Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#35474 - 01/08/2001 15:03 Doh! I dropped it!
geoff_bland
new poster

I dropped my empeg and now it just hangs and the boot screen (says empeg & shows fat Linux peguin). What do I do - I guess send it back to the guys at empeg. I'm going up to Ipswich on Saturday morning - I can take a detour via Cambridge if you guys are still there - does that make sense?

#35475 - 01/08/2001 15:05 Re: Doh! I dropped it! [Re: geoff_bland]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
It is possible that it's just a loose disk drive cable. If the unit is still under warranty, though, the stop-by-cambridge thing is probably your best bet if you don't want to open it and invalidate the warranty.

In the meantime, find the entry in the FAQ section of this BBS about "Hyperterminal" and see if a boot log gives you any clues.

#35476 - 01/08/2001 17:07 Re: Doh! I dropped it! [Re: geoff_bland]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
One of the luxuries of no longer being a small start up is that we don't work Saturdays any more (well, not all the time anyway).

Contact support - if it's as simple as a cable they can probably help you there and then, otherwise they'll find a convenient way to get your unit brought in.

Rob

#35477 - 01/08/2001 18:13 Re: Doh! I dropped it! [Re: tfabris]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
It is possible that it's just a loose disk drive cable.

In my experience, that "possible" is about 80% likely. It's an easy fix, but get permission and instructions from Rio Support before cracking the case open to do it, so you don't void your warranty.

A few pointers once you have the case open... you should secure the cables in place with a bit of hot glue. And, assuming you have an IBM TravelStar drive, the hard-drive end of the cable can be incorrectly connected to the drive, offset one pin to the left. This is actually how it looks like it should be connected, but it really goes just as close as possible to the four jumper pins (which are separated by a small gap from the rest of the pins), so close that I don't see how a jumper could even be placed there.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#35478 - 02/08/2001 02:50 Re: Doh! I dropped it! [Re: tanstaafl.]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
I should point out that this fix has been applied at the factory since about halfway through the empeg Mk.2 manufacturing run. All Rio units should have been glued.

Rob