Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#366039 - 23/02/2016 02:36 Re: Router advice wanted [Re: jmwking]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Originally Posted By: jmwking
Aren't you upstairs? Don't you have a floor?
Sure, but the router will be installed downstairs, and the floor is 21 inches of high density concrete covered with porcelain tile.

tanstaafl.

#366040 - 23/02/2016 03:10 Re: Router advice wanted [Re: tanstaafl.]
jmwking
old hand

Loc: Washington, DC metro
Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
Originally Posted By: jmwking
Aren't you upstairs? Don't you have a floor?
Sure, but the router will be installed downstairs, and the floor is 21 inches of high density concrete covered with porcelain tile.

tanstaafl.

But "aren't you upstairs"? "Go down, young man, go down!" said Greely. Or something like that...

-jk

#366047 - 23/02/2016 18:09 Re: Router advice wanted [Re: tanstaafl.]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
I'm probably over-thinking this whole thing.

Well, I suppose if you want to make it easier, just get a caulking gun and a tube of construction adhesive, and just glue the sucker up there. smile

#366053 - 24/02/2016 05:11 Re: Router advice wanted [Re: canuckInOR]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: canuckInOR
I'm probably over-thinking this whole thing.

Well, I suppose if you want to make it easier, just get a caulking gun and a tube of construction adhesive, and just glue the sucker up there. smile
I actually considered that, but the router's "feet" extend past the body of the router to provide ventilation for cooling. I would only have four small contact points to try and attach to a rough plastered ceiling. Wouldn't work.

tanstaafl.

#366054 - 24/02/2016 12:23 Re: Router advice wanted [Re: tanstaafl.]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
I actually considered that, but the router's "feet" extend past the body of the router to provide ventilation for cooling. I would only have four small contact points to try and attach to a rough plastered ceiling. Wouldn't work.
Not even if you sanded the contact areas?

#366055 - 24/02/2016 14:30 Re: Router advice wanted [Re: tanstaafl.]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
No, wouldn't work. Two or four small screws in plugs. Done. Secure.

#366244 - 12/03/2016 07:07 Re: Router advice wanted [Re: mlord]
K447
old hand

Loc: near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: mlord
Mmm.., apparently my recommended AP is still sold:

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WR720N-Wireless-150Mbps-Internal/dp/B008IFXQIW

At USD$21.50, it is a tad expensive (only cost me CAD$12/each when I last bought several), but still an order of magnitude less than some of the otherworldly suggestions here!

Looks really good on a wall or ceiling, too.
Apparently the FCC ground rules are changing regarding unofficial router firmware

#369840 - 28/11/2017 03:24 Re: Router advice wanted [Re: tanstaafl.]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

I have a thin strip of aluminum that can be easily cut and shaped. I'll take 3" long pieces, bend them into an "L" shape, pop-rivet them to the hollow portion of the router's mounting feet, then screw the whole mess into the ceiling with anchor bolts.
Yes, I finally got around to installing the downstairs router on the ceiling of the apartment below mine.

I found a much simpler way of sticking the router to the ceiling, one that will make most of you a bit crazy.

The router has grillwork for cooling on both the top and bottom. By holding the router up to the light, I saw that there was an area about an inch and a half square where I could see right through the middle of the router. So I drilled right through and fastened the router into the ceiling with a single moly bolt. Works great!

I got someone who knows more about networking than I (that would consist of a subset of about 90% of the total population) to configure the downstairs router. It's connected by Ethernet from one of my ports on the upstairs router, and that's about all I understand about it.

tanstaafl.

Attachments
P1110810-W1200.jpg

#369849 - 28/11/2017 14:40 Re: Router advice wanted [Re: tanstaafl.]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I found a much simpler way of sticking the router to the ceiling, one that will make most of you a bit crazy.

Hey, if it works, who cares? I don't think the router is going to suffer from a lack of that half inch square section of ventilation. Being on the ceiling is probably the more thermally challenging aspect, but there should be plenty of airflow around it!

Quote:
I got someone who knows more about networking than I (that would consist of a subset of about 90% of the total population) to configure the downstairs router. It's connected by Ethernet from one of my ports on the upstairs router, and that's about all I understand about it.

There's a few ways it could be set up, but again, if it works then it doesn't matter much. The problems that could arise from an improper configuration (like double NAT) might not even have any real world ramifications.

The only hesitation I'd have about that router is that it's only 802.11g, isn't it? We've gotten to the point where 802.11ac (two generations newer) is completely affordable. Are you able to stream video through that?

Edited by Dignan (28/11/2017 14:45)

#369856 - 28/11/2017 21:11 Re: Router advice wanted [Re: Dignan]
K447
old hand

Originally Posted By: Dignan
The only hesitation I'd have about that router is that it's only 802.11g, isn't it? We've gotten to the point where 802.11ac (two generations newer) is completely affordable. ...
Separate from any speed limitations, old and inexpensive routers tend to accumulate known and unknown unpatched security issues. Firmware updates tend to fade in frequency and eventually become unavailable.

Hacks and botnet infestations of Internet connected devices can be hard to detect after they have succeeded. Absence of router updates can allow them to remain embedded.

Straight up bugs and implementation errors can bedevil a home network for the lifetime of the old router.

#369870 - 29/11/2017 15:58 Re: Router advice wanted [Re: K447]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Originally Posted By: K447
The only hesitation I'd have about that router is that it's only 802.11g, isn't it? We've gotten to the point where 802.11ac (two generations newer) is completely affordable. ...
Separate from any speed limitations, old and inexpensive routers tend to accumulate known and unknown unpatched security issues. Firmware updates tend to fade in frequency and eventually become unavailable.

I assumed that, given it's a WRT54Gx, it was running a 3rd party firmware. I probably shouldn't assume that, or that it'll get updated regularly.

#369872 - 29/11/2017 17:55 Re: Router advice wanted [Re: tanstaafl.]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Not only are newer 802.11ac APs much faster, they're also smaller and many do the auto-updating firmware thing. With your clever ceiling mount, if you could find an AP that supports power-over-Ethernet, you could end up with a very clean install.

#369873 - 29/11/2017 19:22 Re: Router advice wanted [Re: Dignan]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
I assumed that, given it's a WRT54Gx, it was running a 3rd party firmware. I probably shouldn't assume that, or that it'll get updated regularly.
I don't know about the WRT54Gx, but my old WRT54GL didn't get a firmware update in ages. Depending on which version of Tomato, some of them haven't been updated in years, either.

I upgraded more for the speed aspect (the new router is insanely fast compared to that old one), but I love the auto-updating firmware (until ASUS hoses a release up, I guess).

#369874 - 29/11/2017 20:38 Re: Router advice wanted [Re: Tim]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Auto-updating firmware is only good for however long the company decides to keep updating the firmware. I have an auto-updating router (a Belkin AC 1750) which hasn't had a firmware update in a couple years.

Though I have to say that it's been the most reliable wifi router I've had so far. All other routers I've had before this one would require me physically rebooting them every once in a while, this one has been really stable. Possibly because it has its own "reboot on a regular schedule" feature built-in, so I have it reboot itself daily in the wee hours.

#369875 - 29/11/2017 22:07 Re: Router advice wanted [Re: tfabris]
K447
old hand

Originally Posted By: tfabris
Auto-updating firmware is only good for however long the company decides to keep updating the firmware. I have an auto-updating router (a Belkin AC 1750) which hasn't had a firmware update in a couple years.

Though I have to say that it's been the most reliable wifi router I've had so far. All other routers I've had before this one would require me physically rebooting them every once in a while, this one has been really stable. Possibly because it has its own "reboot on a regular schedule" feature built-in, so I have it reboot itself daily in the wee hours.
I use the daily reboot method on the internet ‘modem’ supplied by the ISP. And also for routers that I do not trust to be be stable long term.

I install a Leviton LT113-10W timer between wall power (or UPS) and the internet modem and/or router.

Timer is set to turn on at 4:05AM and turn off at 4:01AM each day.

There is a coin battery inside so the timer clock does not reset when there is a power outage.

The remote tethered button allows someone to cycle power off and on manually, should the need arise to force a reboot of the equipment.

Simple instructions for the home owner to ‘reboot the internet’
Press the single white button and internet equipment should go dark. Wait one minute, then press button again to power it up again. Wait for internet service to resume smile

Regarding availability of updates for a router, choose the router based on the ability and reputation of the company to actually provide such updates. And to get it right.

Edited by K447 (29/11/2017 22:11)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3