Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#346110 - 30/06/2011 02:06 Re: Google+ [Re: Dignan]
tman
carpal tunnel

Looks like they turned off invites again.

#346115 - 30/06/2011 08:24 Re: Google+ [Re: tman]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Originally Posted By: tman

Darn. Do you think invites I've already sent will work?

#346116 - 30/06/2011 09:18 Re: Google+ [Re: Dignan]
tman
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Dignan
Darn. Do you think invites I've already sent will work?

Probably not.

Originally Posted By: http://techcrunch.com/2011/06/29/google-plus-invites/
“Google has decided they’re going to roll out the network very slowly. Or that was the plan.”

Actually, that remains the plan.

We launched Google+ in a Field Trial in order to test the product out and gather more feedback. As part of the Field Trial, we may open and close Google+ to new users at any time. We’re psyched so many people are interested in trying out a new approach to online sharing, but please consider:

- At any instant, a given invitation may or may not grant access.
- There are rate limits that are subject to change.
- PRO TIP: Bulk inviting will not be an effective strategy for getting your loved one access. I would recommend inviting those people you really want to share with…

#346118 - 30/06/2011 10:44 Re: Google+ [Re: tman]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK

I don't know how the official invite process works, but you can get people in just by adding them into a circle and sharing a post with them. It triggers an email and the red button gets you to a signup page that has let everybody in I've tried it with so far.

#346127 - 30/06/2011 12:54 Re: Google+ [Re: g_attrill]
tman
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: g_attrill
I don't know how the official invite process works, but you can get people in just by adding them into a circle and sharing a post with them. It triggers an email and the red button gets you to a signup page that has let everybody in I've tried it with so far.

Yeah. Thats how I thought it worked but it seems to have been disabled again.

#346128 - 30/06/2011 13:29 Re: Google+ [Re: DWallach]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks, Dan. I haven't had a chance to play with it much, but it does look pretty nice, if a bit rough around the edges.

My guess on the lack of Buzz integration is that they're going to silently kill Buzz off once Google+ is widely adopted -- not only because it contains most of Buzz's functionality, but also to avoid the negative mojo Buzz received when it launched.

The lack of Reader and Talk integration is more puzzling -- those seem like no-brainers.

Re: whether Google+ will succeed, I think it's important to remember that, as flawed as Myspace was, it still took Facebook a couple of years to become the top dog. Facebook has its own flaws, particularly in the area of data stewardship, so I think Google is wise to emphasize the ability to control what you share with whom. And, to riff off of the point that Dan's friend made about high school friends on Facebook versus college friends/colleagues on Twitter, perhaps Google+s weakness of not having anyone on it yet is actually a positive thing for some people who want to start fresh without defriending a bunch of people.

Folks who've already sucked their entire lives into Facebook probably aren't going to be leaving any time soon, but I think there are a lot of reluctant Facebook users out there who will give it a shot.

#346130 - 30/06/2011 14:00 Re: Google+ [Re: hybrid8]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: hybrid8
It can be 100x better and still not make a dent at all in Facebook. I don't think it's going to achieve critical mass. It's like jumping back to 2002 and trying to beat eBay. No one could have done it then. Google would be better off waiting around for a potential social-esque collapse. Not going to happen any time son, but imagine all the millions they'd save.

I really like that G+ has fixed many of the things I hated about Facebook. Example: arbitrarily long posts. I also like the Circles thing. Yes, Facebook also has a form of group ACLs, but G+ makes it a lot easier to add and remove groups when you're about to do something. I also like that you can follow somebody without them needing to follow you back (like Twitter, unlike Facebook). There are a lot of good ideas in G+.

Quote:
Do you mean to say that LinkedIn has changed up its site to more closely match Facebook or are you implying LinkedIn in itself has always been modeled after Facebook?

The former. LinkedIn now has text status updates and you can comment on your friends' posts. Just like Facebook. That was definitely not there in the beginning, but Facebook borrowed/improved the idea from Twitter, and LinkedIn followed suit.

#346132 - 30/06/2011 15:20 Re: Google+ [Re: DWallach]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Roma, Italy
Circles are just the way I would have done it. I really like the ideas around which G+ has been designed, compared to FB.
I hope it takes off.
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg

#346140 - 30/06/2011 16:15 Re: Google+ [Re: tonyc]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

A couple coworkers and I did some edge case testing of the circles/sharing features this morning. In most scenraios, it worked in ways we expected it to work, but there seem to be some idiosyncrasies in how G+ handles posts that weren't immediately obvious.

One of the more surprising things we learned is that visibility settings in individuals' profiles seem to control how messages propagate through those individuals. We set our test up so that I was in a circle with coworker A, who was then in a circle with coworker B (but I was not in a circle with coworker B.) My expectation was that, if B then posted a message to his "extended network", I would see it in the "incoming" bucket in my activity stream, but that didn't happen. It turns out that in order for that propagation to happen, A had to change his profile so that B's existence in his circles was visible. This behavior kind of makes sense (especially if A doesn't want his association with B to be known) but it certainly does limit the extendedness of the "extended network."

Another thing we noted was that if you post something to someone in a circle and then remove them from the circle, they can still see it -- it doesn't go back and erase history, unless you delete the actual post. That's probably the way most people would expect it to work, but it could have gone the other way I guess.

We also stumbled across the "disable reshare" option in the sharing UI, and I kind of like that. Doesn't prevent someone from cut/pasting, but in a circle of people you trust, it could be useful.

Anyway, there are a lot of moving parts -- hopefully someone will (or has) put together an easy-to-understand cheat sheet so people know who sees what in all of the various combinations of post types, profile visibility settings, and circle memberships.

#346141 - 30/06/2011 16:39 Re: Google+ [Re: tonyc]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

One thing that I dislike about G+, and virtually every other "stream" interface I've seen, is the newest-first chronological sorting. I understand that presenting posts oldest first on something like a blog is totally impractical, but with something like G+, I should be able to view unread posts (or posts with unread replies) and then see just those, ordered oldest to newest, so that I'm reading things in order. Then when I've read the posts (maybe I click on them to mark them as read or something) they disappear from the unread view.

Then there's the issue of posts popping back up to the top because someone replied to them -- that should be configurable, too.

#346146 - 30/06/2011 18:52 Re: Google+ [Re: tonyc]
tman
carpal tunnel

Judging by the number of friends who are suddenly signing up, they've reenable the invites again...

#346151 - 01/07/2011 01:19 Re: Google+ [Re: tman]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Judging by the number of friends who are suddenly signing up, they've reenable the invites again...

The ones I'd sent out last night before they were closed off were still valid. Perhaps you're just seeing the people who had invites but hadn't signed up yet?

It's growing on me. I've been surprised that Google, of all companies, has a product that's more attractive than Facebook. They're not known for their design, but I'm kind of appreciating the look. They seem to be coordinating it with a redesign of their other apps too, though GMail still looks the same for now... *edit* and there we go */edit*

Edited by Dignan (01/07/2011 01:22)

#346155 - 01/07/2011 13:21 Re: Google+ [Re: Dignan]
tman
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Dignan
The ones I'd sent out last night before they were closed off were still valid. Perhaps you're just seeing the people who had invites but hadn't signed up yet?

Yeah. Thats what I meant. The emails started working again as invites.

In unrelated news, Facebook seems to have changed slightly and now you get an even more annoying realtime feed box on the side! Nothing at all to do with Google+. Nope >.>

#346156 - 01/07/2011 13:45 Re: Google+ [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Quote:
Starting today, you’ll see the “Preview” and “Preview (Dense)” themes in the Themes tab in Gmail Settings. Why two themes? Our new interface will eventually expand dynamically to accommodate different screen sizes and user preferences, but until then you can pick the information density that you prefer.

Dense. Hah.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

#346157 - 01/07/2011 13:49 Re: Google+ [Re: wfaulk]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Originally Posted By: wfaulk
Dense. Hah.

Yeah. I actually felt motivated to send feedback about that.

#346158 - 01/07/2011 14:01 Re: Google+ [Re: Roger]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Hit me with an invite. john at bjorgen dot net

Thanks!

#346166 - 01/07/2011 20:58 Re: Google+ [Re: JBjorgen]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Do you have a Gmail address? In the not-entirely-documented world of G+invitations, that seems to matter.

#346167 - 01/07/2011 21:11 Re: Google+ [Re: DWallach]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
If anyone can send one to msaeger (at) gmail (dot) com

Thanks!

Edited by drakino (01/07/2011 21:28)
Edit Reason: removing harvestable e-mail address

Matt

#346168 - 01/07/2011 21:32 Re: Google+ [Re: tman]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
[quote=Dignan]In unrelated news, Facebook seems to have changed slightly and now you get an even more annoying realtime feed box on the side! Nothing at all to do with Google+. Nope >.>
I started getting that view a couple weeks ago. Damn annoying- they pulled the 'poke box' and events link for that garbage.
For some reason it's back to normal for me since yesterday.

#346169 - 01/07/2011 21:52 Re: Google+ [Re: Robotic]
tman
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Robotic
I started getting that view a couple weeks ago. Damn annoying- they pulled the 'poke box' and events link for that garbage.
For some reason it's back to normal for me since yesterday.

Weird. I guess its all part of the phased rollout of "features" on Facebook. I only started getting it today. Its also very recently that I had that "feature" for where it attempts to do bad facial recognition on photos and auto tag me. Thankfully you can disable it...

#346171 - 02/07/2011 02:04 Re: Google+ [Re: DWallach]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Originally Posted By: DWallach
Do you have a Gmail address? In the not-entirely-documented world of G+invitations, that seems to matter.

Yeah, that first invite failed. The address I listed forwards to my Gmail, but here's the real thing:

jbjorgen at gmail dot com

#346182 - 02/07/2011 12:12 Re: Google+ [Re: JBjorgen]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Whenever Google next turns invitations back on, I'll see what I can do.

#346188 - 04/07/2011 00:04 Re: Google+ [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: wfaulk
Quote:
Starting today, you’ll see the “Preview” and “Preview (Dense)” themes in the Themes tab in Gmail Settings. Why two themes? Our new interface will eventually expand dynamically to accommodate different screen sizes and user preferences, but until then you can pick the information density that you prefer.

Dense. Hah.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

I don't care what they think it means, either way I'm a little pissed off. The "Preview" theme balloons everything up to take up WAY more space that is possibly necessary. The "Preview (Dense)" theme squishes it back down a tiny bit more, but still takes up far more room than any current theme.

Why on earth do they think this is a good idea? I already go to great lengths to minimize any wasted space in GMail when I'm using my netbook. With these new themes, I won't be able to fit 7 lines on the screen. These themes are just a terrible way to present information. If they were providing more info and needed space to do that, I'd say fine, but all they're doing is pretty much doubling the vertical space that one email entry takes up in the inbox. Why?

The previews are handy, though. At least then extension writers can get a head start on fixing the stupid new design. I like the look, but I hate the layout.

#346192 - 04/07/2011 06:49 Re: Google+ [Re: DWallach]
julf
veteran

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Whenever you have spare invites, I would love to check it out. julfhelsingius at gmail dot com.

#346196 - 04/07/2011 17:05 Re: Google+ [Re: julf]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
Originally Posted By: julf
Whenever you have spare invites, I would love to check it out. julfhelsingius at gmail dot com.

Sent one earlier, btw.

#346203 - 05/07/2011 04:16 Re: Google+ [Re: Daria]
julf
veteran

Hmm - haven't received any invites, only a circle sharing message from Andy, but that did not trigger an invite. I wonder if it is because I live in a non-english-speaking (according to Google) country, where they aren't piloting yet...

#346204 - 05/07/2011 04:31 Re: Google+ [Re: julf]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
When you clicked through from the sharing message did that not take you to the login screen for Plus then ?

That was how I got "invited". But the whole experience seems to be very variable...

#346207 - 05/07/2011 11:33 Re: Google+ [Re: andy]
julf
veteran

No, I got a "to register your interest, leave your email address" page.

#346208 - 05/07/2011 11:34 Re: Google+ [Re: julf]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Were you logged into Gmail before opening the page ? (no idea whether that makes any difference or not)

#346209 - 05/07/2011 13:33 Re: Google+ [Re: julf]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
Originally Posted By: julf
No, I got a "to register your interest, leave your email address" page.

I got this the first time I went to it. I did leave my email.
About a day later I tried the link again and found I could register.
I can't remember the specifics of the process, though.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >