Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#36662 - 15/08/2001 15:40 OT a bit - PCMCIA video digitiser
pca
old hand

Loc: UK
Hi.

I'm hoping that, in all the diverse fields that makes up the readership of this BBS, there is someone who could answer a question for me: Where can I get a relatively cheap (ie < $100-150) PCMCIA video digitiser card?

I have a problem, you see. I need to do some portable video grabbing work, and would like to use something reasonably modern, like a computer, and not spend a fortune. I have two nice laptops, and no decent way of getting video into either of them. I can get a USB video input device (crap quality and slow, every one I've tried), perhaps two different makes of PCMCIA videoconferencing card (expensive, and not easily available), a firewire card and firewire external digitiser (expensive to very expensive, but good), or a PCMCIA to PCI bridge with a PCI digitiser (digitiser dirt cheap, external PCI box unbelievably expensive.)

I find it irritating that the cheapest method of using a computer in a mobile application for grabbing live video is to go the route of a desktop box with LCD monitor and a cheap grabber card. At the moment, it's either that or a portable VCR and composite monitor, and do all the work later.

I'm sure that there must be a better, neater way, but I can't find it.

Any ideas, anyone?

pca

Opinions expressed in this email may contain up to 42% water by weight, and are mine. All mine.

#36663 - 15/08/2001 15:51 Re: OT a bit - PCMCIA video digitiser [Re: pca]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
Check to see if your laptop has a docking station with PCI slots. The Thinkpads do. I dont know if this will help.

Calvin

#36664 - 15/08/2001 16:00 Re: OT a bit - PCMCIA video digitiser [Re: eternalsun]
pca
old hand

Loc: UK
Check to see if your laptop has a docking station with PCI slots.

I thought of that. Unfortunately, the older one doesn't (a twinhead p79t) as far as I can find out, and the newer one (a compaq presario 1694) doesn't seem to be referenced on compaq's web site (which has a dreadful search engine )

Thanks for the thought, anyway.

pca

Opinions expressed in this email may contain up to 42% water by weight, and are mine. All mine.

#36665 - 15/08/2001 16:04 Re: OT a bit - PCMCIA video digitiser [Re: pca]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
How about checking here: http://www.techadvice.com/help/Products/V/videoCaptureDevices.htm

Calvin

#36666 - 15/08/2001 16:19 Re: OT a bit - PCMCIA video digitiser [Re: pca]
drakino
carpal tunnel

and the newer one (a compaq presario 1694)

There is only a port replicator available for that one, and it has no video related features on it.

Just as general advice for people looking at Compaq laptops. For the most part, skip over the Presario line and look at the Armada line (Or the new Evo line).

#36667 - 15/08/2001 16:23 Re: OT a bit - PCMCIA video digitiser [Re: drakino]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Oh, and one other thing. The Gateway Solo 9300's had video in and out standard in the earlier chassis. (RCA), then the mini docking station had SVideo in and out. If you really want a complete mobile solution, you might look for a used one, or it's possible the 5300 or 9500 have these features. (They use the same docks).

#36668 - 15/08/2001 16:44 Re: OT a bit - PCMCIA video digitiser [Re: drakino]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I found two different PCMCIA cards that you might be able to shop around for a decent price on. One is the iRez Capsure that says it's Win 98 compatible on some sites, and Mac only on others.

Next is the Margi Capture-to-go. Seems pricy though.

Nogatech did make some as well, but they were bought by Zoran, and the products seemed to disappear.

#36669 - 15/08/2001 23:26 Re: OT a bit - PCMCIA video digitiser [Re: drakino]
smu
old hand

Loc: Germany (Ruhrgebiet)
Hi.

I found two different PCMCIA cards that you might be able to shop around for a decent price on. One is the iRez Capsure that says it's Win 98 compatible on some sites, and Mac only on others.

IRez have beta drivers for win98 available on their website. The beta status may be the reason why they say it is Mac only on their own product page.

cu,
sven

proud MkII owner (12GB blue/green/smoked, was #080000113 is #090001010)