Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#363864 - 20/04/2015 17:05 Google Nexus 6 vs OnePlus One ?
Taym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Roma, Italy
Guys, which one would you recommend, considering that

1. Nexus 6 largest screen would be beneficial to me
2. I don't care about camera performance

?

Thank you!
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg

#363867 - 20/04/2015 18:06 Re: Google Nexus 6 vs OnePlus One ? [Re: Taym]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I think either phone is going to have a large screen and a nice camera (the camera on the N6 is great).

I fully admit an extreme bias toward Nexus devices, but the OnePlus is highly regarded.

The only thing I dislike about the N6 is the size. It really is a behemoth. The phone/screen is larger than the Galaxy Note or the iPhone 6 Plus, and while it's gorgeous the battery takes a hit due to the high resolution. I can get through a day but just barely, and most days I end up charging it at some point (but it comes with a super charger so that helps).

The main difference between the phones is going to be Cyanogen. Several of the folks here really like it, but I'm not a fan. I've loaded it onto at least three phones and just didn't feel like it was stable, but I'd imagine a phone designed for it would be a little better in that department, and my impressions were made a few years ago so they've probably improved things a bit.

#363869 - 20/04/2015 18:37 Re: Google Nexus 6 vs OnePlus One ? [Re: Taym]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Thank you Matt!

I've been using a Nokia 1520 as my main work phone, and I love its screen (also bigger than an N4). That is actually a pro of the N6 to me.

I guess my question is about the Cyanogen user experience, which I don't know about, versus the N6 one, which I am familiar with.

Also, as a curiosity, do you need a Google account to start operating the One Plus One? I wonder how independent from Google the One Plus One is. Not for any reason other than curiosity as to what they are doing.

#363870 - 20/04/2015 19:01 Re: Google Nexus 6 vs OnePlus One ? [Re: Taym]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Cyanogen is superb at present (pre-Microsoft), and looks/works just like stock Google Android on the surface. I haven't installed the Android 5.02 version (CM12) yet, but the original/updated CM11 is really good. Lots of useful features, and essential ones like Privacy Guard that don't come with stock Google Android.

The OnePlus One, out of the box, is missing a couple of key LTE bands that apparently are common in GB / EU. I forget which ones, but the Nexus probably has them. There are hacks to enable them on the OnePlus, but I have no experience there.

EDIT: Google account not required, but pretty much essential to have if you want to use the Google Play App Store.

Cheers

Edited by mlord (20/04/2015 19:03)

#363872 - 20/04/2015 20:43 Re: Google Nexus 6 vs OnePlus One ? [Re: Taym]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Mark, thanks.

Switching to an Android device as my main work phone implies using possibly ALL the Microsoft services and software (Exchange/ActiveSync, Office, OneDrive). I'll want to use them as primary services over others.
Microsoft's interest towards the platform is actually one of the reasons for me to consider it instead of the N6. As MS invest more into the Android platform, One Plus may become their preferred one, which I'd be happy about.

As to Google account, of course I planned to use mine, but I actually like it is confined to using Google products and services (also essential to me) and not to just start the phone and start using it. Not a big deal, but I dislike that with Apple, Microsoft, and Google devices. Nice to see this approach here. It just makes more sense to me.

Given the smaller price, I am seriously thinking to go with One Plus. If only screen was bigger and resolution higher.

#363902 - 24/04/2015 01:07 Re: Google Nexus 6 vs OnePlus One ? [Re: Taym]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

One curious feature unique to the N6 is its support for the new Google Fi. In a nutshell, it's one phone number that will ring through to you over T-Mobile, Sprint, and/or your local WiFi, with a lot of back-end smarts about doing transparent handoff and relatively cheap billing.

It's still cheaper, for me, to stick with my T-Mobile family plan (4 for $100, with 2.5GB/mo/phone), happily supporting four users, but otherwise the Google plan is very attractive.

Personally, I'm sticking with my Nexus 5. If it blew up tomorrow, I'm not sure what I'd get. I'm hoping there's something new this summer, hopefully in the 5" class, Nexus-branded, cheaper, and with a USB-C plug. That will get me to switch.