Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#35738 - 05/08/2001 03:32 Listening behavior
tigloo

Loc: Hamburg, Germany
Hi all,

another suggestion: as you're currently adding fields to the FIDs, what about a "skipped" field?

This field would be incremented everytime the user presses "next" after the song started playing. This way, you could determine which songs you start to hate the most (and easily remove them).

One could go overkill and add a small database that records which songs have been played, for how long, how often etc etc to analyze your favorites.

However, that would require write access to a partition and some extra code to ensure that it would remain in good shape (didn't somebody mention ReiserFS already?)

Till

#35739 - 05/08/2001 03:50 Re: Listening behavior [Re: tigloo]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I've herd hints that 2.0 will be keeping track of things like this, and having a way that we can see it.

(Aparently 1.0 does keep track of songs played and such, but nothing is done with it).

This data is kept on a "scratch" partition the empeg has. It's safe to write to due to it's nature and code that uses it inside the player executable.

#35740 - 05/08/2001 04:33 Re: Listening behavior [Re: drakino]
tigloo

Oh, cool - I didn't know there was a scratch partition. Now that's an interesting topic to look at... Wonder how much use 2.0 will make use of information that could be generated on the player.

Till

#35741 - 05/08/2001 09:52 Re: Listening behavior [Re: drakino]
andygjones
journeyman

yea if you look at the rio car website it mentions this:

"The whole time you use it, your car player will make notes about your listening preferences allowing you to easily avoid (and maybe even remove) those tracks that you usually skip past, or request some tracks that you haven't heard in a while. " so must be in a future release.

#35742 - 07/08/2001 03:17 Re: Listening behavior [Re: andygjones]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
I forget exactly where but Hugo mentions how it works. It is basically an unformatted part of the drive. This way they can write stuff to it even at the point of power loss and all you lose is the playlist and other small temporary things without corrupting the file table.
Ingenious little boys are'nt they?

Murray 06000047
I don't think, therefore I am not.

#35743 - 07/08/2001 04:45 Re: Listening behavior [Re: andygjones]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
This information is recorded in v1.0, but not very well. We've overhauled this stuff in v2.0 -- it records:

- whether the track is marked for attention.
- number of times played
- when it was last played
- number of times skipped

You can display/search by these fields in emplode v2.0, and some of them are suitable for custom shuffles (hopefully we'll support all of them by the time we ship).

Roger - not necessarily speaking for empeg

#35744 - 07/08/2001 12:54 Re: Listening behavior [Re: Roger]
tigloo

Would it be possible to differentiate the skipping a little bit? I.e., a skip field for within the first 10 seconds of a song, one within the last 10 seconds and one for the rest of the song?

I often skip songs when they have a boring ending or if I'm fed up with the last part ... Songs I skip very often within the first 10 seconds I usually start to hate, songs that I skip somewhere in the middle usually just don't fit the mood (but I still like them).

Using that, you could have a "hate song", "dislike song" (or "general skipping") and "noise" index, with the noise being discarded of course.

Till

#35745 - 07/08/2001 14:32 Re: Listening behavior [Re: tigloo]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Would it be possible to differentiate the skipping a little bit? I.e., a skip field for within the first 10 seconds of a song,

That question was addressed more than two years ago here. Aren't you impressed that I remembered it?

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#35746 - 07/08/2001 17:05 Re: Listening behavior [Re: tanstaafl.]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
If you skip a song after N seconds (where, currently N=5, IIRC), it doesn't count as skipped.

I think that it immediately chalks it up as played after the same time, too.

Roger - not necessarily speaking for empeg