For anyone who cares, I recently upgraded my MK2 11GB PATA disk to a 250GB SATA using this adapter: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/313121918125?ViewItem=&item=313121918125
There is insufficient space for the disk to be attached normally so I rotated it 90' and drilled new mounting holes. I also added a couple of washers to lift the front to make it easy to add/remove the adapter so disk can be USB mounted when / if required. (Longer screws required)
I had the disk from an old laptop so a $6 gamble/investment made more sense than buying something with a PATA interface of some sort.
The image installed and loaded without issue and while emplode showed the new disk size, 250GB, the disk itself was formatted in a way that only allowed about 3 or 4GB to be stored. From memory, it might have run out of inodes.
By USB mounting the disk, I deleted and re-created the partition and ran the tuning commands, and then transferred the old music files back, along with the database and other configuration settings and the "special" partition.
I then added about 100GB using emplode/jemplode with no issues.
Suspect any future fsck will not be successful on this volume, not enough RAM.
Not used the car a lot, but its been 2 months and no issues (so far)