Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#34341 - 11/07/2001 05:59 Toolbar entension on emplode
smu
old hand

Loc: Germany (Ruhrgebiet)
Hi.

This is probably one of the "it's in 1.1, kid" wishes, but anyhow:

While playing a lot with my empeg today (actually upgrading the harddisc), I found a feature I am really missing in emplode:

I wanted to have emplode still active but not connected, no problem, I just disconnected by clicking on the "inner" X in the upper right corner. But I would have really like to either have a shortcut key or a toolbar button to reconnect (i.e. bring up the connection dialog).

cu,
sven
(proud owner of a MkII 12GB blue now green, #080000113)

#34342 - 11/07/2001 06:19 Re: Toolbar entension on emplode [Re: smu]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
It's in v1.1 : There is a "File / Open Connection" menu item, which I think is wired to Ctrl+O

Roger - not necessarily speaking for empeg

#34343 - 12/07/2001 01:31 Re: Toolbar entension on emplode [Re: Roger]
smu
old hand

Hi.

Actually, that menu item exists in 1.03 as well. But if it is wired to CTRL-O (which I can't try right now, emplode is still sync'ing a 8GB batch) that detail is not mentioned in the menu entry. So, it would be great if that shortcut could at least be documented in 1.04 (if that gets ever released - which I don't hope, I'm eagerly waiting for 1.1).

cu,
sven
(proud owner of a MkII 12GB blue now green, #080000113)

#34344 - 12/07/2001 02:35 Re: Toolbar entension on emplode [Re: smu]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
It doesn't work, so there's no point in documenting it. What's wrong with Alt,F,O, anyway ?

Roger - not necessarily speaking for empeg

#34345 - 12/07/2001 10:37 Re: Toolbar entension on emplode [Re: Roger]
smu
old hand

What's wrong with Alt,F,O, anyway?

Well, it's one keypress too much.

cu,
sven
proud MkII owner (12GB blue now green, #080000113)

#34346 - 12/07/2001 15:11 Re: Toolbar entension on emplode [Re: smu]
edwin

Loc: Druten, The Netherlands
Don't you use a mouse?

Edwin de Vaan
mk2 rev.7 Trillian # 080000263 6+20Gb blue/red

#34347 - 13/07/2001 14:18 Re: Toolbar entension on emplode [Re: edwin]
smu
old hand

Don't you use a mouse?

Ever heard of RSI (repetetive stress injury aka carpal tunnel syndrome aka tennis elbow)? My mouse-odometer already exceeds 5miles/day.
I might be better of if I used the eye-tracking harness I saw a while back. Could you borrow me something like $20000? <beg> (pun intended)

cu,
sven

PS: <beg> is short for <big evil grin>

Edited by smu on 13/07/01 10:23 PM.

#34348 - 13/07/2001 16:03 Re: Toolbar entension on emplode [Re: smu]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Personally, when given the choice between having RSI of the hand, or RSI of the eye muscles, I would choose the former.

#34349 - 14/07/2001 06:22 Re: Toolbar entension on emplode [Re: tfabris]
edwin

Loc: Druten, The Netherlands
It is scientifically determined that RSI isn't caused solely by using computer equipment. RSI can be 'caught' from a variety of things, one of those things can be using a mouse or so. If you really want to test it yourself, try setting the movement setting to high (little mouse movements for entire screen). Then when you use it this way, you could develop RSI in a very short time. DTP-related work does indeed involve a high percentage of RSI cases.

Oh well, I just hate it when people say they are experiencing RSI when they actually don't even know what it is. For myself, I'm using computers and equipment now for about 16 years and never had any fysical defects (?) ;o)

Edwin de Vaan
mk2 rev.7 Trillian # 080000263 6+20Gb blue/red

#34350 - 14/07/2001 21:57 Re: Toolbar entension on emplode [Re: edwin]
borislav
addict

Loc: Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Oh well, I just hate it when people say they are experiencing RSI when they actually don't even know what it is. For myself, I'm using computers and equipment now for about 16 years and never had any fysical defects (?) ;o)

If you haven't had RSI then how do you know what it is?

Borislav, not wishing it to anyone.

#34351 - 15/07/2001 01:24 Re: Toolbar entension on emplode [Re: edwin]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
For myself, I'm using computers and equipment now for about 16 years and never had any fysical defects (?) ;o)

More than 25 in my case without problems, but that does not mean the problems don't exist. One has to be carefull both not to over- or underestimate dangers.

Controversies concerning dangers of mobile phones, monitors, HV transfer lines etc come to mind. One of the main problems is that it is extremely easy to make errors in design and/or interpretation of such epidemiological studies, either accidentally or intentionally (if one has a hidden agenda).

Two examples:

Notorious Corning breast implant case, where the company went out of business paying enormous amounts to women allegedly afflicted by an array of health problems because of use of implants. What the studies supporting ridicolous court rulling completelly neglected is that users of implants were exposed to other risk factors (using oral contraceptives, using aggresive hair dies, abusing alcohol etc) several times more than general population. It is not up to study authors to judge someone's lifestyle, but these are still epidemiological facts, being politically correct or not.

Low-frequency EM radiation from monitors: some studies have shown that professional typist are considerably more likely to have miscarriage if they use word processor as opposed to typewritter. Ergo, the monitor is to blame. Nobody noticed this applies only to typists, not programmers, operators etc. The fact is that pregnant WP typists are in danger because they work for hours in the same position, moving only their fingers and eyes. Those using old-fashioned typewritters move and strech every so often when they change paper, collate pages etc. So, the solution is excercise, not 'low-rad' monitors. (My half-serious theory is that these studies, which originated in Scandinavia, were comissioned by Nokia, so that they could offer a solution: a low-rad monitor. I expect something similar with cell phones )

Having said that, I do hate user interfaces which force the user to alternate between keyboard and mouse a lot. I am looking for a keyboard with good tactile feedback and 'eraser' style pointer control, so that I don't have to move my hands from the keyboard (a laptop would do, but I am still to find laptop keyboard I like - I am using an old-fashioned Lexmark $150 keyboard with really good tactile feedback).

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia
Q#5196, MkII#80000376, 18GB green
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#34352 - 15/07/2001 12:30 Re: Toolbar entension on emplode [Re: bonzi]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
I am using an old-fashioned Lexmark $150 keyboard with really good tactile feedback).

Another good keyboard (my personal favorite) is one you would probably hate -- the Gateway AnyKey keyboard.

If by tactile feedback you mean a physical or audible click when a key is depressed, then you won't like the AnyKey. It is a very soft touch keyboard, like typing on velvet, and is quiet. What I really like about it (and this is so essential to my work that I have haunted ebay for years and stockpiled a half dozen keyboards because they are no longer being manufactured) is that it is fully programmable - you can install macros into just about any key on the keyboard. Gateway has told me that I am the only person to ever complain that I could only store 1024 keystrokes as macros before running out of keyboard memory. As a conservative estimate, I would guess that I place between 5,000 and 10,000 keystrokes a day using my macros (some of which are in the vicinity of 100 keystrokes long).

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#34353 - 15/07/2001 16:04 Re: Toolbar entension on emplode [Re: tanstaafl.]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Another good keyboard (my personal favorite) is one you would probably hate -- the Gateway AnyKey keyboard.

If by tactile feedback you mean a physical or audible click when a key is depressed, then you won't like the AnyKey. It is a very soft touch keyboard, like typing on velvet, and is quiet.

I know that keyboard (that's the one with fuction keys all over, both over the top and on the left, like original PC keyboard, and with 8 cursor keys - normal and diagonal, right?) You are right, I hate it, especially too soft, kind of undefined feel to the keys. I really like mechanical click (or rather klang in the case of my keyboard) heard but espacially felt. Of course, there are worse: some Compaqs had keyboards with tactile feedback, but it lied: you felt click before the key made contact. Awfull!

I had to use one of AnyKeys a couple of weeks ago and had to constantly look at it: cursor keys are in the wrong place, entire rows are shifted, shift/ctrl/alt position is non-standard... (other keyboards - some Sun's, for example, suffer from the same problems). However, I remember I liked the layout when the keyboard first came out.

As for macros, I prefer to write them in the software I use. Of course, with some Windows SW it might not be possible...

Cheers!

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia
Q#5196, MkII#80000376, 18GB green
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#34354 - 15/07/2001 18:56 Re: Toolbar entension on emplode [Re: tanstaafl.]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I never really used one of those particualr keyboards for personal use, but did administer a lab full of them. I probably averaged at least 10 Ctrl-Alt-Macro presses a day to get the things out of macro mode.

#34355 - 15/07/2001 23:04 Re: Toolbar entension on emplode [Re: drakino]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yeah, that's what I told Doug, too, the first time he raved about the AnyKey to me...

#34356 - 16/07/2001 07:53 Re: Toolbar entension on emplode [Re: edwin]
smu
old hand

Oh well, I just hate it when people say they are experiencing RSI when they actually don't even know what it is.

Rest asured that I certainly know what RSI is, and how it may be caused or not. I know perfectly well that I narrowed RSI down too much when just equaling it with a carpal tunnel syndrome, but hey, it was just a joke, ok?

cu,
sven