Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#358184 - 08/04/2013 20:08 Which whole-home audio system should I get?
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I've asked for others before, but this time I'm asking for myself. Here's the rundown of what I'm looking for in a whole-home audio system:
  • MUST support iPhone AND Android wirelessly
  • Not too expensive
  • Support for 3rd-party podcasting apps
  • Expandable later on without too much trouble

I didn't think this was such a tough list of things to ask for, but I can't seem to figure out a system that meets all of this. Lets start at the top:

iPhone/Android: basically, I can't have a system that ONLY uses Airplay, and bluetooth is okay, but it limits the range of the phone and most systems only allow one bluetooth connection at a time.

Cost and podcasts: Sonos looks great, but it's EXPENSIVE! Plus, they don't have a great way to play podcasts, and my wife and I would want to play our own podcasts using our favorite 3rd-party apps (Pocket Casts for her and Doggcatcher for me). This doesn't seem to be possible with the Sonos. Most of these types of systems require that you use their apps, which is understandable, but I would have thought there would be a workaround...

Expandable: I'd prefer to not have to run wires through the walls/ceilings for this.

So far, the most likely product candidate is the Pure Jongo S3 system. Essentially, it's just a cheaper Sonos (probably with sound quality to match the price difference, but that's okay). However, it costs a little more than a third of a Sonos PLAY:3 ($229 for the Pure S3), and unlike the PLAY:3 it has bluetooth and AUX built in. For AUX in on Sonos, I'd have to move up to the PLAY:5 which is $399, almost twice as much.

With the S3, I figure I could at least use bluetooth with my phone (not ideal), and I could get an Airport Express for my wife so she can Airplay to the system. Each of these could be used as selectable inputs for the Pure system and would get me the rest of what I'd like.

The main problem: the Pure system isn't available yet. I have no idea what's taking them so long, but I first heard about them in the beginning of January, and their products have been out of stock at Amazon ever since.

So, I'm asking if you guys have any other ideas, or if this one sounds like an okay one.

Edited by Dignan (08/04/2013 20:09)

#358187 - 08/04/2013 21:21 Re: Which whole-home audio system should I get? [Re: Dignan]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Keep in mind the third party app support is not needed on the iPhone. AirPlay is a system level function, and will redirect all audio playing apps to the destination. If the app doesn't offer it's own AirPlay button, just double tap the home button, and slide left to right twice.

#358188 - 09/04/2013 01:30 Re: Which whole-home audio system should I get? [Re: drakino]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Originally Posted By: drakino
Keep in mind the third party app support is not needed on the iPhone. AirPlay is a system level function, and will redirect all audio playing apps to the destination. If the app doesn't offer it's own AirPlay button, just double tap the home button, and slide left to right twice.

I understand. That requirement was put in there in anticipation of "well, the Sonos does everything you want to do, so what are you asking here for?" smile And also to cover the Android side of things.

If it weren't for the podcast issue, I could just go with a Sonos and be done with it. But at least half of the audio my wife and I listen to are podcasts. Because Sonos seems to be terrible with podcasts (from everything I've read), it means I'm going to have to make some sort of workaround.

That aside, I needed to add that requirement to also cover Android. Since Airplay is Apple-only, I need something that covers both platforms. It's because I need to go cross-platform that I have to do this weird workaround to begin with. Otherwise I could just put an Airport Express and a pair of computer speakers wherever I wanted music, and just Airplay everywhere. But my and my Android OS have to mess everything up smile

#358195 - 09/04/2013 07:10 Re: Which whole-home audio system should I get? [Re: Dignan]
julf
veteran

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Why not get some second-hand squeezeboxes off ebay? Sort of like the empeg - discontinues, but still the best product there is.

#358197 - 09/04/2013 10:53 Re: Which whole-home audio system should I get? [Re: julf]
K447
old hand

Loc: near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: julf
Why not get some second-hand squeezeboxes off ebay? Sort of like the empeg - discontinues, but still the best product there is.
I have a bunch of Squeezebox 3 and Duet which despite their age still provide a generally pleasant music streaming experience around the house.

I do not listen to podcasts though them (just not my thing), but the iOS third party iPeng app for controlling the Squeezeboxes over WiFi is quite good. I rarely take the plastic Squeezebox remote out of the drawer.