Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#371401 - 23/11/2018 18:36 Why would chrome be offering to translate the home page of my router
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
I log into my router via chrome and am offered to have the home page translated from Chinese to English. Seems strange that this would happen for a page served from the routers nat address.

#371402 - 23/11/2018 19:30 Re: Why would chrome be offering to translate the home page of my router [Re: gbeer]
jmwking
old hand

Loc: Washington, DC metro
I don't think Chrome cares where the page originates.

What language is the page in to start with? Does viewing the page source (<ctrl>-u) show anything unusual?

-jk

#371403 - 23/11/2018 22:43 Re: Why would chrome be offering to translate the home page of my router [Re: gbeer]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
A lot of routers have a choice of UI languages. Perhaps yours thinks you (or previous user) has selected Chinese?

#371404 - 24/11/2018 05:59 Re: Why would chrome be offering to translate the home page of my router [Re: gbeer]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
My guess is that the router's homepage HTML is not well formatted. I'll bet that the HTML was originally written in Chinese and was then localized to English. However the base HTML of the page still contains some leftover vestiges of its Chinese origins, and that's what Chrome is tripping up on. Have a scrape round the Page Source and I'll bet you'll find something.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2467...guage-and-offer

#371453 - 02/01/2019 01:01 Re: Why would chrome be offering to translate the home page of my router [Re: gbeer]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
It’s in English. Always has been.

#371455 - 02/01/2019 19:11 Re: Why would chrome be offering to translate the home page of my router [Re: gbeer]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
What brand and model router is it, and what version of the router firmware is it running?

Have you been able to look at the "Page Source" of the page it's offering to translate? I mean, yes, I believe you that the page is written in English when viewing normally, but does the raw source code show anything that Chrome might be flagging as translatable?

I'm not certain, but I'm guessing that all that Chrome does is to scan the page and see if there's anything in Chinese. You see only English there, but maybe there's something in Chinese, perhaps something not visible, or at least, not easily visible. Such as something printed in white-on-white text (visible only if you Select All), or something in a hidden DIV, or perhaps an ALT tag that didn't get localized.

I'm also assuming that this only started happening recently, rather than something that's been ongoing for a long time, correct? If so, then my guess is that one of two things must have changed: Chrome changed its translator behavior in a recent update to make it more sensitive, or, the router firmware got updated to include a regression in its localization as I described above.