Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#359021 - 23/06/2013 11:41 Last great hard drive option
Garry
new poster

Wow I haven't sold my car in 13 years because of my Empeg, it just works, and stayed away so long seems my account here got deleted,

May I ask those whom have kept up with developments
How did it all pan out?
If I replace my 12GB and 20 GB drives and put in twin Hard Drives, 64/128/256 or SSD's I understand there is some performance issues with larger drives, what is the most capacity with least troubles?

What is a good upgrade choice now in the future that everything is cheaper

Thanks, Garry Hill, Alice Springs. Australia

#359030 - 24/06/2013 16:02 Re: Last great hard drive option [Re: Garry]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The biggest issue people have been running into now is database size. We're now at the point where the amount of space for storing MP3s on a laptop hard disk has outstripped the limitations of the player's song database. You can now build a player with room to store more songs than the player can successfully index. This problem is mentioned in the drive upgrade guide, but not much detail is given. Basically, if you have more than 10,000 songs in your MP3 collection, you might want to only load a subset of those songs onto a player. There are some workarounds, discussed in a thread linked off of that drive upgrade guide.

SSDs work if you can find an adapter that works and fits inside the player.

#360488 - 10/12/2013 06:50 Re: Last great hard drive option [Re: tfabris]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Originally Posted By: tfabris
SSDs work if you can find an adapter that works and fits inside the player.

Jeez, people. Are you deaf? SSDs work if you just get a PATA one. They are still available.