Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#344648 - 02/05/2011 16:54 Linux/Perl Help
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
There's a long and somewhat uninteresting story around this request, but the bottom line is that my project needs someone short term to build a Linux server and bring a bunch of Perl scripts online. The scripts themselves are a mess- not well developed or maintained, and we don't have any in-house professional experience with Linux except for a few guys who have done some band-aiding here and there to the scripts in question. All of their experience has been maintaining scripts on an existing Linux box, not bringing them up from scratch (though they have a TON of business knowledge regarding what the scripts actually do).

We were implored during our stand up today to call on any resources we can find to help with this, so I figured someone here might have the skills/time/inclination to take on a short term contract to get us up and running and then provide follow up support as necessary (which should be minimal since we have a guy who was maintaining these scripts before in a different environment). If anyone has interest, please contact me. I have no idea what the particulars are regarding compensation etc., but I know this is a critical thing and the powers that be need it done fast and by someone they can trust. I am sure they understand how this translates into reasonable compensation.

Note: I am being as up front as possible about the code quality being abysmal. A large part of my job the last few years has been re-writing the scripts into windows services that actually have unit tests and put through rigid QA. What we are dealing with now are scripts that haven't gotten ported.

#344649 - 02/05/2011 17:16 Re: Linux/Perl Help [Re: JeffS]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Can the person work remotely?

#344650 - 02/05/2011 17:24 Re: Linux/Perl Help [Re: canuckInOR]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: canuckInOR
Can the person work remotely?

My assumption is yes- I asked that question and the response was basically "whatever we have to do to get this going ASAP.", though obviously they would prefer someone who could come on site. I anticipate that if anyone from here were to work on this, it would all be done remotely.

#344651 - 02/05/2011 17:40 Re: Linux/Perl Help [Re: JeffS]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
MMm.. good opportunity for someone to take a career leap into contracting. smile

(don't look at me.. busy)

#344653 - 02/05/2011 18:07 Re: Linux/Perl Help [Re: mlord]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: mlord
(don't look at me.. busy)

Ditto, and the guy I was going to recommend declined on the basis that he no longer wants anything to do with perl. smile

Wasn't Bitt recently out-of-work? From his posts here, I think he probably has the chops you're looking for.

#344654 - 02/05/2011 19:25 Re: Linux/Perl Help [Re: JeffS]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I'm unemployed. I can do it. PM sent.

#344656 - 02/05/2011 22:17 Re: Linux/Perl Help [Re: wfaulk]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
From the one time I met Bitt in person and his posts here, seems like it would be a walk in the park for him. He's got many years of Unix/Linux server management experience and knows best practices (and he's just a reasonable drive up I-85 from you).

#344663 - 03/05/2011 10:22 Re: Linux/Perl Help [Re: JBjorgen]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Awesome- I knew you guys wouldn't fail me. Just the prospect of Bitt coming to work on this marks the first time I feel less than terrified at this situation. Asking a bunch of windows developers to build and maintain a single Linux box in a windows production environment is a recipe for disaster.

#344774 - 05/05/2011 22:44 Re: Linux/Perl Help [Re: JeffS]
TigerJimmy
old hand

Originally Posted By: JeffS
Awesome- I knew you guys wouldn't fail me. Just the prospect of Bitt coming to work on this marks the first time I feel less than terrified at this situation. Asking a bunch of windows developers to build and maintain a single Linux box in a windows production environment is a recipe for disaster.

Stop talking or you'll scare him off!

:-)

#344776 - 05/05/2011 22:53 Re: Linux/Perl Help [Re: TigerJimmy]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Originally Posted By: TigerJimmy

I don't think so -- if the words "a bunch of Perl scripts [...] a mess- not well developed or maintained" haven't scared him off, I don't know what will.

#344785 - 05/05/2011 23:42 Re: Linux/Perl Help [Re: tonyc]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Bah. Self-expression is a beautiful thing smile Learn to read code, noob...

I kid, I kid...

#344787 - 06/05/2011 01:11 Re: Linux/Perl Help [Re: tonyc]
TigerJimmy
old hand

Originally Posted By: tonyc

I don't think so -- if the words "a bunch of Perl scripts [...] a mess- not well developed or maintained" haven't scared him off, I don't know what will.

Yeah, upon reflection it could turn into full-time work!

#344794 - 06/05/2011 07:52 Re: Linux/Perl Help [Re: TigerJimmy]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: tonyc

Yeah, upon reflection it could turn into full-time work!

For everyone's sake, let's hope not! I do hope that sooner rather than later, all of these scripts will go away. They are the result of a higher up in the IT department (who ended up getting fired) saying "no problem, I'll just write a perl script to handle that" when the dev team gave time estimates the business partner didn't like (you know, because we wanted to do QA and other silly stuff).

After several hundred scripts written with no QA and patched repeatedly in the wild as issues were encountered, you can imagine the mess. Especially after that guy was let go. The business partner did wise up, especially after these script allowed some very important financial transactions to get sent twice (hundred of thousands of dollars) and seeing what our re-write of those scripts looked like. When the business users speak of "perl" with distaste, you know an impression has been made. The sad thing is, it isn't the tool (I don't really know, but I assume perl is a pretty good tool used appropriately), but they way it was used.

What person thinks going into a completely windows environment with only windows system admins and decides to write perl scripts hosted on Linux box, I don't know. I guess when all you have is a hammer . . .

#344806 - 06/05/2011 13:19 Re: Linux/Perl Help [Re: JeffS]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: JeffS
The sad thing is, it isn't the tool (I don't really know, but I assume perl is a pretty good tool used appropriately), but the way it was used.
Absolutely. I've done perl development since '94 (my first script was for controlling a 9-track tape reader, and printing a report for paper logging). It's a great language, but it's expressiveness can get people into trouble. It's DWIM-iness is a double-edged sword.

Quote:
What person thinks going into a completely windows environment with only windows system admins and decides to write perl scripts hosted on Linux box, I don't know. I guess when all you have is a hammer . . .

Sounds like you're the one holding the hammer. wink

FWIW, it's possible to run perl on Windows, too. If you're uncomfortable with the scripts being on a linux box, perhaps step one should be move them to a Windows machine, so that you can at least admin the machine.

#344807 - 06/05/2011 13:31 Re: Linux/Perl Help [Re: canuckInOR]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Hey! Stop undermining my contract!

#344811 - 06/05/2011 14:17 Re: Linux/Perl Help [Re: wfaulk]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: wfaulk
Hey! Stop undermining my contract!

Sorry. smile

#344816 - 06/05/2011 14:51 Re: Linux/Perl Help [Re: canuckInOR]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Sounds like you're the one holding the hammer. wink
True, but I don't hit non-nails with it- there's the difference laugh

FWIW, it's possible to run perl on Windows, too. If you're uncomfortable with the scripts being on a linux box, perhaps step one should be move them to a Windows machine, so that you can at least admin the machine.
This idea was tossed around, but my opinion is, the more changes we make to the environment, the more risk we introduce to a very risk adverse situation.

I'm fairly certain we will be able to rid ourselves of these scripts in the next two years, but for now they must go up and fast. Being that we're already having to bring a dozen or so web/windows apps/services written in C# and Delphi, I'm personally not ready to tackle unballing these scripts and placing them on a windows box, and I think that's the situation for the rest of the team as well. I'd much rather get someone who knows what they are doing get it up and running (your contract is safe, Bitt!)