Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#358672 - 19/05/2013 05:22 Glitchy rotary encoder? Possible alternative to resoldering.
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I bought some electronics contact cleaner at Digi-Key (see attached picture) and, with the enpeg unplugged, tried spraying it into the encoder, via the gap between the shaft and the neck/collar. I dismantled the faceplate first, to make it easier to reach, and to prevent the spray from staining the lens or the vfd.

Immediately after spraying it, I rotated the encoder several times to make sure it was spread around in there. The stuff evaporates quickly. I let it dry for a few minutes and plugged the player in.

Result? Perfect encoder operation. Before, I was at the point where it was nearly unusable.

There is one variable unaccounted for so far. I haven't plugged the player back into the dash and tried it there yet. Since I didn't double check that the encoder was still glitchy when the player was on AC power before spraying, I'm not 100 percent sure that the spray changed anything. For all I know, plugging it into AC power could have been the thing that made the encoder stop being glitchy. I'll test it out tomorrow in the car and see how it does, and report back.

Either way, I have been able to go from bad encoder to good encoder without breaking out the soldering iron.

Attachments
image.jpg (397 downloads)

#358676 - 19/05/2013 18:51 Re: Glitchy rotary encoder? Possible alternative to resoldering. [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Yep. Working fine in the car, too.

I'll update the FAQ at some point soon.

#358719 - 21/05/2013 22:24 Re: Glitchy rotary encoder? Possible alternative to resoldering. [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Still working fine.

Don't know how long it will last, but looking good so far.

I'm surprised no replies! I would think those who have been through (or are dreading going through) the nerve-wracking process of resoldering a rotary encoder would be thrilled to hear about this!

#358723 - 22/05/2013 01:11 Re: Glitchy rotary encoder? Possible alternative to resoldering. [Re: tfabris]
Happy Birthday larry818
old hand

Loc: Fullerton, Calif.
I'm surprised that worked, I just assumed that these were falling apart internally.

Most (maybe all) of the cleaners the electronics stores carry will "clean" away all the lubricant as well. The airplane mechanics use this stuff called ACF50 that is the best cleaner I've ever used, and lubricates and coats again future corrosion.

The same company (Lear Chemical) also make a similar stuff called "Corrosion Block" that I use on the pots and encoders on my new products to protect them from chlorine gas. It's about the same stuff, but leaves a thicker coating.

#358725 - 22/05/2013 01:45 Re: Glitchy rotary encoder? Possible alternative to resoldering. [Re: larry818]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
The "cleaners" I have/use here are combo cleaner/lube, and have always worked well for me on potentiometers and the like.

Makes sense that they'd also be good for the rotary encoders.

#358743 - 22/05/2013 17:21 Re: Glitchy rotary encoder? Possible alternative to resoldering. [Re: mlord]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

FAQ Entry has been updated!