Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#365300 - 14/11/2015 00:28 Ah, so that is how apple will be handling the Lightning->USB3 change.
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA

#365301 - 14/11/2015 00:51 Re: Ah, so that is how apple will be handling the Lightning->USB3 change. [Re: tfabris]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Okay, so they'll release a "Lightning 2" cable, which will look almost exactly the same as the original Lightning cable? If only there was a standard connector that would have satisfied their needs...

#365306 - 14/11/2015 10:08 Re: Ah, so that is how apple will be handling the Lightning->USB3 change. [Re: tfabris]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
Finally! I'm not in the market for an iPad Pro, but I do in intend to buy a new phone next year. Hopefully they'll implement it in the upcoming iPhone 7 as well.

#365307 - 14/11/2015 10:13 Re: Ah, so that is how apple will be handling the Lightning->USB3 change. [Re: DWallach]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Which didn't exist when then created the Lightning connector. And if they just moved to USB-C now the Internet would erupt with untold rage.

#365308 - 14/11/2015 17:08 Re: Ah, so that is how apple will be handling the Lightning->USB3 change. [Re: andy]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
And if they just moved to USB-C now the Internet would erupt with untold rage.

I still don't think that's true. Even if it is, we know that people will get over it eventually, and the final result will be better for everybody.

#365310 - 14/11/2015 17:18 Re: Ah, so that is how apple will be handling the Lightning->USB3 change. [Re: Dignan]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Dignan
and the final result will be better for everybody.

If Apple switches the iPads over to USB C (still highly unlikely in my mind for anytime in 2015-2017), I hope Apple keeps the MFi program around so I know what charger cables will work.

#365311 - 14/11/2015 23:04 Re: Ah, so that is how apple will be handling the Lightning->USB3 change. [Re: Dignan]
andy
carpal tunnel

Did you not spot the rage last time when they changed connector after 14 years of using the same one (in the same time that most manufacturers moved through a couple of proprietary connects and at least three different USB ones).

#365312 - 15/11/2015 04:12 Re: Ah, so that is how apple will be handling the Lightning->USB3 change. [Re: andy]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Originally Posted By: andy
Did you not spot the rage last time when they changed connector after 14 years of using the same one (in the same time that most manufacturers moved through a couple of proprietary connects and at least three different USB ones).

I did see that, and I probably gave them a hard time. My point is that people got over it, and did so surprisingly quickly considering everything you just said. And things are better now, aren't they?

But really, I've finally gotten myself to the point where it doesn't bother me. In the end it doesn't affect me. The rest of the market will settle around USB C so I can plug my Android phone into my Dell laptop. The only place it'll annoy me is our kitchen counter, where we have to keep two chargers instead of one. Again, not the end of the world.

#365441 - 05/12/2015 01:53 Re: Ah, so that is how apple will be handling the Lightning->USB3 change. [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

People are noticing the Lightning socket on the iPad Pro has pins on the top and bottom. All past Lightning sockets only have pins on one side. That would provide the needed amount of connections to support USB 3 while remaining backwards compatible with USB 2.

iFixit continues to miss these details in their teardowns. They also missed how the WiFi antenna functions on the Macbook.

#365442 - 06/12/2015 07:16 Re: Ah, so that is how apple will be handling the Lightning->USB3 change. [Re: drakino]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

This is fascinating news, but I'm making my brain hurt trying to figure out how they're going to use 8 pins for differing purposes on a reversible connector.

#365443 - 06/12/2015 08:03 Re: Ah, so that is how apple will be handling the Lightning->USB3 change. [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Remember there is a chip inside every Lightning plug. I imagine that chip will be responsible for negotiating with the device to decide what pins to run each signal over as appropriate, part of which will change based on the orientation of the plug.

Did you ever see how the Lightning to VGA or HDMI adaptors work? They have a full SoC in them, and the device it's plugged into sends a slimed down kernel to that SoC to boot it quickly and launches an AirPlay daemon.

As an aside about the likely lifespan of Lightning for the iPhone. Rumors are currently pointing towards the iPhone 7 ditching the 3.5mm headphone jack. Headphones would plug in via Lightning instead, and such headphones have already been out for a while. Not sure I agree with the rumors, but also wouldn't put it past Apple to do this. The 3.5mm jack is already somewhat awkwardly added into the current iPod Touch and iPod Nano.

Edited by drakino (10/12/2015 17:27)
Edit Reason: Added link to lightning chip analysis

#365444 - 06/12/2015 09:52 Re: Ah, so that is how apple will be handling the Lightning->USB3 change. [Re: drakino]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Rumors are currently pointing towards the iPhone 7 ditching the 3.5mm headphone jack.

Wow. That's going to piss of a lot of people if it comes true. Some people have favorite headphones.

#365445 - 06/12/2015 14:20 Re: Ah, so that is how apple will be handling the Lightning->USB3 change. [Re: drakino]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Originally Posted By: drakino
Rumors are currently pointing towards the iPhone 7 ditching the 3.5mm headphone jack.
A bit of a thread hijack here... sorry.

The purported reason for ditching the 3.5mm jack is so that Apple can make the iPhone even slimmer than it is now. Okay... WHY??

I am not a smartphone (or really, even any genre of cell phone) user, but if I were, I would happily pay extra to have a cell phone twice as thick as an iPhone IF that extra volume were devoted exclusively to extra battery. Wouldn't tripling (or more) the battery life be worth giving up the stylistic status of a skinny phone? Or is there some other benefit I don't understand?

tanstaafl.

#365446 - 06/12/2015 15:25 Re: Ah, so that is how apple will be handling the Lightning->USB3 change. [Re: tfabris]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
I suspect the thinking is:
  • The battery has to have sufficient capacity to last an entire 12-hour workday.
  • Users always plug the phone in at home each evening.
  • Making the battery/phone any larger than necessary for the above just adds bulk and weight, making it less convenient to tuck into a clutch-purse or pocket.

Or something like that. But mostly, I suspect Apple just wants to be able to make more moollah by forcing earbud makers to buy/license yet another proprietary interface.

Cheers

#365447 - 06/12/2015 16:11 Re: Ah, so that is how apple will be handling the Lightning->USB3 change. [Re: tfabris]
larry818
old hand

Loc: Fullerton, Calif.
I'm sure Apple knows best. Like when they moved the earphone jack to the bottom, but not make the music app rotate, so one gets to enjoy everything upside down when on exercise machines... I'm sure this is best somehow...

#365449 - 06/12/2015 18:18 Re: Ah, so that is how apple will be handling the Lightning->USB3 change. [Re: tanstaafl.]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
I am not a smartphone (or really, even any genre of cell phone) user, but if I were, I would happily pay extra to have a cell phone twice as thick as an iPhone IF that extra volume were devoted exclusively to extra battery.

You can do so today, as third parties sell cases for the phone with a battery in them.

I made use of one during my motorcycle trip. On the bike, the phone was plugged into power and sat in a form fitting mount. When I'd spend a long time in a city, I'd put the phone into the Mophie case. It provided the extra battery power needed to use GPS along with the camera most of the day. Both these functions can be big power drains on a phone. When I didn't need the extra power, the phone could go back to it's slimmer and lighter profile in my pocket.

#365450 - 06/12/2015 18:23 Re: Ah, so that is how apple will be handling the Lightning->USB3 change. [Re: mlord]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: mlord
I suspect Apple just wants to be able to make more moollah by forcing earbud makers to buy/license yet another proprietary interface.

Lightning to 3.5mm adaptors would likely become more common. 3rd party ones already exist, with that model also offering a headphone amp and remote control options. Apple may bundle an adaptor in the box considering how many of their own Beats headphones use 3.5mm plugs.

#365451 - 06/12/2015 18:24 Re: Ah, so that is how apple will be handling the Lightning->USB3 change. [Re: larry818]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: larry818
Like when they moved the earphone jack to the bottom

One of the theories about this was related to water resistance. Many people use their phones while waking. If the headphone jack is on the top and not in use, it's a gaping hole that could let in raindrops. I remember Apple Geniuses were trained to look for the moisture sensor in the headphone jacks on the older iPhones as part of any troubleshooting.

On the bottom, it's somewhat shielded. I was looking up waterproof 3.5mm jacks earlier, and the raw parts for this were about 9-10mm in height when mounted to a PCB. The iPod touch is at 6.1mm and the iPhone 6 at 7mm, not really leaving room for one of these waterproof designs for the jack.

The iPhone 6 and 6s show hints that Apple is working to improve the water resistance of the product. Improvements between the 6 and 6s in particular were examined by iFixit on a second teardown.

#365452 - 06/12/2015 18:33 Re: Ah, so that is how apple will be handling the Lightning->USB3 change. [Re: tfabris]
larry818
old hand

I had assumed it was moved to the bottom because the phone always ends up in my pocket upside-down. It is more convenient in that regard.

#365455 - 07/12/2015 11:41 Re: Ah, so that is how apple will be handling the Lightning->USB3 change. [Re: drakino]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Lightning to 3.5mm adaptors would likely become more common.
Wouldn't that preclude charging while using the headphones? That seems like a bad idea (but, I'm probably not the target audience).

#365456 - 07/12/2015 12:11 Re: Ah, so that is how apple will be handling the Lightning->USB3 change. [Re: Tim]
andy
carpal tunnel

Charging is one of the many issues that it would cause. Maybe the iPhone 7 will have so-called wireless charging too ?

We'd also need a completely different Lightning plug to come even close to how well a right angle 3.5mm one can work when jammed into a pocket.

https://twitter.com/andynormancx/status/671050131526066176

#365457 - 07/12/2015 12:12 Re: Ah, so that is how apple will be handling the Lightning->USB3 change. [Re: larry818]
andy
carpal tunnel

I had assumed it was moved to the bottom because the phone always ends up in my pocket upside-down. It is more convenient in that regard.

On the bottom works far better for me, for this reason.

#365464 - 07/12/2015 19:25 Re: Ah, so that is how apple will be handling the Lightning->USB3 change. [Re: tfabris]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: tfabris
Quote:

Wow. That's going to piss of a lot of people if it comes true. Some people have favorite headphones.

Indeed. It's pissed me off to such a degree that I've just ordered my first Android phone. A One Plus X. I'm curious to learn how good it works.

As a general, I like Apple. But there are some things I really hate about them, and I'm not even talking about the price. The thing I hate the most is how they've started crippling their hardware lately, just to sell more add-on cables. Like the new Macbook that's only got ONE USB-C connector. Whoever came up with that one and thought it was a good idea? And now this again with the headphone jack? Ugh! They can ask a price premium for all I care, but I draw the line where they charge more for you to get less in the end.

#365467 - 07/12/2015 20:15 Re: Ah, so that is how apple will be handling the Lightning->USB3 change. [Re: BartDG]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Enough hatred to lead to a platform switch over a rumor about a 3.5mm headphone jack? Isn't that a little extreme?

Edited by drakino (07/12/2015 20:23)

#365468 - 07/12/2015 20:44 Re: Ah, so that is how apple will be handling the Lightning->USB3 change. [Re: tfabris]
larry818
old hand

Really. Just use bluetooth headphones.

I hate Apple. I really hate itunes on the pc. I really like my iphone 6+.

#365469 - 07/12/2015 20:46 Re: Ah, so that is how apple will be handling the Lightning->USB3 change. [Re: drakino]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Enough hatred to lead to a platform switch over a rumor about a 3.5mm headphone jack? Isn't that a little extreme?

Heh, I can see why you would think that. Indeed, I had been glancing at Android phones for a while now and just needed a good excuse I guess. smile On the other hand, that 3.5" jack rumor came from a source that has been right in the past. So I believe there is a good chance this rumor may be correct also. Apple hasn't been that good at keeping their secrets a secret the last couple of years. Lately, almost all new features of their products were already disclosed before the actual presentation.

#365470 - 07/12/2015 21:38 Re: Ah, so that is how apple will be handling the Lightning->USB3 change. [Re: drakino]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Google for "iPhone 7 3.5mm Jack" and you'll get more than two million hits. Where there's smoke there's fire, maybe.

tanstaafl.

#365471 - 07/12/2015 22:28 Re: Ah, so that is how apple will be handling the Lightning->USB3 change. [Re: larry818]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Really. Just use bluetooth headphones.

I don't know if you meant that seriously or ironically. If you meant it seriously...

The same people who have favorite headphones and who need that 3.5mm jack, they are also likely to care about audio quality. I personally have found that Bluetooth headphones insert a certain amount of data compression artifacts into the audio stream, enough to be noticeable. I haven't looked up the specification details, but to my ear, it appears to be something slightly worse than MP3 128kbps compression when I listen that way.

I still find Bluetooth audio and headphones to be useful in many situations. I just know that some folks would consider the removal of the headphone jack a problem because of audio quality issues.

#365472 - 07/12/2015 22:34 Re: Ah, so that is how apple will be handling the Lightning->USB3 change. [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Going back to something Doug brought up:

Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
I am not a smartphone (or really, even any genre of cell phone) user, but if I were, I would happily pay extra to have a cell phone twice as thick as an iPhone IF that extra volume were devoted exclusively to extra battery. Wouldn't tripling (or more) the battery life be worth giving up the stylistic status of a skinny phone? Or is there some other benefit I don't understand?

I'm with you there, Doug. I think that their market research is probably showing that people want their phones to be slim so that they easily fit in their pockets without being bulky. I think, though, that they've successfully slimmed the phones enough that now they could start to fatten them up a bit to improve battery life.

Of course, some manufacturers make aftermarket "battery cases" which do exactly that: A thicker case around the phone which contains a buffer battery. Don't know how well they work.

#365473 - 08/12/2015 00:29 Re: Ah, so that is how apple will be handling the Lightning->USB3 change. [Re: BartDG]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Archeon
Heh, I can see why you would think that. Indeed, I had been glancing at Android phones for a while now and just needed a good excuse I guess. smile

Understandable. I still dabble and poke at the other platforms out of curiosity. Just recently had a Samsung Galaxy S6 on loan for a month for $1. I think part of my reaction lately is realizing my own failings where I've let irrational hatred guide my actions in the past, and it's usually not led to good areas. Take my reply as more of a gentle nudge to make sure some curiosity of Android is also there for a more pleasant experience smile

Originally Posted By: Archeon
On the other hand, that 3.5" jack rumor came from a source that has been right in the past. So I believe there is a good chance this rumor may be correct also. Apple hasn't been that good at keeping their secrets a secret the last couple of years. Lately, almost all new features of their products were already disclosed before the actual presentation.

That's part of why I hedged my own statement earlier with "I wouldn't put it past Apple to do this". I've also believed some Apple rumors in the past that didn't come to fruition, so I tend to play a wait and see attitude these days. Sometimes the rumors are true at the time, then a change happens to invalidate the rumor.

Apple is leaky with the iPhone hardware due to the scale of that operation, as the leaks come from the supply chain. I've also seen them get better at secrecy in many other areas, more so then the Jobs era. Swift being one of the big "where did that come from" reveals lately. That caught a lot of people inside Apple by surprise due to how secret it was. And now it's at the opposite end of the spectrum, what I'd consider "open" to be, and it's past the "openness" of AOSP.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >