flash of the v3.0a11 reported that it completed successfully, and it rebooted the empeg itself. The player comes up, but (obviously) reports no playlist loaded.

Ran jemplode, noticed that it reported 0.0b/0.0b free, and thought - oh, forgot HiJack. Installed HiJack, no change in jemplode.

I haven't yet looked at the boot log in the term program (as I ran out of time last night). Will do that this evening when I get home.

--Thanks.

#341878 - 04/02/2011 19:40 Re: New HD reporting 0.0b free? [Re: Coyttl]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
That's your problem. "normal player firmware" cannot handle big drives (anything over 128GB). You *must* use a Hijack-based firmware package with that drive.

Redo the builder again, and then install a hijack-based firmware package directly afterwards, watching carefully for error messages and the like.

Cheers

Edited by mlord (04/02/2011 19:41)

#341879 - 04/02/2011 19:54 Re: New HD reporting 0.0b free? [Re: mlord]
Coyttl
new poster

Originally Posted By: mlord
That's your problem. "normal player firmware" cannot handle big drives (anything over 128GB). You *must* use a Hijack-based firmware package with that drive.

Redo the builder again, and then install a hijack-based firmware package directly afterwards, watching carefully for error messages and the like.

Ah, bingo, got ya, thanks for that then. Won't the hijack f/w get overwritten when I do the .upgrade file as well? (Or am I confusing the .upgrade with the .zimage files? Can never keep them straight.)

--Cheers.

Edit: Nevermind guys - I found a second backup folder that had the hijack .upgrade file (v508 I believe) - When I upgraded the first time I had forgotten that I had those files, and like mlord said - I used the wrong one. All is good now. Sorry for bugging!

Edited by Coyttl (04/02/2011 21:53)

#341889 - 05/02/2011 01:35 Re: New HD reporting 0.0b free? [Re: Coyttl]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Well, please do let us all know how things go this time around. There could still be problems, and if there are we want to know!

Thanks

#341920 - 06/02/2011 11:50 Re: New HD reporting 0.0b free? [Re: mlord]
Coyttl
new poster

Went extremely smoothly, actually - all is good. Hijack reporting 158Gb disk size. The player runs much more smoothly with the new drive (less delays in responding to button presses, etc.) and let my library upload overnight so in the morning, it was ready to go. smile The drive I got is a little noisier than others that I've had in the past, outside of the car, you can hear it spinning up/down, but in the car the little added noise is undetectable.

I had upgraded from an 80Gb drive which was only in there for a few months (which I why I couldn't find my hijack.upgrade file, I had moved it to use it back then), and had two CF cards in the unit for the two years preceding that. I won't even go back to CF cards now, despite the cheapness and availability of them, honestly - had too many problems building up to warrant taking them out.