Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#365474 - 08/12/2015 00:34 Re: Ah, so that is how apple will be handling the Lightning->USB3 change. [Re: tanstaafl.]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
Google for "iPhone 7 3.5mm Jack" and you'll get more than two million hits. Where there's smoke there's fire, maybe.

There is only one source of the rumor though. All those google results are people discussing the one source. Or web blogs capitalizing on the opportunity for more ad revenue. Apple news sells, accurate or not. If there's no rumors to generate ad revenue, there's always something to spin into a "-gate" controversy. Much like a broken clock being right twice a day, sometimes these rumors or controversies speak to the truth or scope the problem appropriately.

Once the iPhone 7 case goes into mass production likely in the Spring of 2016, then I'll start putting a little more faith behind this being true. At that point multiple sources could appear from the leaky supply chain.

#365475 - 08/12/2015 00:44 Re: Ah, so that is how apple will be handling the Lightning->USB3 change. [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: tfabris
Originally Posted By: larry818
Really. Just use bluetooth headphones.

The same people who have favorite headphones and who need that 3.5mm jack, they are also likely to care about audio quality.

Theorizing here, the audio quality crowd might be applauding if this rumor is true. It would allow the signal to remain digital all the way across the wire to the headphones and utilize a good DAC inside the headphones closer to the speakers.

Though it looks like the DAC inside the iPhones is already pretty good. With only rumors, and a handful of Lightning headphones in existence, hard to tell what would be better currently.

#365476 - 08/12/2015 00:47 Re: Ah, so that is how apple will be handling the Lightning->USB3 change. [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Of course, some manufacturers make aftermarket "battery cases" which do exactly that: A thicker case around the phone which contains a buffer battery. Don't know how well they work.

I sometimes wonder if my replies are invisible around here wink

#365477 - 08/12/2015 09:16 Re: Ah, so that is how apple will be handling the Lightning->USB3 change. [Re: drakino]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
Originally Posted By: drakino
Originally Posted By: Archeon
Heh, I can see why you would think that. Indeed, I had been glancing at Android phones for a while now and just needed a good excuse I guess. smile

Understandable. I still dabble and poke at the other platforms out of curiosity. Just recently had a Samsung Galaxy S6 on loan for a month for $1. I think part of my reaction lately is realizing my own failings where I've let irrational hatred guide my actions in the past, and it's usually not led to good areas. Take my reply as more of a gentle nudge to make sure some curiosity of Android is also there for a more pleasant experience smile

I thought that was an excellent promotion from Samsung, that $1 for a month of use thing. If something like that had existed over here, I surely would have taken them up on it too.

Of course, this is not about true hatred. Hatred is such a strong word anyway, very much overused (I'm guilty of that too)
I think I read it best just this week, when I read someone claiming that "every system has its pros, it's just about how much you can live with the cons". I think this is very true.
For me:
Apple: very stable, very secure, just works. Cons: not much freedom of movement because Apple dictates it all (but this is probably necessary to make it "just work"), sometimes fewer features because of that, price.
Android: pros: more freedom, cheaper (though not with the true high-end models anymore, like eg. the new Nexus 6P) cons: not as secure, higher learning curve.(though I guess this is getting a lot better with recent Android builds)

I'm not considering other OS'es like Windows phone, Ubuntu or Firefox. wink

That's part of why I hedged my own statement earlier with "I wouldn't put it past Apple to do this". I've also believed some Apple rumors in the past that didn't come to fruition, so I tend to play a wait and see attitude these days. Sometimes the rumors are true at the time, then a change happens to invalidate the rumor.

Even more, I think if any company would "dare" to do this, it would be Apple. But indeed, wait and see is the best policy I guess.

#365478 - 08/12/2015 15:21 Re: Ah, so that is how apple will be handling the Lightning->USB3 change. [Re: drakino]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Of course, some manufacturers make aftermarket "battery cases" which do exactly that: A thicker case around the phone which contains a buffer battery. Don't know how well they work.

And now Apple sells their own.

#365479 - 08/12/2015 15:27 Re: Ah, so that is how apple will be handling the Lightning->USB3 change. [Re: Dignan]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted By: Dignan

For an Apple product, that is shockingly ugly.

#365480 - 08/12/2015 15:42 Re: Ah, so that is how apple will be handling the Lightning->USB3 change. [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Really. Just use bluetooth headphones.

I don't know if you meant that seriously or ironically. If you meant it seriously...

The same people who have favorite headphones and who need that 3.5mm jack, they are also likely to care about audio quality.

If there's one thing we've learned over and over again, it's that the audiophile community is so small as to be meaningless to the likes of Apple and Google. The majority of smartphone buyers just don't care. From low bitrate to bluetooth audio, people want convenience far more than audio quality. Have you seen how many LG Tone headphones are out there now? I see them more than Beats headphones now.

And speaking of Beats, I'll bet that if this rumor is true, when they announce the iPhone 7 you might see a line of Beats headphones with the lightning jack built in. Or perhaps a model with a swappable cable.

Back on point. Tony, have you tested any bluetooth 3 or 4 headphones? I'd be interested in knowing if the audio quality has improved. From what I've read, it's something they were focusing on in versions 3/4. I'm an LG Tone owner, and my bluetooth 3 headphones (with "aptX" or whatever) sound pretty darn good.

I'm in the unusual (for me) position of defending Apple on this one smile I wouldn't care if the headphone jack went away. The one concern I'd have is that if you were to move to using the lightning for headphones, it might put too much additional stress on that connection.

Quote:
I still find Bluetooth audio and headphones to be useful in many situations. I just know that some folks would consider the removal of the headphone jack a problem because of audio quality issues.

Bluetooth headphones are just soooo much more convenient. The only drawback is having another device to charge, although I get really great battery life with mine.

Every time I've used headphones to listen to stuff around the house during chores, I end up getting the cord snagged on something. If I'm doing the dishes, I'll get caught on a drawer pull three or four times. My LG Tone headphones are one of my top 10 favorite gadgets I own.

#365481 - 08/12/2015 15:44 Re: Ah, so that is how apple will be handling the Lightning->USB3 change. [Re: robricc]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: robricc
Originally Posted By: Dignan

For an Apple product, that is shockingly ugly.

It doesn't bug me too much. My guess is that they went for the bump in order to get a unibody design and not mess with the camera area too much.

#365482 - 08/12/2015 16:01 Re: Ah, so that is how apple will be handling the Lightning->USB3 change. [Re: robricc]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
You don't say, that may well be the ugliest bit of hardware Apple have ever made. That is shockingly bad.

#365483 - 08/12/2015 17:24 Re: Ah, so that is how apple will be handling the Lightning->USB3 change. [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Bringing the thread full circle, the first USB 3.0 speed Lightning product. Lightning to SD card reader.

#365484 - 08/12/2015 19:18 Re: Ah, so that is how apple will be handling the Lightning->USB3 change. [Re: drakino]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR

No, I saw it! First thing I thought of when I read Tony's post.

Of course, not having a cell phone, and not caring if Apple gets rid of their headphone jack, I'm only really reading this thread in case there are any good digressions. smile

#365492 - 09/12/2015 12:01 Re: Ah, so that is how apple will be handling the Lightning->USB3 change. [Re: canuckInOR]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Originally Posted By: canuckInOR
Of course, not having a cell phone, and not caring if Apple gets rid of their headphone jack, I'm only really reading this thread in case there are any good digressions. smile
If work didn't force me to have a cell phone, I wouldn't have one either. People do seem to get a kick out of my (work provided) flip phone, though.

#365544 - 15/12/2015 18:40 Re: Ah, so that is how apple will be handling the Lightning->USB3 change. [Re: tfabris]
larry818
old hand

Loc: Fullerton, Calif.
I don't know if you meant that seriously or ironically. If you meant it seriously...

Semi-seriously. For the last few years I've been using wireless Sennheiser headphones that are really a work of crap. My daughter's no brand bluetooth headphones sound fantastic in comparison.

#365872 - 03/02/2016 19:04 Re: Ah, so that is how apple will be handling the Lightning->USB3 change. [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

The headphone jack removal rumor keeps bubbling up in places as it moves through the layers of reporting. A podcast I listen to brought up another angle.

A headphone jack on the outside looks like a circle, and often on phones is helping to illustrate the thickness of the device. It's important to also remember it's a cylinder needing to occupy a fair amount of internal space. That plug and jack has already shrank from it's origins from the quarter inch (6.35mm) size to the mini headphone jack popularized I believe by the Walkman.

Getting rid of that intrusion into the interior space of the phone would allow a battery to increase in volume without changing the thickness of the device.

iFixit's teardown of the iPhone 5s has a good photo illustrating this. The headphone jack is on the bottom left, and the top of it touches the battery. It looks like design wise that dictated some other factors there, with some space on the right side being used for the speaker cavity. The iPhone (and many other devices) avoids placing the headphone jack directly under the screen.

Current Apple rumors claim that an iPhone 5 sized device is going to return to the lineup with iPhone 6/6s like features for those who prefer smaller devices. There's a chance this headphone rumor might be verified as true for that device first in March, ahead of a possible iPhone 7 later this year.

#365875 - 03/02/2016 23:51 Re: Ah, so that is how apple will be handling the Lightning->USB3 change. [Re: drakino]
larry818
old hand

the mini headphone jack popularized I believe by the Walkman.

The mini size was used by most of the "transistor" pocket radios of the 1950s.

#365876 - 04/02/2016 07:22 Re: Ah, so that is how apple will be handling the Lightning->USB3 change. [Re: larry818]
drakino
carpal tunnel

The mini size was used by most of the "transistor" pocket radios of the 1950s.

Oops, right. Looked up the Walkman again, I was misremembering the dual mini headphone jacks it launched with, which in some places popularized shared private listening.

#365877 - 04/02/2016 12:17 Re: Ah, so that is how apple will be handling the Lightning->USB3 change. [Re: tfabris]
larry818
old hand

I didn't remember that about it. I had the recording walkman, which I sneaked into concerts. Wonderful stuff, Sony. I pretty much only used it for recording, and it broke probably before 100 usages, while being treated like glass. Of course everything Sony makes is unrepairable...

My daughters sure have it good. iPhones with bluetooth earbuds, they can listed to music all day in high school. In my day, headphones were huge and music sources were the size of bricks. Very hard to conceal from even the most tedious of teachers.

#366881 - 19/06/2016 04:53 Re: Ah, so that is how apple will be handling the Lightning->USB3 change. [Re: larry818]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
I had assumed it was moved to the bottom because the phone always ends up in my pocket upside-down. It is more convenient in that regard.

Mainly it was moved because the "forehead" area is very busy. There's the driver ledge (with the glass-mounted chip that drives the display), two cameras, the earpiece (complete with hearing aid compatibility, which means a bigger coil), antennas for gps, wifi, bluetooth and cellular (secondary TX, because transmitting out the bottom is better for SAR as it's further from your head), proximity sensor, several microphones and loads of flexes.

Much easier to have it down in the main antenna area where the main occupants are antennas, menu/touch button, lightning connector, speaker+acoustic volume and a mic. Less flexes, more room in general.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2