Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#361019 - 17/02/2014 17:40 Removing company logo
stepking2
new poster

Loc: Norway
Hey, I am trying to remove the company logo on my Empeg MK2, and restore it to the stock logo, but it seems like it is impossible.
In the FAQ, it says you can use jEmplode to do it, but I don't get it to work. When connecting my Empeg to the home network, and click it in jEmplode, when trying to clear the animation, the only thing it does is popping up a dialog saying "Use HiJack version later than X, make sure your Empeg is connected via Ethernet and make sure you have clicked Use HiJack when possible, under Tools-Options". I have done all this, but it's still the same, I've also tried connecting the Empeg directly to the computer, but with the same result. Is there anyone who has the problem as I am? Is there a possibility to reset the whole player? I don't care about the contents on it, as long as the logo dissapears. I am running Windows 7, 32-bit, I've also tried the same thing on a Windows XP 32-bit machine. Do you guys have any suggestion on how to fix this?

I run Empeg version 3 alpha11 and Hijack version 516

Edited by stepking2 (17/02/2014 17:55)

#361032 - 18/02/2014 15:28 Re: Removing company logo [Re: stepking2]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Does Jemplode at least successfully connect to the player and download its database of existing songs and display them on the screen? That's the basic level of connection there, and if you've got that, then it means we can at least start working on this. But if you're not getting the basic level of connection over Ethernet, then you need to solve that problem first.

Possible issues you might be running into:

Basic ethernet connection troubleshooting

Windows firewall might be in the way

Note: I think Jemplode uses FTP to send logos to the player. So if there are problems with FTP, that might be it. For instance, maybe the player has had an FTP password set in its hijack kernel and you're having trouble getting past that. Also, FTP might be blocked by a firewall too, and you might need to open up TCP port 21. Can you connect to the player with a web browser or an FTP client?

If you happen to have an actual RS-232 serial port on the computer, and a correct type of null-modem cable, you can edit the boot logo via the serial port using my LogoEdit utility. Also, you can simply try LogoEdit in place of Jemplode and see if it does any better for you:

Download LogoEdit 1.7

I haven't run LogoEdit in a long time, I don't know how well it performs on Win7. But worth a try.

There's also the issue with animated logos. Before the main company logo appears and sits on the screen, it plays a short animation, which is a separate mod from the logo itself. That's another ball of wax, and you're back to Jemplode for that one, I'm afraid. I never got around to updating LogoEdit so that it could edit the animations.

Instructions for editing or clearing the animated logos with Jemplode

#361034 - 18/02/2014 15:41 Re: Removing company logo [Re: stepking2]
stepking2
new poster

Thanks for replying so quickly smile I have a basic connection. I can see and edit the player database in Emplode/jEmplode, on the whole network, so thats not a problem. But changing the company animated logo, I am not able to do. I do have a computer with a serial port, both XP and 7, but do you know what tool can I use to change/clear it, as jEmplode is not working properly?

You were talking about the FTP password. Is the password there from a previous version also? Because the player had HiJack when I got it, and then I flashed the newest version of player software and kernel. Also, I can't open the web-server either. I have also tried connecting the computer and player on a 10/100 switch, instead of the 10/100/1000 I use regularly.

#361035 - 18/02/2014 16:40 Re: Removing company logo [Re: stepking2]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
You were talking about the FTP password. Is the password there from a previous version also?

I don't know. The passwords are turned off by default, but, the previous owner of the player ("thatguy", from the looks of the For Sale forum here on the BBS, am I right?) might have set one. You can find out by editing the config file. I think Jemplode lets you do that. And since Jemplode is at least working with the player database for you, it's worth a try there.

Originally Posted By: stepking2
I do have a computer with a serial port, both XP and 7, but do you know what tool can I use to change/clear it, as jEmplode is not working properly?

The LogoEdit program I linked above, in my previous post. Try that. Try it first in FTP mode, and if that doesn't work, try it with the serial port.

#361036 - 18/02/2014 17:53 Re: Removing company logo [Re: stepking2]
stepking2
new poster

I tried with the serial port, and was only able to push a logo after the company logo thats there from original. I have the .raw files for the empeg animation.

When I tried with WinSCP, there was a Connection refused message. When using the built in, in Ubuntu, I got a Can't open xxx.xxx.x.xx message.

Edited by stepking2 (18/02/2014 18:28)

#361037 - 18/02/2014 18:55 Re: Removing company logo [Re: stepking2]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Ah, good, that's useful information. It means the FTP server is either not running on that player, has crashed, or is somehow blocked. Did you look at the config.ini file as I suggested before?

OH HEY, here's something. Is the player, by any chance, in DC/CAR mode right now? By default, the HTTP/FTP servers do not run unless the player is in AC/HOME mode. Just noticed that when looking at the config file settings on the page linked above.

Edit: (Working on updating the FAQ entries about logo editing and FTP access now, to include that little tidbit about AC/DC settings.)

#361038 - 18/02/2014 19:01 Re: Removing company logo [Re: stepking2]
stepking2
new poster

Actually, it is in forced DC/CAR mode. Is there any way to change this?

EDIT: Got it working now! Thank you very much!

Edited by stepking2 (18/02/2014 19:10)

#361039 - 18/02/2014 19:11 Re: Removing company logo [Re: stepking2]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Yes, that's the source of your problem. The Hijack menu itself controls that, go into the hijack menu and change it.

Hey guess what, while you're there, there's also an option to restore the bootup animation back to the factory defaults. No Jemplode needed. Just noticed that bit myself when editing my own frickin' FAQ on the topic.. smile

#361040 - 18/02/2014 19:16 Re: Removing company logo [Re: stepking2]
stepking2
new poster

As far as I have tested, that option only shows the different animations. I was not able to change it from that menu smile

#361041 - 18/02/2014 19:18 Re: Removing company logo [Re: stepking2]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Really?

Mark, was that FAQ entry in error?

Quote:
If, after installing Hijack, a custom boot animation is playing and you simply want to change your player back to the factory bootup animation, use the menu option, available in the latest versions of Hijack, the menu option is called "Boot Graphics". There is also a "Clear Animation" option in jEmplode.

#361043 - 18/02/2014 20:02 Re: Removing company logo [Re: stepking2]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Huh.. Doesn't look to me like Hijack saves the animation/logo selection value anywhere (flash), so the current version will only serve to let one browse the available animations/logos without changing the boot-up defaults.

#361044 - 18/02/2014 21:11 Re: Removing company logo [Re: mlord]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Thanks! I will correct the faulty FAQ.