Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#35398 - 31/07/2001 12:50 DJ Empeg
LTJBukem
enthusiast

When I was a DJ, one of the biggest pains was carrying hundred of records and CD's with you, and thats before you even unloaded all the PA equipment.

The Empeg provides exactly what we need, access to your most played tunes at your fingertip.

And after all, everybody wants to be DJ so how about these for some ideas ?
- 2 Sets of Pre-outs, but they work independantly of each other, so one tune can play out of one pair and one out of another, at the same time. This gives the ability to mix the tunes.
- External Control for both sets of pre-outs and the ability to line up tracks ready to play for each set of pre-outs.
- External Screen Port to connect a monitor
- DJ Style Controls similar to a Pioneer CDJ Deck, allowing you to speed up and slow down the tracks, pause and cue points.

What do you reckon folks ?

LTJ

#35399 - 31/07/2001 13:34 Re: DJ Empeg [Re: LTJBukem]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The empeg-as-a-DJ-device has been discussed on this BBS before. You wouldn't need two sets of pre-outs to do it. All you need is to do the mixing in software, using the existing sets of outputs.

The only problem is that the empeg folks are busy working on projects that are more consumer-oriented, and are more related to the product's core target market. A DJ unit would be a pretty specialized device and wouldn't sell a large number of units.

I agree that the empeg car player is very very close to being the perfect DJ device already. It's the perfect piece of hardware and it's just ripe for doing what you want.

I can see two ways you can do what you want:

1) You could write the DJ software yourself. The specs to read the files and output to the audio hardware are known. It wouldn't be an easy undertaking, though. There are thousands of man-hours rolled into their current player software already, and the only way to do it yourself would be to re-invent the wheel.

2) I just thought of this: Just run two empegs into a mixer. Except for the speed control, that would totally fulfill your requirements, wouldn't it? And if you pre-processed the audio files to fall into a specific BPM range, then you wouldn't need the speed control (unless I'm misunderstanding how DJs do their jobs).

#35400 - 01/08/2001 01:42 Re: DJ Empeg [Re: tfabris]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
In reply to:

2) I just thought of this: Just run two empegs into a mixer. Except for the speed control, that would totally fulfill your requirements, wouldn't it? And if you pre-processed the audio files to fall into a specific BPM range, then you wouldn't need the speed control (unless I'm misunderstanding how DJs do their jobs).

..It would work for fade-out/fade-in type of dj'ing, but it wouldn't work for a realy dj'ing... you still have to fine-tune the BPM's, even if the songs have the same exact BPM.
-mark

...Still (barely, pending 1.1 release) proud to have owned an Empeg since 00287

#35401 - 01/08/2001 04:56 Re: DJ Empeg [Re: dionysus]
LTJBukem
enthusiast

Dionsys is right on this point. You have to be very exact with the BPM's.

The other point i was trying to get across is that all the music is in one place. If I used two Empegs then I would need to load two Empegs, which defeats the point a little ... not to mention the cost !

Thanks for your thoughts guys

LTJ

#35402 - 01/08/2001 18:46 Re: DJ Empeg [Re: LTJBukem]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
I've seen a professional mp3-player-type device which is meant for this though... but it's very expensive.. (10k or so..) it had controls semilar to a cd-mixer but mixed digital audio files instead...

-m

...Still (barely, pending 1.1 release) proud to have owned an Empeg since 00287

#35403 - 03/08/2001 07:38 Re: DJ Empeg [Re: dionysus]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
This hardware interfaces with this software. Granted it is not as compact or elegant as the empeg solution, but it should do the job well.

I work for a company that makes and sells DJ equipment among other things. I developed a prototype of what you want, only I was using Turtle Beach Audiotrons. Once I saw that the Numark product was coming out, I scrapped the project.

-Rob
-----
12GB MK2 Blue 090000736 (6166 in the queue)